[ 2020 ] Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Darth-Piekus

Re: [ 2020 ] Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

proteus wrote:
13 Sep 2020, 17:42
Darth-Piekus wrote:
13 Sep 2020, 17:33
Makes me wonder what could Sainz have done if he had managed all those passes.
I am starting to see a pattern here...we used to have this questions about another spanish driver....Lando is quick enough by himself that he manages to pull out the potential from the car. Mugello was not the best track, like Silverstone wasnt but loss of points was near minimal.

He did great job and Carlos was unlucky jet again...hopefully he rebounds back strong again.
You misunderstand me. I never said Lando is slow. I'm saying that considering Sainz did a great start where could he have finished potentially if things went well.

diffuser

Norris seems to always go into this tire saving mode. He waits for the car ahead tires to fade, then start looking at passing. He's fast but I think there is more in him that needs to be unleashed.

SmallSoldier

diffuser wrote:Norris seems to always go into this tire saving mode. He waits for the car ahead tires to fade, then start looking at passing. He's fast but I think there is more in him that needs to be unleashed.
If he is doing that on purpose, it isn’t the worst strategy with how hard is to overtake

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CjC
CjC

blastdoman wrote:
13 Sep 2020, 17:45
Darth-Piekus wrote:
13 Sep 2020, 17:42
Wheres the next Race
Sochi, Russia
It was one of Carlos’s strongest races last season so fingers crossed 8)
Just a fan's point of view

bauc

Solid race from Lando, I would call this race a damage limitation one, as we clearly lacked pace to fight the teams around us and SAI was unlucky today again, I don't know how come he has such bad luck this season.
Формула 1 на Македонски - The first ever Macedonian Formula 1 YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJkjCv ... 6rVRgKASwg

Big Tea

diffuser wrote:
13 Sep 2020, 17:52
Norris seems to always go into this tire saving mode. He waits for the car ahead tires to fade, then start looking at passing. He's fast but I think there is more in him that needs to be unleashed.
That will happen when he gets points and podiums in the bank. He still suffers from new boy syndrome, don't crash
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

the EDGE

mwillems wrote:
13 Sep 2020, 17:32
Yeah, still 3rd with a decent points cushion.
Indeed 3rd in constructors & 4th in drivers is a tremendous place to be in going into what is effectively the second half of the season

Carlos Has been driving awesomely, he’s had some tough luck so far this season, he’s been driving far better than his points tally would suggest & Lando seems to have made progress with his starts over the last few races, still seems to lack the pace to get within DRS of the car in front which is hurting, but otherwise he’s been pretty solid in the race

The car has not been the quickest most of the season, but it’s been in the mix all year, if we can develop in the right direction at the right pace I still think 3rd is on the cards

It’s really going to come dow to track characteristics and whether RP can hold themselves together or whether the imminent demise of Perez will destabilise them

SmallSoldier

the EDGE wrote:
mwillems wrote:
Indeed 3rd in constructors & 4th in drivers is a tremendous place to be in going into what is effectively the second half of the season

Carlos Has been driving awesomely, he’s had some tough luck so far this season, he’s been driving far better than his points tally would suggest & Lando seems to have made progress with his starts over the last few races, still seems to lack the pace to get within DRS of the car in front which is hurting, but otherwise he’s been pretty solid in the race

The car has not been the quickest most of the season, but it’s been in the mix all year, if we can develop in the right direction at the right pace I still think 3rd is on the cards

It’s really going to come dow to track characteristics and whether RP can hold themselves together or whether the imminent demise of Perez will destabilise them
Perez’ motivation after been dropped may play a role in the second half of the season.

Lando does seem to drop pretty quick from the car in front and then keep that distance during the race... I’m not sure if it’s him doing that as an strategy or the car simply doesn’t work that well in dirty air and therefore it struggles inside of 2 seconds... We saw that happen to Carlos at Monza last week when we were arguably faster than AT... Today, Lando was struggling too much in S1... Was never able to drop below 30 seconds in S1, while the cars in front where always at 29.7 or below (Perez got 29.5 at the end of the race and even RIC was running 29.3-4 during the last stint... That was also the case in Qualifying... What make the car to struggle in S1 is what I’m wondering.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mwillems

the EDGE wrote:
13 Sep 2020, 18:36
mwillems wrote:

Agree fully.

I'm disappointed that Lando couldn't pressure more at the end.

A great start to the season for him but Carlos has since shown his class.
Give a man a fire, and he will be warm for a night.
Set a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

mwillems

Big Tea wrote:
13 Sep 2020, 18:34
diffuser wrote:
13 Sep 2020, 17:52
That will happen when he gets points and podiums in the bank. He still suffers from new boy syndrome, don't crash
I think sometimes that is true, but I also think sometimes he just isnt able to extract any more from the car.
Give a man a fire, and he will be warm for a night.
Set a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

101FlyingDutchman

Yeah the pace in s1 and s3 shows something isn’t quite right. Whether the setup direction that was compromised caused some of the issues but losing 1.3 sec to Merc in 1 sector is a truly enormous chasm.
They only lost maybe 0.1 at most in the middle sector. All the loss in s3 and s1. Really weird how far off the Renault they were on race pace too

JRindt

SmallSoldier wrote:
13 Sep 2020, 17:39
Chalke wrote:Considering the pace shown by the car, and the bizarre , interrupted, luck of the draw kind of race... that's probably not a bad result points-wise even if it was a little frustrating to watch.
The real bad luck today was starting on the wrong side of the track on every restart... It always placed Lando outside of the tow towards turn 1.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I don’t think tow is a big thing during the starts. The outside line into turn 1 works better I guess. Sainz picked up positions as well going on the outside before he spun. Lando would’ve too on the second restart, but I think Albon squeezed him a bit too much on the outside of turn 1.

the EDGE

JRindt wrote:
13 Sep 2020, 18:59
SmallSoldier wrote:
Chalke wrote:Considering the pace shown by the car, and the bizarre , interrupted, luck of the draw kind of race... that's probably not a bad result points-wise even if it was a little frustrating to watch.
The real bad luck today was starting on the wrong side of the track on every restart... It always placed Lando outside of the tow towards turn 1.

I don’t think tow is a big thing during the starts. The outside line into turn 1 works better I guess. Sainz picked up positions as well going on the outside before he spun. Lando would’ve too on the second restart, but I think Albon squeezed him a bit too much on the outside of turn 1.
Ted said on the notebook there were a lot of marbles on the dirty side that were hurting drivers there

SmallSoldier

JRindt wrote:
SmallSoldier wrote:

It is a pretty decent run to Turn 1, I watched Kvyat in both restarts (who started on the inside) and he was getting a nice tow from the cars in front, that’s why Lando lost places to him in both restarts (it was pretty impressive that he managed to regain the position both times in the same place though).

chrisgr

Can anyone have thoughts on what is to blame for our pace today? I mean, before friday we were assuming that Mugello suits us due to the high and medium speed corners. Did anyone from the team said anything?