Hamilton and conflict with his ethos

Post anything that doesn't belong in any other forum, including gaming and topics unrelated to motorsport. Site specific discussions should go in the site feedback forum.
Big Tea

Hamilton and conflict with his ethos

I was just reading an item on INeos taking over Mercedes, by buying out Toto and Niki's share.

Hamilton seems to have strong feelings on environment, and wondered hoe he felt about heading up this companies public face. (I have to make plain right here, I have noting against INeos. It is Lewis feelings under the glass)

Taken from the article.-

Ownership of the Brackley team in part or in full by INEOS would make for an interesting dynamic regarding Lewis Hamilton.

The petrochemical company isn't exactly perceived in the UK as a leading environment advocate, having been embroiled recently in compliance issues with EU pollution rules.

Given Hamilton's environmental activism, it's hard to imagine the F1 star remaining with the Mercedes team if INEOS did indeed take over the Black Arrow squad.-

Would it put him in a position he is not comfortable, and looking for an out, or maybe feel it is the best position he will ever have to influence them?

Possibly he has already gone through this, or even he does not see it as a problem.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

Jolle

Re: Hamilton and conflict with his ethos

It would be an interesting dynamic.

The same could be said for someone that feels strong about the environment with his current employer, sponsors and partners (of which Ineos is one)

I think Hamilton is one of the activists that knows that in the real world that any company that you are associated with is seen by some as a dance with the devil. On the other hand, in our current society we need companies like INEOS for the stuff we want, the same with pharmaceuticals, big food and petrol companies.

I had this discussion with some of my more active friends. As we know, plant based food puts a lot less strain on our environment. Now you can protest against companies like Unilever that they sell meat and dairy products or you can work with them to phase out the stuff that is killing our planet. Because, we need a company to feed the world, because Becca with her little vegan corner shop, although ethical as f, can't do that.

A evolution instead of a revolution.

If INEOS wants to buy a big part of Mercedes AMG, or even take over the whole team, they will know that Hamilton is one of their biggest assets. And to work with him in a partnership as he's build up with Daimler they have to be part of this evolution.

El Scorchio

Jolle wrote:
14 Sep 2020, 15:23
I think Hamilton is one of the activists that knows that in the real world that any company that you are associated with is seen by some as a dance with the devil.
TBH there are people (I have to say fairly stupid people, and just to emphasise NOT anyone on this forum that I have seen) who call him out as a hypocrite just for driving for a German owned company, simply because of historical events from well before any of us were even born.

Fact is that anyone, and there are plenty, with an axe to grind about him will always call him out for something or try and paint him as two faced or a hypocrite for anything he does, although he sometimes doesn't help himself in that respect either. But he's always a target to be shot at, rightly or wrongly.

DChemTech

Well, Mercedes is already called the Mercedes AMG Petronas F1 team.. and has that name all over their rear wing, amongst others. Petronas is a fossil fuel company of course, pretty unavoidable in F1 perhaps, and the presence of a fossil fuel company as such should not be the biggest issue in itself. After all, persons should be able to advocate their beliefs while still participating in the world we live in, and participating in the world we live in sometimes means making use of technology you may be opposed to. You can object to fossil fuels and advocate for, say, biofuels or hydrogen cars in the long run, while still driving fossil fuel racecars (in lieu of alternatives) for now. Still, when it comes to fossil companies, Petronas is not exactly a leader in human rights issues, and they don't seem to be as outspoken on sustainability as some other oil companies are these days. Considering Lewis does not seem to have a significant problem there, I do not expect him to specifically object to INEOS either.

Jolle

By the way, just the fact that INEOS is gone on the path of exposure trough sponsoring, means they are now more viable wrongdoings. This should mean that they are busy cleaning up their act.

Money talks also in this case. It’s not good to be associated with a dirty company. Else, there is always space on the Ferrari.

Big Tea

There is an ineos plant in my area, and they are seen as a very good company to work for, and some of those who work there are 'greens', and seem happy with things. Keep in mind, everything leaves a footprint.

SiLo

it was my understanding that INEOS are not purchasing the team, merely wanting to invest and get some shares (likely around 10%). But I can't remember where I read it!
Felipe Baby!

Big Tea

SiLo wrote:
15 Sep 2020, 16:12
it was my understanding that INEOS are not purchasing the team, merely wanting to invest and get some shares (likely around 10%). But I can't remember where I read it!
The report I read said they were after Niki's share of 10%, but it was suggested that if Toto wanted out they go for his 30% both

Ringleheim

What aspect of F1 is not extremely detrimental to the environment?

The entire sport is about unnecessary pollution and negative environmental impact, in addition to risk of driver safety, all in the name of entertainment.

That's what the sport is all about!

Embrace it, or eliminate it!

Jolle

Ringleheim wrote:
16 Sep 2020, 18:35

The entire sport is about unnecessary pollution and negative environmental impact, in addition to risk of driver safety, all in the name of entertainment.

Same could be said of any type of entertainment. F1 cars themselves only make up a very small part of the pollution of this circus. Most are in logistics (and when they are allowed again) spectator movement.

You could also see it as an opportunity to use it as a development to clean up our transportation system.

Somehow whenever someone famous speaks out on the environment there is a “whataboutism” that they didn’t came to the protest on a bicycle with recycled paper as a way of communication. Plus.. when someone does all that, sailing on wind power across the ocean to speak at the UN, she’s a spoiled brat.

Big Tea

Jolle wrote:
16 Sep 2020, 19:04
Ringleheim wrote:
16 Sep 2020, 18:35

Same could be said of any type of entertainment. F1 cars themselves only make up a very small part of the pollution of this circus. Most are in logistics (and when they are allowed again) spectator movement.

You could also see it as an opportunity to use it as a development to clean up our transportation system.

Somehow whenever someone famous speaks out on the environment there is a “whataboutism” that they didn’t came to the protest on a bicycle with recycled paper as a way of communication. Plus.. when someone does all that, sailing on wind power across the ocean to speak at the UN, she’s a spoiled brat.
Well it was a 4 million Euro boat, and made from 'recycled' carbon fibre (?)

She is trying