Is Portimao the track with the least number of corners on the F1 calendar?

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
godlameroso

Is Portimao the track with the least number of corners on the F1 calendar?

With the car's downforce there are only 7 corners that drivers need to slow down and drive through. Even Austria had more actual corners and that's a really short track.
Saishū kōnā

MtthsMlw

Re: Is Portimao the track with the least number of corners on the F1 calendar?

The Bahrain "oval" has 4 and Monza got 6 so..

godlameroso

MtthsMlw wrote:
19 Sep 2020, 22:20
Monza has 9, each chicane is 2 corners. You cannot go flat through both chicane corners.

Portimao let's you put on Monaco downforce and still get good top speed because of the nature of the track, sharp uphill corners helping braking. This allows long downhill straights.
Last edited by godlameroso on 20 Sep 2020, 14:24, edited 1 time in total.
Saishū kōnā

NathanOlder

godlameroso wrote:
19 Sep 2020, 22:11
With the car's downforce there are only 7 corners that drivers need to slow down and drive through. Even Austria had more actual corners and that's a really short track.
Yeah, I think they will have to slow down for Turns 1,3,5,7,8,10 & 13. So I make that 7 slow down moments also.

Obviously Bahrain Outter will be less than this. Also, I have Monza as 6. I dont think in qualy the drivers would use the brake pedal at the second part of the Retifillio. Same for the Della Roggia. So I would say the brake pedal is used Once at Retifillio, Once at Della Roggia, 2 Times in the Lesmo's, Once at Ascari and once at Parabolica.

Bahrain Outter - 4
Monza - 6
Austria - 7
Portimao - 7
Interlagos - 7 (although no on calendar)
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

godlameroso

NathanOlder wrote:
20 Sep 2020, 00:23
godlameroso wrote:
Yeah, I think they will have to slow down for Turns 1,3,5,7,8,10 & 13. So I make that 7 slow down moments also.

Obviously Bahrain Outter will be less than this. Also, I have Monza as 6. I dont think in qualy the drivers would use the brake pedal at the second part of the Retifillio. Same for the Della Roggia. So I would say the brake pedal is used Once at Retifillio, Once at Della Roggia, 2 Times in the Lesmo's, Once at Ascari and once at Parabolica.

Bahrain Outter - 4
Monza - 6
Austria - 7
Portimao - 7
The brake pedal is only used once but you can't floor it through the apex of the second turn in any of the 3 chicanes, you must drive, ie control the throttle and steering, only after clearing the apex can you floor it, which is why I count it as an actual turn.

The Essess in Silverstone I consider 3 consecutive corners. First one is flat, speed adjustment for the second, speed adjustment for the third, line up the exit then floor it.

By this critera, there are 7 corners in Algarve Circuit, however I count turn 4 as a driving moment but not turn 7 which is easy flat and braking in an F1 car happens after the corner.

I have a hard time believing any F1 car with the power they have will take turn 4 flat, there will be a tiny lift unless the track resurface has smoothed the transition. Would also be a shame if the bump on the outside of turn 12 has been removed. Also the bump after turn 1 although harsh gave the turn more character because it could spit you out of the track if you weren't careful.
Saishū kōnā

zibby43

NathanOlder wrote:
20 Sep 2020, 00:23
godlameroso wrote:

Bahrain Outter - 4
Monza - 6
Austria - 7
Portimao - 7
Also have Monza at 6. You have the first two chicanes, the two Lesmos, Ascari, and Parabolica.

godlameroso

You can't go flat on the second turn of any chicane at Monza.
Saishū kōnā

NathanOlder

godlameroso wrote:
20 Sep 2020, 14:25
But you don't slow down which was what you said in your original post?!
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

Sevach

godlameroso wrote:
Pretty sure drivers brake for the first leg and line up the car for the second, everyone is already on throttle and accelerating before the apex of the second leg of De La Roggia.
Still somewhat traction limited which i think is why you are clinging to this "second corner" definition.

PlatinumZealot

Track has a lot of sharp dips. I forsee a lot of setup problems.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

godlameroso

PlatinumZealot wrote:
21 Sep 2020, 00:31
Track has a lot of sharp dips. I forsee a lot of setup problems.
It's being repaved for the race, I wonder how that will change the character of the track.
Saishū kōnā

godlameroso

NathanOlder wrote:
20 Sep 2020, 18:23
godlameroso wrote:
Chicane one, heavy braking for turn 1, no throttle lots of steering lock, feeding throttle on exit of turn 2. Chicane 2, heavy braking into turn 1, no throttle steer, until just before the apex, then feeding throttle on exit of turn 2. Ascari chicane, heavy braking, into turn 1, light throttle and steering(ie driving the car) before setting up the car for the exit.

Contrast this to curva grande, the car can take that curve any which way which won't stop the driver from going flat and essentially ignoring it as a corner.
Saishū kōnā

NathanOlder

godlameroso wrote:
21 Sep 2020, 04:21
NathanOlder wrote:
20 Sep 2020, 18:23
godlameroso wrote:
Chicane one, heavy braking for turn 1, no throttle lots of steering lock, feeding throttle on exit of turn 2. Chicane 2, heavy braking into turn 1, no throttle steer, until just before the apex, then feeding throttle on exit of turn 2. Ascari chicane, heavy braking, into turn 1, light throttle and steering(ie driving the car) before setting up the car for the exit.

Contrast this to curva grande, the car can take that curve any which way which won't stop the driver from going flat and essentially ignoring it as a corner.

Well I guess its a difference in opionion then. Besides the title is very misleading, as its just stating number of corners. Then when we get an idea of what you actually mean, Bahrain Outter beats Portimao anyway. So I guess that ends the thread ?
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

toraabe

godlameroso wrote:
19 Sep 2020, 22:46
MtthsMlw wrote:
19 Sep 2020, 22:20
At least Monza should have removed the first chichane. Like in this Audi test

Monza has 9, each chicane is 2 corners. You cannot go flat through both chicane corners.

Portimao let's you put on Monaco downforce and still get good top speed because of the nature of the track, sharp uphill corners helping braking. This allows long downhill straights.

godlameroso

Looks like this track is actually faster and more of a roller coaster than I imagined. 8 may or may not be flat, maybe a small lift before braking for 9.

Bahrain oval has 6 corners.
Saishū kōnā