Honda Power Unit Hardware & Software

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
ispano6

Re: Honda Power Unit Hardware & Software

Snorked wrote:
12 Sep 2020, 00:21
Tanabe talking about Max's engine trouble:

https://www.as-web.jp/f1/623063?all
I read it earlier, and the translation is not great. Allow me to:

On the other hand, has the cause of Verstappen's retirement been determined?
As a result of the analysis, we've pretty much solved it. Fortunately the engine suffered no damage so the plan is to continue using it. However, the issue was also due to high temperatures, so it will be necessary to prepare for the hot weather forecasted for this weekend's race.
Is the issue due to high temperatures, can you elaborate?
Only what I've mentioned earlier.
Prior to the red flag, Verstappen was caught in the DRS train, but was that the cause of the high temperatures?
No, it was not due to that. If anything, you can say that the red flag stoppage was not ideal.
Was the issue irregular?
If that issue arose often, it would be troublesome.
Is it an issue stemming from technical design?
No it's different, fundamentally it is fine.
Sieper wrote:
12 Sep 2020, 01:06
Ok, that sounds scary to me.

At every start moment the engine was hot. Or maybe the battery. But something. Max did in fact not have wheelspin at all at race start. This issue plagued both starts It seems.

Honda also wanted to postpone the no different engine modes allowed rule. It seems we have an issue on our hands. Hopefully the start here will be better as overtaking will be as hard if not harder then in Monza.
I wouldn't jump to any conclusions based on the Google auto translation (it tends to be how a chinese person would translate it based on Google's way of translating Japanese kanji characters). High temperatures was part of the problem, but Tanabe has his reasons for not elaborating as evident in his diction.

lio007

I have a question: very often during FP when they enter the pits and stop on the marks they do a "rev-check". Can anybody tell what this is and why do they do that!?

lio007

ispano6 wrote:
13 Sep 2020, 04:34
Snorked wrote:
12 Sep 2020, 00:21
Tanabe talking about Max's engine trouble:

https://www.as-web.jp/f1/623063?all
I read it earlier, and the translation is not great. Allow me to:

On the other hand, has the cause of Verstappen's retirement been determined?
As a result of the analysis, we've pretty much solved it. Fortunately the engine suffered no damage so the plan is to continue using it. However, the issue was also due to high temperatures, so it will be necessary to prepare for the hot weather forecasted for this weekend's race.
Is the issue due to high temperatures, can you elaborate?
Only what I've mentioned earlier.
Prior to the red flag, Verstappen was caught in the DRS train, but was that the cause of the high temperatures?
No, it was not due to that. If anything, you can say that the red flag stoppage was not ideal.
Was the issue irregular?
If that issue arose often, it would be troublesome.
Is it an issue stemming from technical design?
No it's different, fundamentally it is fine.
Sieper wrote:
12 Sep 2020, 01:06
Ok, that sounds scary to me.

At every start moment the engine was hot. Or maybe the battery. But something. Max did in fact not have wheelspin at all at race start. This issue plagued both starts It seems.

Honda also wanted to postpone the no different engine modes allowed rule. It seems we have an issue on our hands. Hopefully the start here will be better as overtaking will be as hard if not harder then in Monza.
I wouldn't jump to any conclusions based on the Google auto translation (it tends to be how a chinese person would translate it based on Google's way of translating Japanese kanji characters). High temperatures was part of the problem, but Tanabe has his reasons for not elaborating as evident in his diction.
It might be on the chassis side, because they went back to the old sidepod-configuration this weekend.

63l8qrrfy6
63l8qrrfy6

First impression is Max's MGUK failed to kick in at 100 km/h.

etusch

Mudflap wrote:
13 Sep 2020, 15:20
Will it makes so much speed difference? Verstappen had said it is same issue with monza and he would retire anyway

nzjrs

etusch wrote:
13 Sep 2020, 15:46
Mudflap wrote:
Will it makes so much speed difference? Verstappen had said it is same issue with monza and he would retire anyway
Very strange. What is susceptible to overheating and would cause this defect? Energy store perhaps?

63l8qrrfy6
63l8qrrfy6

etusch wrote:
Mudflap wrote:
-120kw compared to everyone around you? I would definitely think so.

nzjrs

Edit: in the German interview Max was less certain that it was the same problem as Monza ('maybe', 'I believe it could be' , etc)

etusch

Mudflap wrote:
13 Sep 2020, 15:52
etusch wrote:
Mudflap wrote:
-120kw compared to everyone around you? I would definitely think so.
will they use all 120 when they use it?
Before 140 km/h they can not go full power even with ice if I am not wrong.

63l8qrrfy6
63l8qrrfy6

They were clearly in the power limited phase of the launch so yes that's when they need all of that MGUK power.

nzjrs

In the German interview Marko just now said they are not yet certain what the problem is, but he said it was rather electrical and had some similarities to Monza.

etusch

nzjrs wrote:
13 Sep 2020, 17:03
In the German interview Marko just now said they are not yet certain what the problem is, but he said it was rather electrical and had some similarities to Monza.
we were expecting better marriage between engine and chassis this year but they seems they could not build up good marriage this time. despite limitations hope we can see what we wanted at 2021 season.

etusch

Mudflap wrote:
13 Sep 2020, 17:01
They were clearly in the power limited phase of the launch so yes that's when they need all of that MGUK power.
Last RedFlag start, there were electric usage indicator showed up at steering wheel of Ricciardo. Maybe Juzh can make us a favour to talk about that.

I'd like to know why these electrical issues seem to only happen to RB and mostly Max. SAT hasn't had any of these issues, have they?

Is it an integration issue? Is packaging too tight, different airflow?

This reminds me of the Renault days when the alternator was failing left and right on RB but no one else.

Juzh

1158 wrote:
13 Sep 2020, 17:50
I'd like to know why these electrical issues seem to only happen to RB and mostly Max. SAT hasn't had any of these issues, have they?

Is it an integration issue? Is packaging too tight, different airflow?

This reminds me of the Renault days when the alternator was failing left and right on RB but no one else.
And lotus. After RB switched to mclaren made alternators for 2013 their reliability was almost bulletproof.