[ 2020 ] Racing Point F1 Team - Mercedes

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Mansell89

Re: [ 2020 ] Racing Point F1 Team - Mercedes

Sergio- true F1 fans appreciate your talent and complete superiority over the chosen billionaire and his misguided Father.

Good luck in your next venture- probably the ideal team mate for Max Verstappen if Red Bull finally see some sense.

Wass85

I hate this news, Perez has been a great driver these last few seasons and now he's got a good car he's all of a sudden quite lacklustre. Coincidence that this is happening now the Stroll's are in town.

Racer X

Mansell89 wrote:
09 Sep 2020, 21:01
Sergio- true F1 fans appreciate your talent and complete superiority over the chosen billionaire and his misguided Father.

Good luck in your next venture- probably the ideal team mate for Max Verstappen if Red Bull finally see some sense.
Hes an ideal driver at any team specially if you have a young driver on your squad.
Part of me hopes to see him at Williams with a couple years with Russel.... I dont know why i just do would be nice to see Williams with good funding and strong drivers. Maybe if this whole time Claire had Sergio and not drivers like Maldonado she would be the new team coming up since Sergio is part of the growth at Force India and its survival that now sees them turning into Aston Martin. Im sad but im also happy that Perez will be going some where else where he wont be with some one like Lawrence at the helm... Redbull tho that would be something else. Perez at Williams would see him push them and set up Williams to rise up again. I feel like at Sauber he will have a good few retirement years but it wont amount to anything. At Williams he can have a positive effect maybe he will never get a podium but he would definitely push them in the right direction. Its just so sad to see a driver who actually built the team up be casted aside. We all know why Aston Martin is where it is they would not be looking at being back in F1 if Force India wasnt getting all those podiums. It is not Racing Point under Lawrence's management that bring attention to Racing Points its the last few years where Force India was pushing that really made this team. This last year Racing Point has just been a Mercedez B Team and nothing more.

Buena Suerte Sergio y hope you succeed where ever you go.
RedBull Racing Checo//PEREZ

Big Tea

He brings a reasonable funding doesn't he? I can see Haas courting him.
Dont know if he would like to go that far back though.

As others have said, not likely Red Bull will take him, Merc and Ferrari are out as is Mclaren, so the only options are Williams, Haas or Sauber, unless something unforeseen happens at Renault?

Looks to me like go with Haas but stay in touch with Renault 'just in case', maybe get a release clause at Haas?
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

foxmulder_ms

I LOVE this news!!!! Finally a worthy driver will pilot this fast car next year. Go Vettel :)

NAPI10

RP must have spent loads of money to get Vettel's service & buyout Perez's contract. It's worth it?

gshevlin

My prediction: Sebastian Vettel will not prove to be the Schumacher for Racing Point. I can see all sorts of compelling reasons why his signing will be good for RP, not least because of the kudos of having a 4 time World Champion in the car. But the behavior of Vettel over the last 2 seasons has not been very mature or smart, and some of his performances this season have, at times, been inexplicable.
Vettel is going to cost RP a lot of money (salary, plus the cost of terminating Perez, who was only 1 year into a 3 year contract, and whose sponsors were bringing a lot of money into the team), so anything less than race wins is going to look like a failure.
Sergio? Well, I can think of 2 teams that would sign him up in a heartbeat (Alfa Romeo and Haas). The question is whether he wants to be propping up the lower half of the midfield, because both teams have Ferrari power, and until Ferrari introduces a new ICE to replace the one that has been de-rated following the settlement with the FIA, the customer teams are going to be at least as non-competitive as Ferrari itself. His backers could get him into Indycar for chump change if they wanted to.

Just_a_fan

Anyone wondering on what happens if Stroll beats Vettel next year? That would kill the legacy stone dead...
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

the EDGE

Big Tea wrote:
09 Sep 2020, 22:31

As others have said, not likely Red Bull will take him, Merc and Ferrari are out as is Mclaren, so the only options are Williams, Haas or Sauber, unless something unforeseen happens at Renault?

Looks to me like go with Haas but stay in touch with Renault 'just in case', maybe get a release clause at Haas?
Personally I’d choose Williams out of that bunch, new owners, on the up, still a proper manufacture, and powered by Magic, Sorry, Mercedes

They may just surprise (a little) in ‘22

I’d also like to see George go up against a talented driver, and no doubt Toto would too

Zynerji

Big Tea wrote:

Sergio to Haas with a change to Honda Power (Acura branded), and a RBR listed parts deal would be heart stopping...😏😏

But Steiner and Grosjean GOTTA GO!

And if I was Williams, I'd go big, and offer Rosberg a 2 year deal to come back and lead the team and help develop the car and Russel...😲

Wouter

The Power of Dreams!

PowerandtheGlory

Zynerji wrote:
10 Sep 2020, 01:26
Big Tea wrote:

Sergio to Haas with a change to Honda Power (Acura branded), and a RBR listed parts deal would be heart stopping...😏😏

But Steiner and Grosjean GOTTA GO!

And if I was Williams, I'd go big, and offer Rosberg a 2 year deal to come back and lead the team and help develop the car and Russel...😲
I like the idea of a Haas Acura with Perez and another new driver.. but Rosberg back at Williams????? i dont see him developing any cars... if much rather they spent the money on 25 new Aero personnel.. Russell is great at the moment and Latifi seems like a nice guy- albeit not the absolute quickest yet.. Perez would be good to help the team maximise their chances.. but i cant see Rosberg personally- each to their own though.. Like the idea of a Haas Honda though.. off topic slightly- soz
“I don't believe in luck, luck is preparation and taking your opportunity” Ross Brawn

Moore77

Getting Vettel into Aston Martin is a great news. Just shows their ambitions to be serious contenders that, they want to go beyond pay drivers. Like I mentioned earlier, with Toto being a share holder, they will continue to get more assistance from Mercedes and who knows, there might even be some key staff transfers from second layer of the pool from Brackley to Silverstone with the upcoming budget restrictions for 2022 that would force Mercedes to let go some people. All in all, a very good situation for Aston Martin and Vettel.

With McLaren on the rise and with also powered by Mercedes, if stroll and company (Aston Martin) could pump in more money, this team could start making serious inroads towards to the top 3 with that Mercedes at the back.
Gangdom: Pom, Tom, Loverboy, Boomer.

the EDGE

Moore77 wrote:
10 Sep 2020, 10:03
Getting Vettel into Aston Martin is a great news. Just shows their ambitions to be serious contenders that, they want to go beyond pay drivers. Like I mentioned earlier, with Toto being a share holder, they will continue to get more assistance from Mercedes and who knows, there might even be some key staff transfers from second layer of the pool from Brackley to Silverstone with the upcoming budget restrictions for 2022 that would force Mercedes to let go some people. All in all, a very good situation for Aston Martin and Vettel.

With McLaren on the rise and with also powered by Mercedes, if stroll and company (Aston Martin) could pump in more money, this team could start making serious inroads towards to the top 3 with that Mercedes at the back.
That’s a very good point about the transfer of staff

However I would say that if Aston Martin was serious then they would’ve dropped stroll and kept Checo.

I honestly can’t see this move being good for either party