Honda Power Unit Hardware & Software

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
User avatar
godlameroso
423
Joined: Sat Jan 16, 2010 8:27 pm
Location: Miami FL

Re: Honda Power Unit Hardware & Software

Post

There's no damage to the ICE. The MGU-K didn't provide drive, so it is likely a control electronics issue. Luckily there's time to rectify the problem
The height of cultivation is really nothing special. It is merely simplicity; the ability to express the utmost with the minimum. Mr.Lee

User avatar
Sieper
110
Joined: Tue Mar 14, 2017 2:19 pm

Re: Honda Power Unit Hardware & Software

Post

He would have been doing the same wrong his last 3 starts (Monza, Monza after red flag) mugello. Same for Albon as his starts have also seen him go in reverse (not to the same extent as max but still). He also said pre race to fear losing places at start.

Bu they would have certainly spoken about what not and what to do after Monza. I don’t think it is operator induced.
Just a personal interest, a Family recreating a WW2 May 1940 Dutch warbird from scratch: https://www.facebook.com/FlyingFokkerD21/

User avatar
Wouter
398
Joined: Sat Dec 16, 2017 12:02 pm

Re: Honda Power Unit Hardware & Software

Post

godlameroso wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 5:30 pm
There's no damage to the ICE. The MGU-K didn't provide drive, so it is likely a control electronics issue.
Luckily there's time to rectify the problem
Is the result already known? Is that your own conclusion or from your source within Honda?
I've read that the CE is provided by Magneti Marelli, so it's not Honda's fault?

User avatar
etusch
149
Joined: Sun Feb 22, 2009 10:09 pm
Location: Turkey

Re: Honda Power Unit Hardware & Software

Post

godlameroso wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 5:30 pm
There's no damage to the ICE. The MGU-K didn't provide drive, so it is likely a control electronics issue. Luckily there's time to rectify the problem
Maybe it is just unmaturity of new mode. They were the one who wanted to postphone it

User avatar
Mudflap
308
Joined: Wed Feb 17, 2016 8:36 pm

Re: Honda Power Unit Hardware & Software

Post

The engine mode ban does not really affect how the ERS operates but rather it is primarily aimed at ICE maps.

As someone has pointed out already, this particular PU has had its gremlins ever since it was first introduced. Whatever it is, it seems to be ERS related and it appears to be particularly affected by grid starts.
nah pop no style

TNTHead
TNTHead
22
Joined: Mon May 01, 2017 8:41 pm
Location: The Netherlands

Re: Honda Power Unit Hardware & Software

Post

ispano6 wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 4:40 pm
TNTHead wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 4:30 pm
Didn't they start races poorly last year as well (Austria '19 comes in mind)? After that Honda was busy optimizing their start mapping.

Couldn't it (beside cooling issues) be that with the single mode directive they have poor starts because of their (may be workaround) solution that is cut short? It was quite obvious that Albons restarts at Mugello were also suboptimal.
The single mode directive applies to the race, not formation and reconnaissance. I don't think they are running an aggressive mode on the outlap to the grid.
According to Autosport
Teams will be allowed to run different engine modes for in and out-laps in qualifying where the power units need to harvest energy, and will also allow different modes for laps run under the safety car, the formation laps and the lap after the chequered flag.
I don't know if I understand it correctly but the race start isn't part of the formation lap? Then the start should be done with fixed qualy/race mapping.

User avatar
1158
54
Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2012 4:48 am

Re: Honda Power Unit Hardware & Software

Post

If it were down to the mapping I would expect SAT to have start issues too. They seem to be fine at the starts. Gasly's start in Monza won the race.

User avatar
etusch
149
Joined: Sun Feb 22, 2009 10:09 pm
Location: Turkey

Re: Honda Power Unit Hardware & Software

Post

Mudflap wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 6:28 pm
The engine mode ban does not really affect how the ERS operates but rather it is primarily aimed at ICE maps.

As someone has pointed out already, this particular PU has had its gremlins ever since it was first introduced. Whatever it is, it seems to be ERS related and it appears to be particularly affected by grid starts.
whatever it is, just swap with newer one and wait chassis updates. sometimes it never be fixed whatever you do

User avatar
Wouter
398
Joined: Sat Dec 16, 2017 12:02 pm

Re: Honda Power Unit Hardware & Software

Post

ispano6 wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 5:08 pm
Still early days but here is an interview from https://www.as-web.jp/f1/624522?all
──パワーユニットのトラブル原因は?
q: What is the cause of the power unit trouble?

田辺TD:すでに日本でも調べ始めていますが、まだわかっていません。
a: Analysis has also already started in Japan, but we do not know yet.

Thanks for the translation @Ispano!

ispano6
ispano6
244
Joined: Thu Mar 09, 2017 10:56 pm
Location: my playseat

Re: Honda Power Unit Hardware & Software

Post

TNTHead wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 6:37 pm
ispano6 wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 4:40 pm
TNTHead wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 4:30 pm
Didn't they start races poorly last year as well (Austria '19 comes in mind)? After that Honda was busy optimizing their start mapping.

Couldn't it (beside cooling issues) be that with the single mode directive they have poor starts because of their (may be workaround) solution that is cut short? It was quite obvious that Albons restarts at Mugello were also suboptimal.
The single mode directive applies to the race, not formation and reconnaissance. I don't think they are running an aggressive mode on the outlap to the grid.
According to Autosport
Teams will be allowed to run different engine modes for in and out-laps in qualifying where the power units need to harvest energy, and will also allow different modes for laps run under the safety car, the formation laps and the lap after the chequered flag.
I don't know if I understand it correctly but the race start isn't part of the formation lap? Then the start should be done with fixed qualy/race mapping.
I'm with you, not sure what formation lap setting is for Red Bull Rb16 and Max. I would think it's the race setting. The outlap from garage to grid I don't think has to be, but who knows.

NL_Fer
NL_Fer
77
Joined: Sun Jun 15, 2014 8:48 am

Re: Honda Power Unit Hardware & Software

Post

godlameroso wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 5:30 pm
There's no damage to the ICE. The MGU-K didn't provide drive, so it is likely a control electronics issue. Luckily there's time to rectify the problem
Who knows maybe the K turns bad under load/heat and disrupts the CE.

User avatar
Mudflap
308
Joined: Wed Feb 17, 2016 8:36 pm

Re: Honda Power Unit Hardware & Software

Post

etusch wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 6:44 pm
Mudflap wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 6:28 pm
The engine mode ban does not really affect how the ERS operates but rather it is primarily aimed at ICE maps.

As someone has pointed out already, this particular PU has had its gremlins ever since it was first introduced. Whatever it is, it seems to be ERS related and it appears to be particularly affected by grid starts.
whatever it is, just swap with newer one and wait chassis updates. sometimes it never be fixed whatever you do
Then the risk is they don't fully understand the issue and the new PU fails in a similar fashion.
nah pop no style

User avatar
etusch
149
Joined: Sun Feb 22, 2009 10:09 pm
Location: Turkey

Re: Honda Power Unit Hardware & Software

Post

Mudflap wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 7:44 pm
etusch wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 6:44 pm
ko
Mudflap wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 6:28 pm
The engine mode ban does not really affect how the ERS operates but rather it is primarily aimed at ICE maps.

As someone has pointed out already, this particular PU has had its gremlins ever since it was first introduced. Whatever it is, it seems to be ERS related and it appears to be particularly affected by grid starts.
whatever it is, just swap with newer one and wait chassis updates. sometimes it never be fixed whatever you do
Then the risk is they don't fully understand the issue and the new PU fails in a similar fashion.
I don't say "don't figure out it" , just saying don't try to use it any more

User avatar
Mudflap
308
Joined: Wed Feb 17, 2016 8:36 pm

Re: Honda Power Unit Hardware & Software

Post

etusch wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 7:47 pm
I don't say "don't figure out it" , just saying don't try to use it any more
In which case they might have to take a penalty at some point since a 4th PU will likely be required.
nah pop no style

Jaisonas
Jaisonas
44
Joined: Fri Oct 05, 2018 10:30 pm

Re: Honda Power Unit Hardware & Software

Post

Wouter wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 6:19 pm
godlameroso wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 5:30 pm
There's no damage to the ICE. The MGU-K didn't provide drive, so it is likely a control electronics issue.
Luckily there's time to rectify the problem
Is the result already known? Is that your own conclusion or from your source within Honda?
I've read that the CE is provided by Magneti Marelli, so it's not Honda's fault?
CE have always been manufactured and distributed by mclaren and its the same in all cars.