Will Schumacher's Race Win and WDC records be broken?

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.

Are Schumacher's WDC and Win records under threat of being eclipsed?

Will the 7 WDC record be broken?
3%
Will the 91 Victory record be broken?
26%
Neither record will be broken.
12%
Both records will be broken.
59%

Total votes: 172

dans79

Re: Will Schumacher's Race Win and WDC records be broken?

Wass85 wrote:
15 Sep 2020, 17:42
dans79 wrote:
15 Sep 2020, 17:35
Wass85 wrote:
15 Sep 2020, 17:29
If you had you would know yourself that Hamilton could be very cold to Schumacher, quite uncalled for really and I remember at the time being angry with him for doing so.
Well, Schumi isn't exactly known for being a big teddy bear, so in my opinion he deserved some of what he got.
Of course Schumacher was no angel but where did the dislike come for Lewis?

It's not as though he ever did anything wrong to him, this was clear even before their set to at Monza as well.

I found Hamilton quite disrespectful towards the old legend even though I wanted him to do a number on him whenever they battled.
who knows maybe schumi said something in the press that angered Lewis, or maybe he said something to him or about him in the paddock.
197 104 103 7

Jolle

dans79 wrote:
15 Sep 2020, 17:52
Wass85 wrote:
dans79 wrote:

Well, Schumi isn't exactly known for being a big teddy bear, so in my opinion he deserved some of what he got.

It's not as though he ever did anything wrong to him, this was clear even before their set to at Monza as well.

I found Hamilton quite disrespectful towards the old legend even though I wanted him to do a number on him whenever they battled.
who knows maybe schumi said something in the press that angered Lewis, or maybe he said something to him or about him in the paddock.
Schumacher, of course a legend but.. as you believe Rosberg also very competitive with dirty tricks, on and off track. He’s the kind of sportsman, when you pass him, he will try to let you trip. Which is a shame, because he doesn’t need that. I can imagine that a guy like Hamilton looses respect for someone that competes like that, whatever their status is.

Wass85

Jolle wrote:
15 Sep 2020, 22:31
dans79 wrote:
Wass85 wrote:

Schumacher, of course a legend but.. as you believe Rosberg also very competitive with dirty tricks, on and off track. He’s the kind of sportsman, when you pass him, he will try to let you trip. Which is a shame, because he doesn’t need that. I can imagine that a guy like Hamilton looses respect for someone that competes like that, whatever their status is.
But the thing is Lewis became cold to him before his run in with him.

NathanOlder

You don't need to be friends with people just because you think that's how it should be. Lewis for whatever reason may not have likely Michael, only you can turn that in to something else to dislike about Lewis.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

Just_a_fan

dans79 wrote:
Wass85 wrote:
dans79 wrote:

Or maybe Hamilton didn't see why he should venerate a cheat.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

PlatinumZealot

Wass85 wrote:

All that tells me is you haven't really followed Hamilton for too long, I've followed the man closely since his debut in 2007.

If you had you would know yourself that Hamilton could be very cold to Schumacher, quite uncalled for really and I remember at the time being angry with him for doing so.

Michael has not taken any offense to it. He is fine with it.
Hamilton doesnt have to kiss his feet. He spoke the truth when he said he didn't want to win like Schumi did. He should be praised for saying that.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

NathanOlder

PlatinumZealot wrote:
15 Sep 2020, 23:59
Wass85 wrote:

All that tells me is you haven't really followed Hamilton for too long, I've followed the man closely since his debut in 2007.

Hamilton doesnt have to kiss his feet. He spoke the truth when he said he didn't want to win like Schumi did. He should be praised for saying that.
Yeah exactly this. Schumacher is a great, but he has on many times done things on track that other drivers hate to see.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

Jolle

Wass85 wrote:
15 Sep 2020, 23:40
Jolle wrote:
15 Sep 2020, 22:31
dans79 wrote:

But the thing is Lewis became cold to him before his run in with him.
Well... "to do a Schumacher" has been incorporated into racing slang since '94. Everybody respects the numbers, not everybody how he acquired them.

Moore77

Just_a_fan wrote:
15 Sep 2020, 23:46
dans79 wrote:
Wass85 wrote:

Or maybe Hamilton didn't see why he should venerate a cheat.
To device ways to beat your competition, you need to be intelligent. On and off the track. While Hamilton didn't have it, he was lucky that an opportunity from Mercedes fell on his lap, which became a moral high ground to then go after Schumacher, belittling his achievements. Hamilton didn't always have presence of mind and a good vocabulary off track. He also claims he has poor memory. So that reasons out.
Gangdom: Pom, Tom, Loverboy, Boomer.

Moore77

PlatinumZealot wrote:
Wass85 wrote:

I take that as, taking a challenge to leave a team where he won 2 titles and working his a** off to build a strong team and bringing all that lost glory for a marquee team, instead of being a driver that just drove dominant cars. It takes a lot of stuff in a man.

dans79

Moore77 wrote:
16 Sep 2020, 05:46
PlatinumZealot wrote:
He spoke the truth when he said he didn't want to win like Schumi did. He should be praised for saying that.
I take that as, taking a challenge to leave a team where he won 2 titles and working his a** off to build a strong team and bringing all that lost glory for a marquee team, instead of being a driver that just drove dominant cars. It takes a lot of stuff in a man.
I'm pretty sure stuff like this is what he was talking to when he said he didn't want to win like schumi.

197 104 103 7

Moore77

dans79 wrote:
16 Sep 2020, 07:12
Moore77 wrote:
PlatinumZealot wrote:
He spoke the truth when he said he didn't want to win like Schumi did. He should be praised for saying that.
I'm pretty sure stuff like this is what he was talking to when he said he didn't want to win like schumi.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=X5dkG994SE4

www.youtube.com/watch?v=nt-3KT6ktHU

www.youtube.com/watch?v=VgCY548M2QQ
Everyone is free to read and have their own opinions.

NathanE

Moore77 wrote:
PlatinumZealot wrote:
Wass85 wrote:

Are you talking about Hamilton here? Remember when everyone thought he was mad to leave the amazing team he was in for the lacklustre Mercedes. Most people thought it was the end of a promising career. He obviously became a big part of building up what has become, with his help, the most dominant team and car ever. It's clearly not all down to him, but then the brief glory years at Ferarri were not all down to MS either.

Moore77

NathanE wrote:
16 Sep 2020, 08:24
Moore77 wrote:
PlatinumZealot wrote:

Are you talking about Hamilton here? Remember when everyone thought he was mad to leave the amazing team he was in for the lacklustre Mercedes. Most people thought it was the end of a promising career. He obviously became a big part of building up what has become, with his help, the most dominant team and car ever. It's clearly not all down to him, but then the brief glory years at Ferarri were not all down to MS either.
It seems you haven't followed either driver's journey closer. The fundamental point to Hamilton leaving McLaren, was that he got frustrated of not winning another title at McLaren.

https://www.skysports.com/f1/news/12472 ... -bull-move
Bernie Ecclestone says Lewis Hamilton originally wanted 2013 Red Bull move
With Webber's extended deal ultimately making academic any ambitions Hamilton harboured of a switch to the sport's recent dominant force, the 28-year-old was forced to look elsewhere if he wanted to leave his long-time McLaren home.

In September Hamilton duly agreed a three-year deal with Mercedes, and now six months on, Ecclestone says he first floated the idea to the British star.

"Why not talk to Mercedes, Lewis?," Ecclestone claimed he suggested.

"Lewis rolled his eyes ... but I told him that he had nothing to lose as he wanted out of McLaren."
That doesn't in any way say, Hamilton was eager to go and build Mercedes!

Whereas Schumacher, left Benetton where he had won two titles and wanted to take up the baton at Ferrari to make them win again! He brought in Ross Brawn and Rory Byrne and he put his foot down to keep Todt when he was about to be fired in 1996. That shows how he built that success around him. Sure, it's never one man's job. But you need self belief, vision and an ability to trust the right people. All of that, was there in abundance in the journey of his success.

Here is another wonderful piece of fact.

https://www.racefans.net/2019/01/03/sch ... ess-brawn/

Schumacher was key to Mercedes’ championship success – Brawn
Brawn said Schumacher’s arrival provoked some resistance in the team but he “helped to instil and reinforce the principles of how to do things” which won him support.

“I’ve worked with Michael and knew what he was like and the standards he maintained and I knew the levels he worked to,” said Brawn in an interview for the official F1 website. “Those guys hadn’t.”

Among those who were initially unsure about Schumacher was Jock Clear, who had been Jacques Villeneuve’s race engineer when Schumacher collided with the Williams driver while trying to beat him to the 1997 world championship.

“Jock Clear who was Villeneuve’s engineering when Michael and Villeneuve came together, almost hated Michael with a passion, yet became one of Michael’s closest friends when Michael came to the team and worked with him,” said Brawn.

“Michael’s work ethic, discipline and application just won everyone over. It raised the standard of the team in knowing what they could or should be doing. I think I had an impact but Michael had just as much, even more impact on the team when he came and worked there.

“Andrew Shovlin said to me, especially when they won their first world championship and I was talking to him about it, he said Michael had an awful lot to do with us winning this world championship.”

Mercedes team principal Toto Wolff described Schumacher as “one of the founding fathers of the success we have had in the last five years.”
So you see, who laid the foundation for that success that Hamilton is enjoying?
Last edited by Moore77 on 16 Sep 2020, 08:50, edited 3 times in total.

NathanOlder

Moore77 wrote:
16 Sep 2020, 07:33
dans79 wrote:
16 Sep 2020, 07:12
Moore77 wrote:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=X5dkG994SE4

www.youtube.com/watch?v=nt-3KT6ktHU

www.youtube.com/watch?v=VgCY548M2QQ
Everyone is free to read and have their own opinions.
Yeah thats the point. Lewis is free to think what he wants about Schumacher, so even if he did give Michael the cold shoulder and even behave hostile towards him, Lewis is free to do so. Especially after watching 94, 97 & 06. dans79 was just explaining that with all the evidence that was filmed live from multiple angles all those years ago. I just can't understand why someone can dislike Lewis because he didn't like Schumacher, unless they are a big Ferrari fan or just don't like Lewis to begin with. Who knows, maybe Lewis was a big Hill fan, I was, I was born 4 days before Lewis, so if I can remember watching it live, and then seeing it all again in 97, It was 2 huge moments that I will never forget and never forgive him for. It doesn't matter one bit about me as I'm not involved in F1 but maybe it was the same for Lewis and he took those feelings all the way to F1, hence why he never appeared to 'take to Michael' like some of you feel he should have.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.