[ 2020 ] Scuderia Ferrari - Ferrari

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
e30ernest

Re: [ 2020 ] Scuderia Ferrari - Ferrari

Yeah I don't see Ferrari sacrificing points just to "justify" their decision to sack a driver. I think this may be Vettel simply being demotivated. Or maybe the car really doesn't suit him (he doesn't seem to drive well on cars with less planted rear ends). This reminds me of the time Ricciardo beat him at Red Bull, only worse.

JPBD1990

IMO Vettel’s performances are a byproduct of the car being designed and setup to suit Leclerc. He likes a more rear-biased/oversteery car - remember in his early days with Alfa he commented on this after a few spins and said he needed to adjust to a more understeery setup for F1 vs F2. Vettel needs a planted rear end.

Similar to the redbull/verstappen problem. Max likes the car pointy AF, other drivers clearly find it difficult to have confidence when the car is so sharp/twitchy.

It’s not ferrari purposely sabotaging Vettel, but it is a byproduct of their priorities/focus changing from him and his preferences to Charles’. It’s unfortunate, but I have a suspicion that if the roles were reversed, Charles and a few other drivers would adapt. Seb has never necessarily had the quality. He’s fantastic when the car is sweet and setup to his liking. When it’s a bit off, he’s a bit off. Hamilton, verstappen, Charles, etc, may be able to drive around it a bit more.

Imo obviously

Mclarensenna

Lets talk Qualifying as there is so much talk about this lately between the 2 Ferrari drivers
Is Vettel demotivated, the car doesn't suit him, Ferrari is sabotaging him???
Or is he just slower than Charles in Qualy?

Last year Leclerc got 4 Pole positions in a row a record not seen since Schumacher.
Last year in Britain Vettel qualified 6 tenths slower than Charles.
Last year in Spa was a MASSIVE 7 tenths qucker than Vettel yet Vettel still was in 2nd in Qualy. Thats right front row start while being 7 tenths off your team mate.

Yes in the Tuscan grand prix Charles was half a second quicker in Q2 but this year half a second like in Tuscan means the difference between qualifying 5th and 14th
Last year in Belgium the 7 tenths gap even bigger had Vettel qualify on the front row

This year the Ferrari is not as fast and midfield is so bunched up than even a few tenths can make a big difference in Qualy positions.

Sevach

This is rock bottom, ridiculous.

MtthsMlw

At least they'll finally bring upgrades next race.

aleks_ader

MtthsMlw wrote:
13 Sep 2020, 18:10

Team quote huh or Italian media chitchat?
"And if you no longer go for a gap that exists, you're no longer a racing driver..." Ayrton Senna

Scorpaguy

aleks_ader wrote:
13 Sep 2020, 20:16
MtthsMlw wrote:

...next race, "let us try bold new graphics", says Bino. There after he pleads to the Italian media and the Ferrari BOD for patience.

MtthsMlw

aleks_ader wrote:
13 Sep 2020, 20:16
MtthsMlw wrote:

Both :lol: Don't expect any immediate results. Would assume they're mainly to see if they're on the right path for next year.
Binotto: "We will see some updates in the next race, but it won't make a difference. When you have a problem like our car has, which is more fundamental, I think it takes more time to take the necessary step back, reposition yourself and take steps forward.."

Jolle

Is it just me, or is the pairing of Leclerc and Sainz brining back thoughts back of the Alesi/Berger days? especially after a failed campaign to be top dog again with Prost/Mansell (Alonso, Vettel and Raikkonen in the recent decade)

Jolle

JPBD1990 wrote:
13 Sep 2020, 04:36
IMO Vettel’s performances are a byproduct of the car being designed and setup to suit Leclerc. He likes a more rear-biased/oversteery car - remember in his early days with Alfa he commented on this after a few spins and said he needed to adjust to a more understeery setup for F1 vs F2. Vettel needs a planted rear end.

Similar to the redbull/verstappen problem. Max likes the car pointy AF, other drivers clearly find it difficult to have confidence when the car is so sharp/twitchy.

It’s not ferrari purposely sabotaging Vettel, but it is a byproduct of their priorities/focus changing from him and his preferences to Charles’. It’s unfortunate, but I have a suspicion that if the roles were reversed, Charles and a few other drivers would adapt. Seb has never necessarily had the quality. He’s fantastic when the car is sweet and setup to his liking. When it’s a bit off, he’s a bit off. Hamilton, verstappen, Charles, etc, may be able to drive around it a bit more.

Imo obviously
I don't think the car is designed around Leclerc. Engineers tend to design the best car possible and don't really build in features for one driver or the other. Sometimes a certain feature of a car suits one driver better than the other. The FW14 is a good example. Mansell just could turn the switch in his head and not relay on the counterintuitive feedback he got for the car where Patrese just couldn't. In the same kind of way the trickery that RedBull was able to do with the rear of the last of the V8 car's really suited Vettel, who for some reason just doesn't have the feel for the rear end (funny enough, he excuses the rear so much, that he already looks at the next corner while the rear of the car hasn't finished the corner he's in).

In the current formula the rear of the car in lively. Not just lots of power but also lots of electronics, turbo's etc working on the rear which could give it not the automatic response you'll get from a linear V8 with downforce trickery. This years Ferrari hasn't got any power to spare to artificial fix Vettel's rear end blindness (no extra rear downforce or a smoother engine program). They need every horse to push the car with as little drag as they can get away with. For me this also explains a lot of Vettel's drop in race craft since he's been at Ferrari. He just suddenly has to drive the rear of the car, where at RedBull it was just the front.

bruno958

Rock bottom indeed. Out of 12 cars left, the best they can do is 9th and 10th. Did you guys notice how freaking slow they were on the main straight? I think I could have passed them with my truck. What is utterly incredible is that the team does not suffer of funding issues. It is clearly a matter of incompetence. These guys have no clue and until better engineers are brought in to figure out what to do, they will continue to be embarrassed.

bruno958

From Ferrari CEO TODAY '"Mercedes, hats off to them, they've done an incredible job and we'll see in 2022 with the new regs, whether it creates a reset. That's our hope."
Stop watching races until March of 2022. It will be Mercedes 1 and 2 until then. Unless Ferrari hires competent people, it will continue to be Mercedes 1 and 2 until F1 goes bankrupt for lack of viewership.

Hoffman900

bruno958 wrote:
14 Sep 2020, 16:49
From Ferrari CEO TODAY '"Mercedes, hats off to them, they've done an incredible job and we'll see in 2022 with the new regs, whether it creates a reset. That's our hope."
Stop watching races until March of 2022. It will be Mercedes 1 and 2 until then. Unless Ferrari hires competent people, it will continue to be Mercedes 1 and 2 until F1 goes bankrupt for lack of viewership.

I never understood that logic from Ferrari or anyone. Why would new regs suddenly mean Ferrari or anyone else would remember how to design a winning car with new regs?

If they can’t do it with the current they won’t with the new. What you learn when you’re in racing, is that regardless of the rule changes, the same people and teams will be at the front. This never fails to be true, from amatuer to pros. It only changes when the people who make up the winning teams start to split up.

I think a lot of Ferrari’s statements are to appease shareholders and sponsors more than anything.

Jolle

If you don't count the alleged illegal 17-19 car, Ferrari hasn't build a championship capable winning car since 2009. Is there any indication, recent hires or investments that could lead to a winning car for the first time in over a decade? It does feel like false hope.

Carl Mccoy

Jolle wrote:
14 Sep 2020, 18:01
If you don't count the alleged illegal 17-19 car, Ferrari hasn't build a championship capable winning car since 2009. Is there any indication, recent hires or investments that could lead to a winning car for the first time in over a decade? It does feel like false hope.
Illegal ? 2017 car with better aero than Mercedes or 2018 car. You drink too much.