Will Schumacher's Race Win and WDC records be broken?

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.

Are Schumacher's WDC and Win records under threat of being eclipsed?

Will the 7 WDC record be broken?
3%
Will the 91 Victory record be broken?
26%
Neither record will be broken.
12%
Both records will be broken.
59%

Total votes: 172

Wass85

Re: Will Schumacher's Race Win and WDC records be broken?

TAG wrote:
13 Sep 2020, 23:33
Wass85 wrote:
13 Sep 2020, 23:17
PlatinumZealot wrote:
13 Sep 2020, 23:04
Two more to go. Nurburgring would be an appropriate place to beat it. I wonder if Michael watches the races? Lewis should pay tribute when gets there.
Why should he? It's not as though he was ever warm to Schumacher when the German made his comeback, it was quite the opposite in reality.
The only thing that matters is that you're here with us sharing in the celebrations! :)
Hey I will celebrate it just as much as anyone but I don't want to hear his PR talk with it.

Wass85

Just_a_fan wrote:
13 Sep 2020, 23:31
PlatinumZealot wrote:
Two more to go. Nurburgring would be an appropriate place to beat it. I wonder if Michael watches the races? Lewis should pay tribute when gets there.
He'll say something appropriate, no doubt. It'll probably be "I can't believe it, never expected to do it" that sort of thing. And then something about Michael's legacy in the sport. That kind of thing.
Exactly, let's not try and pretend there's something there that's not. Hamilton has never shown to be a big fan of Schumacher at all, in fact when they were racing against each other he was quite cold towards him.

TAG

Wass85 wrote:
13 Sep 2020, 23:37
TAG wrote:
Wass85 wrote:

Why should he? It's not as though he was ever warm to Schumacher when the German made his comeback, it was quite the opposite in reality.
The only thing that matters is that you're here with us sharing in the celebrations! :)
Hey I will celebrate it just as much as anyone but I don't want to hear his PR talk with it.
I want it, so you're just going to have to live with it... while you celebrate of course. LOL
माकडाच्या हाती कोलीत

Wass85

TAG wrote:
13 Sep 2020, 23:40
Wass85 wrote:
TAG wrote:

I want it, so you're just going to have to live with it... while you celebrate of course. LOL
If you want falseness then good for you. 👍

TAG

Wass85 wrote:
13 Sep 2020, 23:47
TAG wrote:
Wass85 wrote:

But, but, but you're the A#1 Lewis Hamilton fan though! You've said so hundreds of times before How can you speak of "falseness" LOL
माकडाच्या हाती कोलीत

Just_a_fan

Wass85 wrote:
13 Sep 2020, 23:38
Just_a_fan wrote:
PlatinumZealot wrote:
He'll say something appropriate, no doubt. It'll probably be "I can't believe it, never expected to do it" that sort of thing. And then something about Michael's legacy in the sport. That kind of thing.
Exactly, let's not try and pretend there's something there that's not. Hamilton has never shown to be a big fan of Schumacher at all, in fact when they were racing against each other he was quite cold towards him.
Senna was his hero and that was obvious when he got to Senna's pole number. Hamilton may not be as keen on Schumacher, but he understands the history of the sport and what the moment means. That's good enough reason to say something heartfelt.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Wass85

TAG wrote:
13 Sep 2020, 23:50
Wass85 wrote:
13 Sep 2020, 23:47
TAG wrote:

But, but, but you're the A#1 Lewis Hamilton fan though! You've said so hundreds of times before How can you speak of "falseness" LOL
I am a big enough fan to still follow him and want him to win even though I think he has a false persona at times.

Wass85

Just_a_fan wrote:
13 Sep 2020, 23:53
Wass85 wrote:
13 Sep 2020, 23:38
Just_a_fan wrote:

Senna was his hero and that was obvious when he got to Senna's pole number. Hamilton may not be as keen on Schumacher, but he understands the history of the sport and what the moment means. That's good enough reason to say something heartfelt.
I agree, he will realise and appreciate by now what Schumacher achieved and what it takes to do so.

PlatinumZealot

Wass85 wrote:
PlatinumZealot wrote:

When Michael Schumacher called time on his days as a Formula 1 driver for a second time seven years ago, he left a parting message for the man that could go on to break his records.

The seven-time world champion returned from a three-year hiatus to driver for Mercedes in 2009, but admitted that his decision to retire for good was influenced by a certain Lewis Hamilton.

He said in 2012: “We all know Lewis is one of the best drivers we have around.

“I am sure that he and the team will have a successful future.

“The team had the option in Lewis that helped me decide [to retire].”

Despite his bosses opting to replace him with the 2008 world champion, the German was more than supportive of the Englishman, who is on course to win his sixth championship in 2019.

When asked about comparisons with the Ferrari hero after winning his last title in 2018, Hamilton distanced himself from Schumacher.

Hamilton told Sky Sports last year: "Firstly I could never ever personally classify myself as the best.

"Obviously, within myself, I know my abilities and where I stand.

“But ultimately, my dad always told me, since I was eight years old, he said 'do your talking on the track'.

"So I just try to let my results and the results from the things that I do outside of my sport, hopefully, also contribute to that, so people can hopefully create a decent opinion.

"But Michael's still quite far ahead in race wins so you have to say he is still the GOAT."
Last edited by PlatinumZealot on 14 Sep 2020, 00:23, edited 1 time in total.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Wass85

PlatinumZealot wrote:
14 Sep 2020, 00:17
Wass85 wrote:
PlatinumZealot wrote:
https://image-cdn.essentiallysports.com ... schu-1.jpg
That settles it then. 😂

Jolle

Moore77 wrote:
12 Sep 2020, 04:38
Moore77 wrote:
07 Sep 2020, 20:47
Let's put a bit of a death knell here to Schumacher's contractual No. 2 team mate myth.

Here is an interview with Ross Brawn from April 2007.

https://www.motorsportmagazine.com/arch ... ross-brawn
What about the role of Michael’s team-mates at Ferrari – Eddie Irvine, Rubens Barrichello, Felipe Massa – and controversial races like the 2002 Austrian GP, when Barrichello reluctantly obeyed an order to move aside and allow Schumacher to win?

The only contractual advantage Michael ever had over his team-mate was that he had first call on the spare car, and because of rule changes the spare car has not been an issue in recent years. But we would always take a decision in a race that we felt was best for Ferrari. Those decisions tended to favour Michael, because he was in the best position to win the championship – but it was never a case of Michael is the No 1 driver, so he has to get this or that.

“We had some difficult times with Rubens, who gave Michael quite a hard time competitively during his six seasons with us. If Rubens had been 20 points ahead of Michael in the championship, it would have been logical for all the strategy decisions to favour him. But it never occurred.

“That race in Austria caused a furore. But you have to remember that at that stage in the championship Michael had 44 points to Rubens’ six points, and of course we wanted to maximise Michael’s chances of the title. Championships have been lost in the past by a single point. We asked Rubens several laps before the end to concede position, but he wouldn’t until the last few hundred metres. These things are all discussed beforehand in the calm of the motorhome, so Rubens knew the score.

“But he’s a passionate guy, he was leading the race, and I can understand how he felt. Three races later (by which time Schumacher’s championship was almost, but not quite, clinched) we let Rubens lead Michael home in Germany.”
I remember some pages back, @Just_a_fan had snubbed the fact that it was Schumacher who brought Ross Brawn to Ferrari.
“Then I had my own problems with Benetton. At the end of 1995 I’d agreed to stay, on condition that I got total responsibility over the whole engineering side. Flavio agreed to that, but ultimately he didn’t implement it. F1 is pretty incestuous, and Michael got to hear I wasn’t happy. At the same time, he wasn’t happy with the technical structure at Ferrari either. Just before Monaco in 1996 I got a call from Willi Weber, asking if I’d like a chat. That’s how it started.”
Continuing on this... Ferrari even wanted to fire Jean Todt in 1996! Schumacher put his step down and retained Todt. So whoever that says, Schumacher didn't play a role in building that team of his, should stand corrected.

https://uk.sports.yahoo.com/news/jean-t ... 53956.html

Jean Todt reveals Michael Schumacher saved his Ferrari career
However, it would have been different but for Schumacher’s intervention.

“It was during the 1996 season after we had a few retirements that there was pressure on me to leave,” explains Todt, 74.

“But Michael said ‘if Jean leaves I leave’. They did not want him to leave. They cared much less for me but Michael made his comments clear so I stayed.”
To be honest, that '96 season was bad... very bad... the car incorporated "innovations" like the failed double floor, they made the headrests in some kind of wind scoop and reliably was so poor that it was almost a succes when they completed the lap to the grid. Plus, all un Ferrari like they went for a V10 that underperformed the V12 from the year before.

and those first few seasons of Todt at the helm were also very underwhelming in results. Lots of reliably issues, design faults and lack of speed.

That Schumacher got some decent results, was all up to him, not the car nor the team.

I think Bino is referring to those years a lot internally :P

PlatinumZealot

Wass85 wrote:
14 Sep 2020, 00:21
PlatinumZealot wrote:
14 Sep 2020, 00:17
Wass85 wrote:

https://image-cdn.essentiallysports.com ... schu-1.jpg
That settles it then. 😂
That you like to pull stuff out of thin air ? You can see in the article posted that Schumacher gave to seat to Lewis in good faith. It is not a good look that you are making stuff up to get a heightened response.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Wass85

PlatinumZealot wrote:
15 Sep 2020, 16:06
Wass85 wrote:
14 Sep 2020, 00:21
That settles it then. 😂
That you like to pull stuff out of thin air ? You can see in the article posted that Schumacher gave to seat to Lewis in good faith. It is not a good look that you are making stuff up to get a heightened response.
All that tells me is you haven't really followed Hamilton for too long, I've followed the man closely since his debut in 2007.

If you had you would know yourself that Hamilton could be very cold to Schumacher, quite uncalled for really and I remember at the time being angry with him for doing so.

dans79

Wass85 wrote:
15 Sep 2020, 17:29
If you had you would know yourself that Hamilton could be very cold to Schumacher, quite uncalled for really and I remember at the time being angry with him for doing so.
Well, Schumi isn't exactly known for being a big teddy bear, so in my opinion he deserved some of what he got.
197 104 103 7

Wass85

dans79 wrote:
15 Sep 2020, 17:35
Wass85 wrote:
15 Sep 2020, 17:29
Well, Schumi isn't exactly known for being a big teddy bear, so in my opinion he deserved some of what he got.
Of course Schumacher was no angel but where did the dislike come for Lewis?

It's not as though he ever did anything wrong to him, this was clear even before their set to at Monza as well.

I found Hamilton quite disrespectful towards the old legend even though I wanted him to do a number on him whenever they battled.