General Honda F1 Topic

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
ispano6

Re: General Honda F1 Topic

_cerber1

bigblue

bigblue wrote:
03 Sep 2020, 12:40
Honda do seem genuinely fond of STR :-)
Today will do no harm either :-) Brilliant.

ispano6

RACE REVIEW

Pierre took an astonishing maiden Formula 1 victory in a dramatic Italian Grand Prix, leading the second half of the race and withstanding incredible pressure at Monza. Icing on the cake came from the fact this is the team’s home race and also its fiftieth Grand Prix in partnership with Honda.

The win is also very significant as it is the first time that victory has gone to a team outside what is considered the “top three” since the start of the hybrid era of Formula 1 in 2014. Another interesting stat is that, thanks to the four wins Honda has taken over the past two years with Aston Martin Red Bull Racing, Honda is therefore also the only PU manufacturer to have powered two different teams to victory in the hybrid era. The race got off to a relatively normal start, with Max slotting into seventh after a fight with Lance Stroll in the opening laps and putting pressure on Valtteri Bottas ahead. Further back, Pierre ran tenth and Daniil 11th, while Alex was unfortunate after light contact with Pierre at Turn 1 saw him run wide and drop back in the field. Daniil had started on hard tyres compared to softs for the other three cars and was well placed in 11th early on, as the opening laps saw Alex overtake Charles Leclerc when he started his fightback. Scuderia AlphaTauri then pulled off an excellent bit of anticipation strategy by bringing Pierre in for hard tyres when Kevin Magnussen stopped on track, pitting and rejoining before a Safety Car period that saw the pit lane closed for a spell due to the position of the Haas. That move promoted Pierre to third on the road once the rest of the field was able to stop - including Max, Daniil and Alex - but the race was soon halted altogether and turned completely on its head. Leclerc had a big crash at the halfway point, thankfully emerging uninjured from his Ferrari but with the incident causing a red flag as the barrier at the final corner needed repairing. Teams were allowed to change tyres at this point, with Pierre in third switching to new medium tyres on what was officially lap 26, while Max and Daniil took used mediums and Alex went for hards. The race was restarted with a standing start and Pierre immediately jumped Stroll off the line to take second place, which became the lead as Lewis Hamilton came into the pits to take a penalty - for pitting when the pit lane was closed - at the end of that lap. With 26 laps remaining, Pierre pulled away at the front while Max sadly had to retire as we spotted an issue on the power unit. With Alex carrying damage, he was caught in traffic and unable to make progress back into the points, but Daniil was fighting in the top ten. At the front, Pierre had pulled out a gap but saw Carlos Sainz closing in over the final 15 laps, eventually getting into DRS range. But Pierre judged his race perfectly, making no mistakes under immense pressure and crossing the line 0.4s clear to take an emotional first F1 victory, and our first with AlphaTauri. Daniil continued his battling drive to the flag and finished ninth to add another two points to his total, while Alex was limited to 15th at the back of a queue of cars as Aston Martin Red Bull Racing estimated he was losing a second per lap in performance due to damage.

Sieper

This is actually still a good day for Honda, Thanks to Pierre and SAT! Hopefully this will be positive for them continuing on.

GhostF1

Confirmation Honda are staying beyond 2021???

This was posted this morning.

ispano6

GhostF1 wrote:
07 Sep 2020, 02:17

Yes it is.

etusch

GhostF1 wrote:
07 Sep 2020, 02:17

Thank you @GhostF1. good news

bigblue

I wouldn't trust a social media posting celebrating a win as definitive proof of continuation post-2021, don't get me wrong, I would like it to be true, but think you're reading too much into this ?

Sieper

No, me neither. But at least a positive sign.

Revs84

I think all the field managers want to stay, especially now that they have good relationships after 3 miserable years. Sadly, the final decision is down to the board members who generally look only at numbers on their spreadsheets.

It's clear to see though that Honda are extremely happy with their relationship with SAT. With the the budget caps decreasing over the coming years, we can also expect more RB resources to move to SAT.

There's a good chance that resources wise, SAT might be on par with RB. That can only be positive for Honda since they could regularly have 2 teams fighting for wins.

And that's also why Gasly might want to consider staying there. He's fairly accomplished there at this point and could build the team around him. Moving to RB will demote him to no. 2 in a car that currently has more potential, but is very hard to drive.

GhostF1

bigblue wrote:
07 Sep 2020, 09:05
I wouldn't trust a social media posting celebrating a win as definitive proof of continuation post-2021, don't get me wrong, I would like it to be true, but think you're reading too much into this ?
I wasn't saying this is definitely confirmation. Posted it merely as a suggestion this was a possible hint. Thought the ??? I added would of helped. My bad!

Nonetheless I hope it's true, they all want to stay, and they have unfinished business, they've come so so far.. Sign until 2025, see this engine era out at least!

etusch

GhostF1 wrote:
07 Sep 2020, 11:23
bigblue wrote:
07 Sep 2020, 09:05
I wasn't saying this is definitely confirmation. Posted it merely as a suggestion this was a possible hint. Thought the ??? I added would of helped. My bad!

Nonetheless I hope it's true, they all want to stay, and they have unfinished business, they've come so so far.. Sign until 2025, see this engine era out at least!
If they leave without title it will be second time they leave without completing job

nzjrs

I've looked quite a few times for Honda F1 merchandise, and can't seem to find anything decent. Can anyone share a link to the best they have found that one can buy?

PlatinumZealot

After following this Honda PU project from the beginning, never thought it would come to this. This is amazing.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏