Reverse grid gimmick is go!

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Just_a_fan

Reverse grid gimmick is go!

Ross Brawn is going to reactivate the idea of reverse grid "qualifying".

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/54063417

It seems they'll try anything to slow down Mercedes.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

LM10

Re: Reverse grid gimmick is go!

I don't think it's about slowing down Mercedes. It's rather Liberty/F1 seeking for artificial show and I hate it.

They're trying to turn the racing business more and more into show business.

Mamba

Sunday was extra special because it doesn't happen often. While I think in reverse grid qualifying part it is part meant to slow the Merc's down it will ruin the sport. If they really want to change something - fix the cars first so that they can follow better. Hopefully 2022 sorts that out along with the changes in development to close the gap.

The only 'sensible' change to quali would be one lap quali in reverse championship order. This offers the better track conditions to the back marker teams and will give them some extra TV time on Saturdays and hopefully on Sundays too if they get a good starting position. But even that is meddling in something that isn't broken.

Maritimer

Mamba wrote:
08 Sep 2020, 08:43
Sunday was extra special because it doesn't happen often. While I think in reverse grid qualifying part it is part meant to slow the Merc's down it will ruin the sport. If they really want to change something - fix the cars first so that they can follow better. Hopefully 2022 sorts that out along with the changes in development to close the gap.

The only 'sensible' change to quali would be one lap quali in reverse championship order. This offers the better track conditions to the back marker teams and will give them some extra TV time on Saturdays and hopefully on Sundays too if they get a good starting position. But even that is meddling in something that isn't broken.
Wouldn't reverse order mean the best drivers/cars go last? That would benefit them most of the time as the track would be well rubbered in at that point.

Wass85

I just can't see how it would work without gamesmanship rearing it's head?

El Scorchio

LM10 wrote:
08 Sep 2020, 08:33
I don't think it's about slowing down Mercedes. It's rather Liberty/F1 seeking for artificial show and I hate it.

100%.

Especially considering what Brawn said. Sure Sunday’s race was fun, entertaining and different but I wish they’d stop trying to actively randomise the on track order of the cars.

Wass85

LM10 wrote:
08 Sep 2020, 08:33

But don't you think that's necessary to stop the sport slowly dying out?

I don't like it at all but surely you've got to admit it would attract more viewers than the current format where 99% of the time the best car wins?

NathanOlder

If they do it, surely it needs to be done in the same format as Formula 2 but with a whole grid being reversed rather than the tp 8. Have 2 races with the reverse grid race only awarding half points or less.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

Mamba

Maritimer wrote:
08 Sep 2020, 09:08
Mamba wrote:
08 Sep 2020, 08:43

Wouldn't reverse order mean the best drivers/cars go last? That would benefit them most of the time as the track would be well rubbered in at that point.
I think you misunderstood me. My point is that the championship leader goes first and so we continue down the list. So using today's standings Hamilton would go first on a green track and Russel would go out last and theoretically have the best track conditions to set his time on.

But like I said - even such an idea is meddling in something that isn't broken.

Wass85

I'm trying to think of proposals that aren't too costly to run.

What about having a 30-45 min qualifying session on Saturday with full points given and a reverse grid in qualifying order on Sunday that is also full points?

Wass85

Wass85 wrote:
08 Sep 2020, 09:45
I'm trying to think of proposals that aren't too costly to run.

What about having a 30-45 min qualifying session on Saturday with full points given and a reverse grid in qualifying order on Sunday that is also full points?

Maybe change the points system to give points out further down the order as well.

Phil

You can't be serious. I really expected more of Brawn. And if this race (Monza) was anything to go by, it showed a train full of cars with practically no overtaking, except Lewis Hamilton overtaking a bunch of much slower cars. Pretty much everyone else was neutralized. If you have reverse grids and they line up in the reverse order of their ultimate speed, there will be no overtakes, because the time delta gap between the cars in contention to another will be too little. You'd be daft to want it. Artificial excitement. I get people are bored with Hamilton/Mercedes dominating, but in order to value the achievements in sport and over time, you first need the basis of a genuine championship. Hamilton/Mercedes dominating is a result of them as a team doing the best job under the current rules and producing the best package. Gasly's win was a legitimate win. If you fall down to reverse style grids, you are devaluing the achievement.

I'd be baffled if they go through with something like this.
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

mem

in such scenario what prevent Mercedes or RBR from doing slow sprint race to finish last to start first on Sunday ?

Deadpool

That idea is a bucket full of BS. A pathetic attempt to create artificial excitement when the existing rules and strong restrictions killed the spontaneity of racing. All they have to do is install sprinklers next to the track and i can start following some other sport ...

Wass85

mem wrote:
08 Sep 2020, 09:53
in such scenario what prevent Mercedes or RBR from doing slow sprint race to finish last to start first on Sunday ?
In my proposals there would be no sprint race, just qualifying that awards points. That way teams will have to do their best or lose out on points on Saturday.