Sauber C24

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
dumrick

Sauber C24

First static photos

Steven
Owner

Hehe wonderful, you can clearly see they have been doing lots of work in the windtunnel. I just hope they haven't forgotten the other things about the car.

Anyway, what I notice here:
- A very Ferrari-like front wing
- Nose visibly resembling the C23 but looking thinner
- Rather large flipups in front of the rear wheels
- Very very small air inlet in the sidepods and a sleek front of it. You can see that much air coming from the splitter will not even get into the radiator, but will be guided under the inlet around the sidepod.
- There seems to be some space left on the engine cover. Anyone interested in advertising? :wink:

Monstrobolaxa

F1technical.net could sponsor Sauber :wink:

Well IMO the Sauber is much nicer then the toyota....

Irvingthien

Love the sidepods,
the car look so damn small.....
who's driving for them again..???

Steven
Owner

a few top drivers if you ask me ;)

Jacques Villeneuve
Felipe Massa

dumrick

Look how close the engine cover is getting to the rear wing, with these new regulations. No wonder people like Toyota are putting finns to stabilize the flow there (and, potentially, to generate vortexes? I must look at it again...)

Anyone know why the rear calipers are mounted on the bottom and the fronts arent? ( i know WHY they would be mounted on the bottom of the rotor, so please don't explain that, just curious if their is a reason for different mounting on the front and rear? )

walter

spectacular!

Its amazing what some dieting in a nice wind tunnel will do. I am not sure if this is also the works of ferrari that we are seeing, but Sauber looks like its ahead of the game so far with this new C24. Look at the sidepods, in addition to the the unusual inlet, look at how low they are at the rear! theyre almost on the same line as the rear axle! and by the end it looks like the sidepod's top surface has leveled out at that height, its not a downward slope anymore, which is good, because it does not create as much lift.

Secondly, the Exhaust placement is very interesting, it is very far forward, and very low. This makes me speculate about the engine placement and the header design. I would love to take a peak under the cover! :wink:

Anyways, another thing worth mentioning... Shark gills right on top of the sidepod, also very far forward, leads me to believe that the radiators have a new extreme angle, thus needing a way of expelling the hot air ASAP, via the vast amount of shark gills. In general this reminds me of Mclaren's MP4-18 and MP4-19 and their struggle to get more heat out of the tiny cramped sidepods.

And the last and perhaps biggest change in the C24: TIRES! I hope this gives them the needed edge. I want to see that blue on the podium sometime soon. :D

Carbon

In a word...stunning. Beautiful sidepod treatment. The air inlets are so small in makes me wonder if they are bound to grow during some of the hotter races. The engine cover is also nicely sculpted.

Previous poster talked about the exhaust placement, that struck me as odd as well, so far forward with such small openings.

Let's hope the car goes as well as it looks.

Micky

This car is stunning, especially the side pods.

They must be very confident of their engine not overheating even though it has to last two full races.

Time will tell :D

walter

Another thing that strikes me about this car is the front wing endplates, which seem more advanced aerodynamically than seen before. I wonder if the higher front wing placement lends to the uniquiely small radiator air inlet. I would thing that the higher wing placement would disturb more air and would cause more disturbed air going towards the radiator air inlets. Perhaps the air inlets are in the direct line of the air stream from the raised front wing?

Any thoughs on that???

pompelmo

nice..seems highly aerodynamicly improved

Steven
Owner

look at this
seen today on the new C24 when testing at Jerez:

eoghan
eoghan

C24 Front Wing

Just looking at some pictures of the Sauber C24 during it's first test. The front wing assembly has an additional wing above the normal sculpted elements - these additional elements are attached directly to the nose cone...giving a bi-plane effect.

My guess is that they are not directly contributing to downforce but are directing and cleaning airflow in to the very small raised sidepod intakes.

Perhaps similar to the airbox wings that sprouted during 2004 to account for the reduction in rear wing elements?

Check out:

http://www.atlasf1.com/gallery/index.php/id/352

Anyway - it caught my eye. Great looking car too.

eoghan
eoghan

You beat me to it Tomba!