2020 Russian Grand Prix - Sochi Autodrom, September 25 - 27

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
El Scorchio

Re: 2020 Russian Grand Prix - Sochi Autodrom, September 25 - 27

I suppose they had to fit it in around the existing Olympic park and an almost perfectly level landscape, but it is a very boring track. Just a series of straights, sharp 90 degree turns and that big left hander. The most uninspiring track ever to be designed from scratch? A good racetrack cannot come from it being shoehorned in around existing things.

At least Baku has some good scenery and the old town bit for variety.

Sieper

And a very narrow passage with a very real chance of crashing like in Monaco.

Schippke

This track reminds me a lot of Valencia when they use to hold a Grand Prix... although somehow even more boring. At least Valencia produced a couple of entertaining races, whilst I don't see much happening here this weekend... again. If anything happens, it'll be at the start down into Turn 1... but given the Power of the Mercedes, they'll probably still have enough to make into the first corner 1st and 2nd.

Unless the weather plays a part, seems like a straight forward Mercedes 1,2... and a Red Bull 3,4. Hopefully that podium Albon got will boost his confidence a bit somewhat. Looked to be a stronger turn of form in Mugello.

The usual battle of Racing Point, McLaren, Renault and Alpha Tauri we'll resume... the pink cars will have a bit of a power advantage down that massive straight, and if Perez runs the upgrades that Stroll seemed to put to good use last time out, they should be strong. Might cause an upset at the start if they can get ahead of a Red Bull... or 2!

Not expecting much from Ferrari (yes, I know its the norm for 2020 now)... S1 is going to be a salted wound for them and don't see them making up much ground during the race; Turn 1 is arguably the only corner (maybe Turn 14) that overtaking usually occurs, so it'll be another long race for us Tifosi.

Fulcrum

Schippke wrote:
21 Sep 2020, 14:41
This track reminds me a lot of Valencia when they use to hold a Grand Prix... although somehow even more boring. At least Valencia produced a couple of entertaining races, whilst I don't see much happening here this weekend... again. If anything happens, it'll be at the start down into Turn 1... but given the Power of the Mercedes, they'll probably still have enough to make into the first corner 1st and 2nd.

Unless the weather plays a part, seems like a straight forward Mercedes 1,2... and a Red Bull 3,4. Hopefully that podium Albon got will boost his confidence a bit somewhat. Looked to be a stronger turn of form in Mugello.

The usual battle of Racing Point, McLaren, Renault and Alpha Tauri we'll resume... the pink cars will have a bit of a power advantage down that massive straight, and if Perez runs the upgrades that Stroll seemed to put to good use last time out, they should be strong. Might cause an upset at the start if they can get ahead of a Red Bull... or 2!

Not expecting much from Ferrari (yes, I know its the norm for 2020 now)... S1 is going to be a salted wound for them and don't see them making up much ground during the race; Turn 1 is arguably the only corner (maybe Turn 14) that overtaking usually occurs, so it'll be another long race for us Tifosi.
Valencia is Suzuka relative to Sochi.

dtro

34% chance of precipitation at this point in the week. Too early to cross fingers without losing circulation.

godlameroso

El Scorchio wrote:
21 Sep 2020, 13:46
I suppose they had to fit it in around the existing Olympic park and an almost perfectly level landscape, but it is a very boring track. Just a series of straights, sharp 90 degree turns and that big left hander. The most uninspiring track ever to be designed from scratch? A good racetrack cannot come from it being shoehorned in around existing things.

It has a nice flow to it when you drive it.
Saishū kōnā

El Scorchio

godlameroso wrote:
21 Sep 2020, 16:30
El Scorchio wrote:

I don't even get that when I have done. Feels like the same corner over and over again with very little variety TBH. Just like with Baku- old town aside- and Singapore actually. Singapore just feels like a test of attrition and patience as much as anything else.

godlameroso

El Scorchio wrote:
21 Sep 2020, 17:43
godlameroso wrote:
El Scorchio wrote:

I don't even get that when I have done. Feels like the same corner over and over again with very little variety TBH. Just like with Baku- old town aside- and Singapore actually. Singapore just feels like a test of attrition and patience as much as anything else.
The turn in point is very tricky to nail because you approach it at such high speed. If you over brake then you cut the corner on the inside and lose time, if you under brake you miss the apex and run wide. The margin for getting the corner right is very small and getting it wrong costs a lot of time so you have to establish a rhythm for nailing the corners.

That said, it is a very annoying track, and some turns could be made faster to improve the show.
Saishū kōnā

Racer X

My money's on Torpedo... Because I don't even know what to expect anymore or how to feel.... Italy left me with PTSD.... we heard the Italian National Anthem but at the cost of Ferrari... :oops: he's Russian right? So under 2020 bizzaro rules that means probably he wins?
RedBull Racing Checo//PEREZ

Joe Hudson

my prediction for this weekend bottas gets pole but Lewis overtakes with the slipstream in to t1 and runs off into the distance and wins the race.

Mansell89

Horrific Grand Prix, terrible layout and a total snooze fest.

I agree, with Russia’s resources they ought to have a really ambitious track layout somewhere.

What is the weather like at this time of year? The only thing we haven’t seen is this track under mixed conditions.

El Scorchio

godlameroso wrote:
21 Sep 2020, 20:04
El Scorchio wrote:
21 Sep 2020, 17:43
godlameroso wrote:

The turn in point is very tricky to nail because you approach it at such high speed. If you over brake then you cut the corner on the inside and lose time, if you under brake you miss the apex and run wide. The margin for getting the corner right is very small and getting it wrong costs a lot of time so you have to establish a rhythm for nailing the corners.

That said, it is a very annoying track, and some turns could be made faster to improve the show.
This is true- you do have to be very accurate, but they could really really do with making (or to have made) some parts of it varied- I mean it's no comparison to a track like Spa, Suzuka or Silverstone for example, (or TBH many others- even Tilke ones) with a real variety of corner types or elements.

Wouter

Google translate.
The analyzes carried out in Brixworth by the Mercedes technicians showed that Lance Stroll's power unit did not survive the Canadian driver's terrible bang in the Tuscan GP unscathed. In addition to having demolished half of the RP20 with the new aerodynamic configuration, the engine was also damaged in the crash before the Arrabbiata 2, so the Canadian will face the Russian GP with the third unit of the season.
https://it.motorsport.com/f1/news/f1-ra ... n=widget-1
The Power of Dreams!

godlameroso

No rain, tail wind down the main straight on race day.
Saishū kōnā

MtthsMlw

Big news.. not really fitting in this thread though.
https://www.racefans.net/2020/09/22/ex- ... ula-1-ceo/