2 stroke thread (with occasional F1 relevance!)

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
coaster

Re: 2 stroke thread (with occasional F1 relevance!)

Its been done before, i truly am humbled by your internal combustion designs, but you have a long road ahead to develop the flyer.
I tried designing a 'toon' delta wing, built a model and it would not leave the ground for long as it was heavy and underpowered.
The centre of pressure was too far forward and one has to poorly place the centre of gravity remedy this.
Aviation is a vast ocean of knowledge and my skills may only fill a coffee cup.

nzjrs

I think he will never actually build and fly the prototype - it's all performative here with the images of kids on see-saws, animals flying, weird analogies, etc. In his heart of hearts I think manolis knows he is out of his leage and won't risk his personal safety.

In some sense I think we should stop encouraging his delusions.

Rodak

Speaking of which, manolis now claims one will be able to control his 'flyer' by moving one's head....... Delusions indeed with a body hanging from a steel frame while limbs are flopping in the airstream and pulled by gravity.

63l8qrrfy6

Well, if you sky-dive with a go pro attached to your helmet you can steer by moving your head to some extent.
Speaking of which, is it a coincidence that the flyer's maximum velocity is more or less the same as a sky-diver's terminal velocity ? :)

tok-tokkie

nzjrs wrote:
09 Sep 2020, 14:38
I think he will never actually build and fly the prototype - it's all performative here with the images of kids on see-saws, animals flying, weird analogies, etc. In his heart of hearts I think manolis knows he is out of his leage and won't risk his personal safety.

When it flies what are you going to do?
Especially when it flies hands free?

63l8qrrfy6

tok-tokkie wrote:
09 Sep 2020, 18:12
nzjrs wrote:

alert the nearest hospital

nzjrs

tok-tokkie wrote:
09 Sep 2020, 18:12
nzjrs wrote:

Be very happy for him, and then go home and continue to tell my kids to never replace analysis with analogy.

(after alerting the nearest hospital)

Rodak

I for one would admit I was wrong and offer congratulations.

Having said that I have no idea why he doesn't build a model and test it; it would be easy to build and would answer a lot of questions like 'is it controllable' without danger to anyone.

Brake Horse Power

Advise to watch the engine status while being 200ft up.. Handsfree

gruntguru

nzjrs wrote:

I think you are well out of line with this post.
Of all the inventors on the internet, there are very few who produce working prototypes at the rate Manolis does. Given his track record, I have no doubt Manolis will produce a flyer and there will be a queue of volunteers to fly the thing if Manolis chooses not to risk his own safety.
je suis charlie

gruntguru

coaster wrote:
09 Sep 2020, 11:45

Its been done before, i truly am humbled by your internal combustion designs, but you have a long road ahead to develop the flyer.
Wow - great find coaster!

This video says a lot about stability - imagine trying to control this thing with it rigidly connected to the shoulders and no handlebars! Manolis' flyer will be a lot lighter which will help - mass of the power unit sitting above the pivot point is a problem in the video. No attempts to transition to horizontal flight??

Manolis - I suggest you design with the pivot instant centre above the powerplant CoG.
je suis charlie

Rodak

Manolis - I suggest you design with the pivot instant centre above the powerplant CoG.
Good advice, except manolis has repeatedly stated that there in no pivot; the whole thing is rigid and the frame extends to the waist of the 'flyer'. It's been suggested many times that he incorporate a pivot........

gruntguru

Thanks. I believe the best method would be attachment via flexures which converge to a point above the powerplant.
je suis charlie

NathanE

gruntguru wrote:
10 Sep 2020, 02:39
Thanks. I believe the best method would be attachment via flexures which converge to a point above the powerplant.
As noted above this is what many of us have suggested investigating. To date there has been a consistent rejection of this idea based on the idea that control will be delivered by airflow redirection and cog shift purely based on hip flexion. Those of us with a concern about this are interested to understand how yaw and roll control will be managed on this basis and how positive (nose "up") pitch control is possible given restrictions of hip flexion (I.e. hips bend "forwards" much more easily than "backwards")

nzjrs

gruntguru wrote:
09 Sep 2020, 23:53
nzjrs wrote:
I think you are well out of line with this post.
Perhaps. Althought I have on several other occasions reiterated that I have nothing but admiration and respect for the engine side of the project.
gruntguru wrote:
10 Sep 2020, 02:39
There have been numerous, almost countless suggestions like this over the years. Without exageration I have never seen manolis consider any. His ironclad believe in the controllability of the PF is neither backed by experimental evidence - like he has done with the engine, nor any stability or controllability analysis, nor a like-for-like comparison with other flying machines.

That is, why I believe and would state publically again, that it is not the kind of machine that could or should make a prototype flight.

As a thought experiment, imagine he just bought a perfect off the shelf 2S engine made from unobtainium and put it rigidly on his shoulders like his pictures. Would any of us really be entertaining the idea he would fly around like a jetpack? Would we be talking about it in this thread?