[ 2020 ] Renault F1 Team - Renault

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Big Tea

Re: [ 2020 ] Renault F1 Team - Renault

Mclarensenna wrote:
08 Sep 2020, 10:16
Jambier wrote:
08 Sep 2020, 10:04
HUL was way better than OCO

But they get rid of him because he was "negative".
Actually, I think he spoke the truth to Abiteboul that does not like that.

This week in Monza, Renault'boss Luca Di Meo was here, so I think Abiteboul did not want bad comments

But yeah, OCO not impressive, bad mood, every french was happy for GAS... except him.
I don"t see a bright future for him honestly.

I think Renault would be better off with GAS or RUS or anyone else like that
I agree Renault should try get Gasly in the car to replace Ocon. Gasly has been performing at the highest level all year long.
The worst possible outcome for Gasly would be to partner Alonso next year
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

Mclarensenna

Big Tea wrote:
08 Sep 2020, 12:39
Mclarensenna wrote:
Jambier wrote:
08 Sep 2020, 10:04
HUL was way better than OCO

But they get rid of him because he was "negative".
Actually, I think he spoke the truth to Abiteboul that does not like that.

This week in Monza, Renault'boss Luca Di Meo was here, so I think Abiteboul did not want bad comments

But yeah, OCO not impressive, bad mood, every french was happy for GAS... except him.
I don"t see a bright future for him honestly.

I think Renault would be better off with GAS or RUS or anyone else like that
I agree Renault should try get Gasly in the car to replace Ocon. Gasly has been performing at the highest level all year long.
Worse than partnering Max at Redbull again?

Big Tea

Mclarensenna wrote:
08 Sep 2020, 13:35
Big Tea wrote:
Mclarensenna wrote:

Yes, because he knows what thats like. In a new team it would all be new. No allegiances or familiarity with engineers etc, and being Alonso, he would want them all on his side (understandably)
Also, no return to STR if it flops
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

PowerandtheGlory

To be honest ud like to see George Russell and Alonso at Renault. Im sure Merc could loan him to them and see how he goes in a front running car..
“I don't believe in luck, luck is preparation and taking your opportunity” Ross Brawn

Mclarensenna

Big Tea wrote:
08 Sep 2020, 14:29
Mclarensenna wrote:
Big Tea wrote:

Yes, because he knows what thats like. In a new team it would all be new. No allegiances or familiarity with engineers etc, and being Alonso, he would want them all on his side (understandably)
Max already wiped the floor with him in a very big way. He knows deep down it will happen again. Gasly is ambitious but i doubt he is that naive to think he has any chance in beating Max in the same team as they were not even remotely close in qualifying nor in race pace. Especially knowing Redbull even admitted Albon does not get the exact same car/parts. So Redbulls priority will be Max which compounds the problem further. Alonso is 40 next year after a 2 year F1 sabatical. He will be declining every year while Max is still only 22 and will be improving still.

I know which choice i would make if i had both hypothetical opportunities on the table.

Mclarensenna

PowerandtheGlory wrote:
08 Sep 2020, 14:49
To be honest ud like to see George Russell and Alonso at Renault. I'm sure Merc could loan him to them and see how he goes in a front running car..
I definately think Russell has potential and would love to see him paired up with a half decent driver. All we know so far is he easily beat a driver with 1 hand and a pay driver. Merc instead of loaning him should put him in the Merc to replace Bottas who is no challenge for Hamilton at all.

SmallSoldier

PowerandtheGlory wrote:
Rushu wrote:
06 Sep 2020, 22:38
Ocon Post Race Radio - Argument with Engineer/Cyril
Well, thats uncomfortable.. they need to nip that in the bud.. no driver/engineer relationship at all...
This is not about a good or bad relationship... Simply put, Ocon wanted to complain about decisions on an open Mic at the end of the race and the engineer probably already had orders to not allow it... He congratulates him, Ocon tries to go on the rant and he asks nicely to leave it for later... Ocon disregards (because of course, his full of adrenaline just finishing a race) and he get’s cut off stronger for him to get the point.

Policy to not discuss / complain after the race is a valid one and if decided by the team, needs to be enforced... I don’t think that it is eroding any relationships, simply had to be managed that way yesterday (a day in which Renault had their CEO around and when they were announcing the renaming to Alpine).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

PowerandtheGlory

SmallSoldier wrote:
08 Sep 2020, 17:39
PowerandtheGlory wrote:
Rushu wrote:
06 Sep 2020, 22:38
Ocon Post Race Radio - Argument with Engineer/Cyril
Well, thats uncomfortable.. they need to nip that in the bud.. no driver/engineer relationship at all...
This is not about a good or bad relationship... Simply put, Ocon wanted to complain about decisions on an open Mic at the end of the race and the engineer probably already had orders to not allow it... He congratulates him, Ocon tries to go on the rant and he asks nicely to leave it for later... Ocon disregards (because of course, his full of adrenaline just finishing a race) and he get’s cut off stronger for him to get the point.

Policy to not discuss / complain after the race is a valid one and if decided by the team, needs to be enforced... I don’t think that it is eroding any relationships, simply had to be managed that way yesterday (a day in which Renault had their CEO around and when they were announcing the renaming to Alpine).

I agree with the comment about the ceo being there, but the engineer was a bit abrupt, and could have just followed the normal in lap procedure (drive off line pick up marbles etc) but the way he shut him down felt a bit tense... it needs to be more harmonious..
“I don't believe in luck, luck is preparation and taking your opportunity” Ross Brawn

selvam_e2002

Mclarensenna wrote:
08 Sep 2020, 14:58
Big Tea wrote:
Mclarensenna wrote:

Max already wiped the floor with him in a very big way. He knows deep down it will happen again. Gasly is ambitious but i doubt he is that naive to think he has any chance in beating Max in the same team as they were not even remotely close in qualifying nor in race pace. Especially knowing Redbull even admitted Albon does not get the exact same car/parts. So Redbulls priority will be Max which compounds the problem further. Alonso is 40 next year after a 2 year F1 sabatical. He will be declining every year while Max is still only 22 and will be improving still.

I know which choice i would make if i had both hypothetical opportunities on the table.
I don't think Alonso performance will go down in coming years. He is more adoptable than other drivers in current F1. He adjust him self with car's way not drivers way. Thats why still teams looking for his service and he could even come to F1 at the age of 39.

I doubt about Max. Take an example of Vettel. Grown up in RB and he could not adjust him self with other cars. It can happen to Max as well. We only see his true potential after he come out from RB comfort zone. Till then we can speculate that he is a top driver.

chgarciasys

selvam_e2002 wrote:
Mclarensenna wrote:
Big Tea wrote:

I don't think Alonso performance will go down in coming years. He is more adoptable than other drivers in current F1. He adjust him self with car's way not drivers way. Thats why still teams looking for his service and he could even come to F1 at the age of 39.

I doubt about Max. Take an example of Vettel. Grown up in RB and he could not adjust him self with other cars. It can happen to Max as well. We only see his true potential after he come out from RB comfort zone. Till then we can speculate that he is a top driver.
Michael Schumacher Is another example... After Ferrari era he never adapted to Mercedes car because of it's balance.

Enviado desde mi moto e(6) plus mediante Tapatalk

Chalke

An interesting insight.

Neno

chgarciasys wrote:
09 Sep 2020, 13:17
selvam_e2002 wrote:
Mclarensenna wrote:

Michael Schumacher Is another example... After Ferrari era he never adapted to Mercedes car because of it's balance.

Enviado desde mi moto e(6) plus mediante Tapatalk
Schumacher driven many different cars and come to Ferrari as champion. He won without being associated with Ferrari. Hell he made Ferrari Ferrari.

SmallSoldier

PowerandtheGlory wrote:
SmallSoldier wrote:
PowerandtheGlory wrote: Well, thats uncomfortable.. they need to nip that in the bud.. no driver/engineer relationship at all...

I agree with the comment about the ceo being there, but the engineer was a bit abrupt, and could have just followed the normal in lap procedure (drive off line pick up marbles etc) but the way he shut him down felt a bit tense... it needs to be more harmonious..
Sometimes you just need to “nip it in the bud”... He tells him that they were going to discuss it afterwards (in the office)... Ocon doesn’t cares / complies and continues with the questioning... Ocon once again tries to argue and Ciryl intervenes (the fact that Cyril intervened at the end is what makes the it very clear that they didn’t wanted any negative comments... It actually seemed like they were ready for Ocon to complain and knew they would have to cut him off quickly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mclarensenna

SmallSoldier wrote:
10 Sep 2020, 02:09
PowerandtheGlory wrote:
SmallSoldier wrote:

Sometimes you just need to “nip it in the bud”... He tells him that they were going to discuss it afterwards (in the office)... Ocon doesn’t cares / complies and continues with the questioning... Ocon once again tries to argue and Ciryl intervenes (the fact that Cyril intervened at the end is what makes the it very clear that they didn’t wanted any negative comments... It actually seemed like they were ready for Ocon to complain and knew they would have to cut him off quickly.

Absolutely! very well explained. It did seem Cyril had his finger in the mic ready to jump in. You have to complain a lot behind the scenes for the boss to shut you down like that. A double shut down like that. The irony is Ocon was behind Ric on track due to his own poor qualifying. And the lead driver in F1 generally gets the better strategy. So what could Renault have done apart from having a crystal ball to predict the red flag period? Ocon was on a faster tyre and could not pass Ric which he did try. If he was on the same tyre or harder tyre than Ric than it would have made no difference at all as he still would have ended up behind Ric. So why is Ocon complaining?

The main thing Ocon did wrong was over burn up his tyres trying to pass Ric and fell so far back after. Look how well Gasly managed his tyres up front in a slower car. All Ocon had to do was manage his pace and end up 8 seconds behind Ric to hold off Ham which he did not do and got passed on the final lap. Either way 7th or 8th the team was happy as that was the maximum Renault could do based on how the race unfolded. Ocon should forget this and try focus on outqualifying Ric at the next race and getting a better result that way.

PowerandtheGlory

SmallSoldier wrote:
10 Sep 2020, 02:09
PowerandtheGlory wrote:
SmallSoldier wrote:

Yea, it might be made worse by the fact that its at the end of the race and adrenalin is high, but i think when you starts talking over each other on the radio it gets a but messy- as you cant hear what's really being said. I agree i think they knew Ocon was ready to complain, and he didn't have the optimum tyre on the last stint. Maybe its inexperience, but the driver words are broadcast- so any driver knows they can use this a megaphone to the outside world (far more watch the races than all the press stuff) and sometimes a tactful speech (like Ricc's )can go a long way to help perception of you as a driver. Equally a positive speech after a good result can make you look mature and forward thinking.. Hamilton has got this down to a tea- although a bit cringe he is always very PR on the radio after a race (normally because he's winning) but it goes a long way to enamour yourself to the team.. you seem like a part of the team - rather than the Moany overpaid DIva driver.. Now im not suggesting Ocon is this- however he's been 2nd best this year to Ricc, and next year Alonso comes in and we know he is a strong character - Ocon is likely to be a frustrated peripheral figure and forgotten quickly unless he can do more to 'be liked' by the team. It seems he- and his engineer need to have a beer and a pizza and get along a bit better..