Reverse grid gimmick is go!

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
RZS10

Re: Reverse grid gimmick is go!

the EDGE wrote:
16 Sep 2020, 21:28
F1 LAUNCHES FAN SURVEY ABOUT FOUR-RACE REVERSE-GRID PLAN

https://www.f1fanvoice.com/auth/sign_in.touch

You have to sign-up (free) if not already a member
Currently looks like this

Close between agree/disagree but weighted towards def. disagree

SiLo

I can't find the poll on the F1 Fan voice site?
Felipe Baby!

RZS10

somewhere there's "see all polls" on the main site (or: https://www.f1fanvoice.com/poll) and then just search the site for 'reverse' ... although it doesn't show up for me anymore, so it either disappears once you have voted or they've taken it down

Just_a_fan

RZS10 wrote:
17 Sep 2020, 11:26
the EDGE wrote:

Currently looks like this

https://i.imgur.com/Fl85Rzx.png

Close between agree/disagree but weighted towards def. disagree
I think that small sample size will be enough for Brawn to run with the reverse grid idea. "It was close when we asked the fans so we're going to do it anyway".
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

RZS10

Exactly my thought ... initially with less than 2k votes it looked like this

And with more votes it just started moving more towards "nah" ... so maybe they shut it all down and will claim that "Around half the fans asked in a poll supported the idea" or "A significant percentage of..."

When i checked it was ~3000 votes btw

Schuttelberg

the EDGE wrote:

It will have an overwhelming "YES" to reverse grids. People have burnt their ropes with Mercedes domination that includes me, but this is not the answer.
"Sebastian there's very, you're a member of a very select few.. Stewart, Lauda, Piquet, Senna, Prost, Schumacher, Fangio.. VETTEL!"

Schuttelberg

Diesel wrote:
16 Sep 2020, 22:23
Schuttelberg wrote:
16 Sep 2020, 20:59
One thing I definitely don't feel fans are mourning about or criticising unfairly is the tyres. I have never seen a supplier in any side of business so worthless repeatedly provide a mediocre product and benefit so massively out of it at the pinnacle of motorsport. F1 must open the idea of having a new supplier if Pirelli fail in 2022 and the yardstick for measuring failure and success should be a very harsh one as well.
The sad thing is Pirelli aren't even developing the tyre anymore, they are just trying to make sure it doesn't fail. We need at least 2x tyre suppliers forcing each other to continually develop and improve the tyre compounds. At least when Bridgestone was the sole supplier it was off the back of the tyre war with Michelin.
Bridgestone and Goodyear did it just fine. Tyre wars just become all about tyres. It doesn't solve any problem.
"Sebastian there's very, you're a member of a very select few.. Stewart, Lauda, Piquet, Senna, Prost, Schumacher, Fangio.. VETTEL!"

Schuttelberg

Phil wrote:
17 Sep 2020, 09:47
Scorpaguy wrote:
16 Sep 2020, 21:38
Short answer...this will NEVER happen. Too expensive for the teams.
Why are you so sure? The only team that is really opposing this idea is Mercedes. I wouldn't be surprised if the other manufacturers might decide against it too, but the rest of the grid are so starved for points and money, that they would surely consider it because it significantly increases their chance for points and therefore survival.
Binotto will approve of this lunacy. It falls in line with his way of management and then when Ferrari are able to mask their pathetic operations with a few fluke results, he will boast about it.

the EDGE

Schuttelberg wrote:
17 Sep 2020, 14:48
the EDGE wrote:

It will have an overwhelming "YES" to reverse grids. People have burnt their ropes with Mercedes domination that includes me, but this is not the answer.
Mercedes domination is what it is, doesn’t bother me who wins, as a McLaren fan. I still enjoy watching McLaren battle with their closest rivals

And good luck to Merc, I’d far rather they won than winging Redbull or arrogant Ferrari

Scorpaguy

Phil wrote:
17 Sep 2020, 09:47
Scorpaguy wrote:
16 Sep 2020, 21:38
Short answer...this will NEVER happen. Too expensive for the teams.
Why are you so sure? The only team that is really opposing this idea is Mercedes. I wouldn't be surprised if the other manufacturers might decide against it too, but the rest of the grid are so starved for points and money, that they would surely consider it because it significantly increases their chance for points and therefore survival.
Whether they are willing to admit it or not, Merc, RB and Big Red are against this because they do not want to tear up equipment unnecessarily (esp . with the cap coming). The other teams may be starved for points, but they are also short on cash and other resources when compared to the big 3. Yes it will be the big 3 crashing amok on their tear to the front...but who will they be crashing into? Assuming they have already done the math, or soon will, the equation of points vs cars (and the ability to repair them) will be found out to be negative (when taking into consideration all aspects of repairs both track-side and in-factory).

Thus, maybe a one-off at the end of the year when parts/surplus parts/repacement thereof is not a time sensitive or cash robbing endeavor...but as a routine attraction...I do not see it.After all, everyone knows this would make for excitement...and have known thusly for decades. So I figure it has not been enacted to date for a reason. After all, for years, american dirt track did this...but has been mostly erased due to costs (that and the sponsors of big sponsered teams want to see their cars out front...not battling in the rear).

I predict no...however, Liberty Media....you know how crazy we Americans are :roll:

Phil

Sorry Scorpaguy, I don't buy your math with repair cost vs points. If given the choice, any team would die for the opportunity that presented itself at Monza - that being, a car of a small team out front, desperately trying to hang on to his position with a train of cars behind. The reality is - points are linked to money and money is everything. No points, little money, less exposure. They don't care how they win or how they get their points, they just need them. Look at Williams, still with zero points. They'd gladly trade in the opportunity to get points by keeping quicker cars behind them, even at the risk of a collision. In fairness, and against your math, there's a higher probability for a crash to happen among the midfield team among drivers with nothing to lose rather than with cars of the big 3 who may be fighting for a championship and thus need to navigate the midfield carefully while keeping their noses clean.
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

RZS10

Schuttelberg wrote:
I uploaded a screenshot of the result i saw last at the top of the page ... it was heading more and more towards a "definitely disagree" with every passing minute ... and "definitely agree" was never in the lead ... and as far as i can tell they removed it because they weren't getting the result they wanted ... to test this i voted on another poll and that one still appears under "Recent polls you've voted on" hours later - the one about reverse grid quali doesn't

NathanOlder

RZS10 wrote:
17 Sep 2020, 16:26
Schuttelberg wrote:
I uploaded a screenshot of the result i saw last at the top of the page ... it was heading more and more towards a "definitely disagree" with every passing minute ... and "definitely agree" was never in the lead ... and as far as i can tell they removed it because they weren't getting the result they wanted ... to test this i voted on another poll and that one still appears under "Recent polls you've voted on" hours later - the one about reverse grid quali doesn't
Wondered why I couldnt see it.

Edit: found it lol
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

RZS10

I missed that there's two seperate things, a survey and a poll ... the poll is what i took the screenshots of and it's definitely gone. The survey is still there https://www.f1fanvoice.com/svy/index/42851

For those who don't want to sign up to that site, here's the questions

Do you have any more comments you would like to make around the potential implementation of reverse-grid qualifying races? [Text Field]

subcritical71

RZS10 wrote:
17 Sep 2020, 17:03

2. How much do you agree/disagree with the following statement?

"I think that the World Champion should be the best all round racing driver, taking into account their speed, overtaking ability, strategy and their ability to fight for victories."
This better not mean they are looking to declare the champion according to their AWS driver ranking system! :roll: