Silly Season 2020/2021 (starting with silliness in 2019)

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
holeindalip

Re: Silly Season 2020/2021 (starting with silliness in 2019)

Schuttelberg wrote:
10 Sep 2020, 23:33
Big Tea wrote:
10 Sep 2020, 23:24
Schuttelberg wrote:
10 Sep 2020, 23:10
It's no secret where my loyalties lie but quite gutted for Checo. I don't know what the future holds for the bloke I love but I hope Checo can at least win a race wherever he ends up.

Quite unreal that the grid could not have Checo & Hulk next year. Something has to be a bit wrong with the sport for it to come to that.
There does seem to be a rush to bring in young drivers. The older generation are shuffled out sooner now.
To be very honest, these young guns are a breath of fresh air. As I said, Vettel fan here but I was quite vocal about RedBull retaining Albon. I think he will come real good and will harass Max often come 2021.

I think there is no excuse for not having Checo or Hulk on the grid. It's mental to not have them seats. I think a lot was left to be desired in terms of the way Ferrari and Aston Martin have dealt with their sackings. They pretty much ensured that they left their drivers no room for negotiation. Vettel got the boot after getting public confirmation of a contract and without the engines being fired up and Perez has got to know the rough end of the stick way too late. I think if the domino had fallen later and earlier respectively, both Vettel & Perez would have been realistic options at McLaren and Alpine.

Anyway, as long as it's the best grid and as long as all teams have a chance to win races in 2022, I don't really care who lands up where.
I have a feeling even though the budget cap is coming in and all that one team will nail it and still be miles ahead of the rest, whoever the best driver in that team is going to be dominant for a bit until they leave the regs alone and everyone converges

PlatinumZealot

Manoah2u wrote:
10 Sep 2020, 22:16
Either way, 2021 is gonna be lit.

Alonso @ (Alpine) Renault
Vettel @ Aston Martin
Daniel @ Mclaren
Sainz @ Ferrari

Never in a million years would i have imagined Fernando to come back into F1.
But even less the rest of the changes.
This is like a six course movie dinner! All the top dogs evenly spread out.

Alonso V Vettel V Ricciardo V Verstappen V Hamilton V LeClerc

Six!! Teams!! With main attractions.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Moore77

PlatinumZealot wrote:
11 Sep 2020, 04:19
Manoah2u wrote:

Vettel @ Aston Martin
Daniel @ Mclaren
Sainz @ Ferrari

One can only wish for each of them to have a car, which is just a tenth or two apart from track to track!
Gangdom: Pom, Tom, Loverboy, Boomer.

Manoah2u

Just for clarity, since i've been so dazed and confused about the whole pink merc thing.

Is it, or is it not possible, for a team, to use last year's car from another team anymore?

For example:

Let's say Haas takes on a partnership with Renault.
Can Haas get their hands on last year's Renault F1 car, and as such, have a capable car for cheap with complete Renault parts?

Like for example Alpha Tauri has with RedBull,
Racing Point with Mercedes,
And Alfa Romeo has with Ferrari (atleast in the past) ?

Whether Haas would go for Renault for 2021 remains to be seen, the abysmal quality right now could grant them a discount perhaps. Renault might be better now, but you never know what Ferrari magically pulls out of their hat and see them be back again for 2021.

If that is possible, we could see an interesting outcome for 2021 perhaps.
Perez is free to go anywhere and i could see him go to Haas, hopefully with Hulk, and it would gigantically improve Haas' position and finances. He could even bring BWT perhaps.

BWT - HAAS Renault F1 Team, with Perez and Hulkenberg. I'd concider that an exciting combination for sure.
They could even brand the engine as an Infinity.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

Big Tea

Manoah2u wrote:
11 Sep 2020, 10:32
Just for clarity, since i've been so dazed and confused about the whole pink merc thing.

Is it, or is it not possible, for a team, to use last year's car from another team anymore?

For example:

Can Haas get their hands on last year's Renault F1 car, and as such, have a capable car for cheap with complete Renault parts?

Whether Haas would go for Renault for 2021 remains to be seen, the abysmal quality right now could grant them a discount perhaps. Renault might be better now, but you never know what Ferrari magically pulls out of their hat and see them be back again for 2021.

Perez is free to go anywhere and i could see him go to Haas, hopefully with Hulk, and it would gigantically improve Haas' position and finances. He could even bring BWT perhaps.

BWT - HAAS Renault F1 Team, with Perez and Hulkenberg. I'd concider that an exciting combination for sure.
Irrespective of that being legal or not, I would like to see it be 'legal' to buy a car from a team and as long as it meets this years regs, use it.

There would have to be limits, such as the car being a full season out of date, Possibly specked at a set point, like half season point and a 'control', maybe only allowing a team to do it once in 5 years or what ever.

Once a a car is no longer current in the team, why not recoup some spend from it, and allow a new team in, or a temporary reprieve for a struggling team.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

taperoo2k

Moore77 wrote:
11 Sep 2020, 07:36
PlatinumZealot wrote:
11 Sep 2020, 04:19
Manoah2u wrote:

Vettel @ Aston Martin
Daniel @ Mclaren
Sainz @ Ferrari

One can only wish for each of them to have a car, which is just a tenth or two apart from track to track!
Might have to wait for the 2022 season and the new regulations for the teams to bunch up like that. But you never know.

Manoah2u

Big Tea wrote:
11 Sep 2020, 10:58
Manoah2u wrote:

For example:

Irrespective of that being legal or not, I would like to see it be 'legal' to buy a car from a team and as long as it meets this years regs, use it.

There would have to be limits, such as the car being a full season out of date, Possibly specked at a set point, like half season point and a 'control', maybe only allowing a team to do it once in 5 years or what ever.

Once a a car is no longer current in the team, why not recoup some spend from it, and allow a new team in, or a temporary reprieve for a struggling team.
That would be an interesting prospect. It would lower costs significantly for both parties.
They could use an additional token system.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

holeindalip

Big Tea wrote:
11 Sep 2020, 10:58
Manoah2u wrote:

For example:

I’m all for customer cars, would save the midfield team money in the long run not having to develop it or use a token system to develop it more. If let’s say at the midway point of the season that car is frozen for the next year, send the car cad files to your customer team mid season and they can upgrade with tokens or run as is for the next year, it would already be setup for the power unit and gearbox....

And for the bigger teams it would offset some of the financial losses for the r&d

The big 3/4 would still be out front but maybe the gap would be smaller and the midfield would all be close. It wouldn’t leave a team like Williams that got it wrong one year to suffer for 2 years just to make the gap back up to race for 15th-20th on the grid

Schuttelberg

holeindalip wrote:
11 Sep 2020, 02:16
Schuttelberg wrote:
10 Sep 2020, 23:33
Big Tea wrote:
10 Sep 2020, 23:24

There does seem to be a rush to bring in young drivers. The older generation are shuffled out sooner now.
To be very honest, these young guns are a breath of fresh air. As I said, Vettel fan here but I was quite vocal about RedBull retaining Albon. I think he will come real good and will harass Max often come 2021.

I think there is no excuse for not having Checo or Hulk on the grid. It's mental to not have them seats. I think a lot was left to be desired in terms of the way Ferrari and Aston Martin have dealt with their sackings. They pretty much ensured that they left their drivers no room for negotiation. Vettel got the boot after getting public confirmation of a contract and without the engines being fired up and Perez has got to know the rough end of the stick way too late. I think if the domino had fallen later and earlier respectively, both Vettel & Perez would have been realistic options at McLaren and Alpine.

Anyway, as long as it's the best grid and as long as all teams have a chance to win races in 2022, I don't really care who lands up where.
I have a feeling even though the budget cap is coming in and all that one team will nail it and still be miles ahead of the rest, whoever the best driver in that team is going to be dominant for a bit until they leave the regs alone and everyone converges
I agree about it converging but it's hard to say if one team will boss it or how many will be in contention etc. It will also only converge if we are patient with the rules and let them stabilise. I don't know what's happening on the front of the tyres and that is a big worry as far as I am concerned. I think Pirelli have not shown anything of substance in ten years, been a large factor in racing under SC in wet conditions and basically put the sport on a ventilator these past years.

We are going off topic so may be we can have a Wishlist for 2022 thread. :D
"Sebastian there's very, you're a member of a very select few.. Stewart, Lauda, Piquet, Senna, Prost, Schumacher, Fangio.. VETTEL!"

MtthsMlw

According to racefans.net Mick Schumacher does get a seat in F1 next year if he finishes the F2 championship in the top 3.
https://www.racefans.net/2020/09/13/mic ... t-in-2021/

Assuming he'll go to Alfa replacing Kimi if he retires or Gio if Kimi stays.

DChemTech

MtthsMlw wrote:
14 Sep 2020, 10:32
According to racefans.net Mick Schumacher does get a seat in F1 next year if he finishes the F2 championship in the top 3.

Considering Gio's general subpar performance (including quite idiotic behavior yesterday), don't you expect Gio to be out regardless? Ferrari has several decent Junior options; of course they will prefer Mick for the name (although Shoemaker is not that great a name, IMO, but ok) - but it would be rather unfair to say, Schwatzman, if he would become F2 champion as a ferrari-backed rookie and they choose Mick regardless. With Ilott at least they could claim it took him somewhat longer to rise in F2, but still. If both Kimi and Gio are out, AR could get 2 decent new drivers and it makes it somewhat easier for Ferrari. Kimi is fun, but honestly too old - he should make room. I understand they might want to keep him for commercial reasons, but not for sportive. Gio should be out regardless, he doesn;t have it.

Big Tea

DChemTech wrote:
14 Sep 2020, 12:09
MtthsMlw wrote:

Considering Gio's general subpar performance (including quite idiotic behavior yesterday), don't you expect Gio to be out regardless? Ferrari has several decent Junior options; of course they will prefer Mick for the name (although Shoemaker is not that great a name, IMO, but ok) - but it would be rather unfair to say, Schwatzman, if he would become F2 champion as a ferrari-backed rookie and they choose Mick regardless. With Ilott at least they could claim it took him somewhat longer to rise in F2, but still. If both Kimi and Gio are out, AR could get 2 decent new drivers and it makes it somewhat easier for Ferrari. Kimi is fun, but honestly too old - he should make room. I understand they might want to keep him for commercial reasons, but not for sportive. Gio should be out regardless, he doesn;t have it.
I think two first year drivers would be a mistake. Especially considering their limited resources. An old head is need to guide 'by the seat of the pants' stuff

Jolle

Big Tea wrote:
14 Sep 2020, 12:13
DChemTech wrote:
MtthsMlw wrote:

I think two first year drivers would be a mistake. Especially considering their limited resources. An old head is need to guide 'by the seat of the pants' stuff
Mhoa, never did Toro Rosso or their drivers any harm. With the correct coaching, it could be very healthy to have two youngsters finding their way instead of having an old driver taking them by the hand.

Big Tea

Jolle wrote:
14 Sep 2020, 12:18
Big Tea wrote:
14 Sep 2020, 12:13
DChemTech wrote:

Mhoa, never did Toro Rosso or their drivers any harm. With the correct coaching, it could be very healthy to have two youngsters finding their way instead of having an old driver taking them by the hand.
I think its a different case with STR though. Then its only a personal opinion, and anyone's is as valid

jumpingfish

No need to save "old" drivers, we saw Leclerc vs Ericsson despite his first season in F1, Charles was quick enough to bring points.