[ 2020 ] Aston Martin RedBull Racing F1 Team - Honda

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
mem

Re: [ 2020 ] Aston Martin RedBull Racing F1 Team - Honda

Wouter wrote:
16 Sep 2020, 12:25
The DNFs are due to a fault in the ECU. That is a part coming from McLaren Applied. So thats no fault of Honda.
sauce?

Big Tea

To me, but I do not run Honda, a 'change everything and start from the back of the grid' is preferable to a DNF or even a race in limp mode.
Max with a new 'everything' starting from the back of the grid will be in the top 6 by tyre swap time, and being realistic, he is only likely to be aiming for 3rd anyway.
He can win, but it wll be due to unusual events, and one of those infront of him is possibly the other Honda car.

Most people would look at a result and think, that's good, start last and carve his way to 3 rd, well done Honda and RBR and Max and all concerned look good.
Hardly any will consider why he started from the back.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

Wouter

mem wrote:
16 Sep 2020, 13:47
Wouter wrote:
16 Sep 2020, 12:25
The DNFs are due to a fault in the ECU. That is a part coming from McLaren Applied. So thats no fault of Honda.
sauce?
Yes, thank you. I like Heinz tomato ketchup, garlic and curry sauce. Or do you mean the source? :wink:

From several Honda insiders. I also believe it was mentioned here elsewhere on the forum.
The Power of Dreams!

Jambier

Red Bull adviser Helmut Marko says Honda has made progress but Mercedes is still outperforming the Japanese manufacturer: "Honda has made progress, but Mercedes is still superior in terms of batteries."

"We have to improve now. Honda has replaced a number of engineers, so maybe that's why the unexpected problems arose."

Currently, Honda has only committed to Formula 1 for the 2021 season, and some think the Japanese engine manufacturer will pull out.

"The decision should be made in early October," admitted Marko.

If Honda does leave, it could lead to an exit clause in Verstappen's contract, which is believed to guarantee a factory engine. Marko gives a hint: "Actually, Max has a permanent contract for 2021. We are well aware that we have to offer him a competitive bike."
So next month decision about the future.
I think Red Bull have to give more space to Honda as well, there is no visibility for Honda, it is barely written on the car, if they want long term relation with Honda

Sieper

Aston Martin leaves,that gives plenty of opportunity to make Honda the title sponsor.

Jambier

Sieper wrote:
16 Sep 2020, 14:52
Aston Martin leaves,that gives plenty of opportunity to make Honda the title sponsor.
That's exactly what I thought , rear wing with Honda on it would make sens 8)

mem

Wouter wrote:
16 Sep 2020, 14:45
Yes, thank you. I like Heinz tomato ketchup, garlic and curry sauce. Or do you mean the source? :wink:

From several Honda insiders. I also believe it was mentioned here elsewhere on the forum.
thanks

Sieper

Jambier wrote:
16 Sep 2020, 15:31
Sieper wrote:
16 Sep 2020, 14:52
That's exactly what I thought , rear wing with Honda on it would make sens 8)
Jep! I think it will happen. I read Honda decides in October if they stay after 2021 as well. Hopefully the current issues can be resolved. They come at an extremely bad time.

SmallSoldier

Wouter wrote:
Mudflap wrote:
16 Sep 2020, 12:15
etusch wrote:
16 Sep 2020, 12:13
they give importance to reliability maybe more than needed. probably because of McLaren years and because of why Redbull had problems with Renault.
They were aiming mercedes level this year if not first part of season, with spec 2.0. But mercedes came up more performance. Infact there is nothing wrong there but unexpected development of a rival.
2 DNFs say you are wrong
Is there proof that the problem is with the ECU? Also, how is it that every team in the grid uses the exact same ECU but only Max seems to be having problems with it?... I don’t think is an ECU problem.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Wouter

SmallSoldier wrote:
16 Sep 2020, 16:47
Wouter wrote:
Is there proof that the problem is with the ECU? Also, how is it that every team in the grid uses the exact same ECU but only Max seems to be having problems with it?...
I don’t think is an ECU problem.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
What do you think the problem is?
The Power of Dreams!

Cassius

Interesting how many people here claim they have sources within Honda.

I am not yet convinced it was the ECU, although Leclerc in Spain had an ECU issue as well. So it does not mean the ECU never breaks down.

TNTHead

We are still waiting for a statement by Honda about the cause, so we'll have to wait for that. Anything else is just to have a nice convesation about thing are, should be or will be 8).

It could be that the ECU is packaged in an area where temperatures are too high for the circuit board when standing at the grid for too long. In that case too less cooling is the initiator for the fail mechanism.
Last edited by TNTHead on 16 Sep 2020, 19:44, edited 1 time in total.

etusch

comparing with moto gp I can say that Honda can be better immidiately if they use their own ECU.

godlameroso

All signs point to a communication issue between the control electronics and the ECU. Physically there's nothing wrong with the CE or the ECU, both test out okay. You have to remember what the ECU does, it is a voltage regulator and sensor. All the wires that go to the ECU provide a voltage reading that the ECU reads against a table. External sensors to the ECU can give bad readings to the ECU, the CE also has a ECU within it. All these systems have to communicate, if communication breaks down, then we get issues like Max's.

So resolving the issue is a little tricky. Anyone that's tried to diagnose electrical gremlins on a car knows how difficult it can be. A wire near a heat source can have it's resistance and by extension it's values changed. Most mechanics nowadays won't even waste their time, it's easier and more cost effective to just throw on a new wiring harness.

Perhaps it wasn't feasible to change out the wiring harness between Italy and Mugello because of logistical constraints.

When Honda does fix this, they'll over deliver, not only will the issue not happen again but they'll lighten the wiring harness by 30 grams.
Saishū kōnā

TNTHead

godlameroso wrote:
16 Sep 2020, 19:42
All signs point to a communication issue between the control electronics and the ECU. Physically there's nothing wrong with the CE or the ECU, both test out okay. You have to remember what the ECU does, it is a voltage regulator and sensor. All the wires that go to the ECU provide a voltage reading that the ECU reads against a table. External sensors to the ECU can give bad readings to the ECU, the CE also has a ECU within it. All these systems have to communicate, if communication breaks down, then we get issues like Max's.

So resolving the issue is a little tricky. Anyone that's tried to diagnose electrical gremlins on a car knows how difficult it can be. A wire near a heat source can have it's resistance and by extension it's values changed. Most mechanics nowadays won't even waste their time, it's easier and more cost effective to just throw on a new wiring harness.

Perhaps it wasn't feasible to change out the wiring harness between Italy and Mugello because of logistical constraints.
You mean that there is CAN bus network or something like that? That can indeed be very sensitive to oxidation, vibrations etc. and can give al sorts of vague errors. But this can be overcome by design.