[ 2020 ] Racing Point F1 Team - Mercedes

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Raleigh

Re: [ 2020 ] Racing Point F1 Team - Mercedes

adrianjordan wrote:
19 Sep 2020, 17:21
Can't remember where, but I saw a video which explained that AM will still be limited because they won't be able to change enough of their car to properly benefit from the newer Merc parts.

I fully expect them to slip back firmly into the midfield next season.
Old video maybe?

Racing Point just made a big update at Mugello, new sidepods, new brake ducts, yet more Mercedes inspired aero updates. At this point they are effectively running a W10.5 and have already made all the big changes needed to take full advantage of getting the W11 suspension and gearbox.

Plus, the new restrictions on copying don't actually start till 2021, Racing Point is well aware and has if anything accelerated their "W10 to W11" aero update program.

Sidhartha.techie

Raleigh wrote:
20 Sep 2020, 23:37
adrianjordan wrote:
Can't remember where, but I saw a video which explained that AM will still be limited because they won't be able to change enough of their car to properly benefit from the newer Merc parts.

Old video maybe?

Racing Point just made a big update at Mugello, new sidepods, new brake ducts, yet more Mercedes inspired aero updates. At this point they are effectively running a W10.5 and have already made all the big changes needed to take full advantage of getting the W11 suspension and gearbox.

Plus, the new restrictions on copying don't actually start till 2021, Racing Point is well aware and has if anything accelerated their "W10 to W11" aero update program.
I think what adrianjordan was referring to is that, they cant run a car heavily inspired by W11 next year as the current tub has to be carried forward next year, and Mercedes made quite a number of changes to their 2020 tub compared to 2019.

But as you correctly pointed, racingpoint with the latest update have cleared the path for maximum benefit of the new rear suspension. They are still learning the package they have got, if they stick the rear end then I am guessing they are gonna be really fast next year.
"ok Lewis, it's hammer time"
" Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose." - Aryton Senna

Raleigh

Sidhartha.techie wrote:
21 Sep 2020, 20:59
Raleigh wrote:
adrianjordan wrote:

Old video maybe?

I think what adrianjordan was referring to is that, they cant run a car heavily inspired by W11 next year as the current tub has to be carried forward next year, and Mercedes made quite a number of changes to their 2020 tub compared to 2019.

But as you correctly pointed, racingpoint with the latest update have cleared the path for maximum benefit of the new rear suspension. They are still learning the package they have got, if they stick the rear end then I am guessing they are gonna be really fast next year.
Right, but everyone thought Racing Point wouldn't be able to copy the W11 sidepods because the side crash structure had been moved (which would require a new tub), yet Racing Point came up with a clever workaround that replicates the Mercedes sidepod concept without needing to move the crash structure.

W11 front suspension will bolt right in because the mounting points haven't changed and Racing Point have already adopted W11 style outer suspension/brake ducts ahead of the development restrictions. Everything else is just aero which remains free development. Haven't even used the 2 tokens yet.

Racing Point have successfully implemented all the changes they need to go from W10 concept to W11 concept and I'm absolutely expecting Aston Martin to turn up in Australia with a full featured W11 clone (in late 2020-spec no less).

search

SmallSoldier wrote:
15 Sep 2020, 17:34
Racer X wrote:This is just a rumor but so the new upgraded parts that were set to be on Sergios car... because Stroll crashed now they will go on Lances car. :lol: i hope Lance does not crash again yikes...
Not surprising if that’s the case, not only Lance ahead in the WDC, he is the one staying with the team...
I guess it makes sense, yeah, last week Szafnauer said they were trying to get two sets of updates ready for Sochi, though. Are there any news yet if they made it or not?

Wouter

Google translate.

The analyzes carried out in Brixworth by the Mercedes technicians showed that Lance Stroll's power unit did not survive the Canadian driver's terrible bang in the Tuscan GP unscathed. In addition to having demolished half of the RP20 with the new aerodynamic configuration, the engine was also damaged in the crash before the Arrabbiata 2, so the Canadian will face the Russian GP with the third unit of the season.
https://it.motorsport.com/f1/news/f1-ra ... n=widget-1
The Power of Dreams!

adrianjordan

Raleigh wrote:
22 Sep 2020, 04:12
Sidhartha.techie wrote:
21 Sep 2020, 20:59
Raleigh wrote:

Old video maybe?

Right, but everyone thought Racing Point wouldn't be able to copy the W11 sidepods because the side crash structure had been moved (which would require a new tub), yet Racing Point came up with a clever workaround that replicates the Mercedes sidepod concept without needing to move the crash structure.

W11 front suspension will bolt right in because the mounting points haven't changed and Racing Point have already adopted W11 style outer suspension/brake ducts ahead of the development restrictions. Everything else is just aero which remains free development. Haven't even used the 2 tokens yet.

Racing Point have successfully implemented all the changes they need to go from W10 concept to W11 concept and I'm absolutely expecting Aston Martin to turn up in Australia with a full featured W11 clone (in late 2020-spec no less).
If they do (turn up with a W11 clone), surely they'll be banned as cloning is against the 2021 rules.
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

Raleigh

adrianjordan wrote:
23 Sep 2020, 13:02
Raleigh wrote:
22 Sep 2020, 04:12
If they do (turn up with a W11 clone), surely they'll be banned as cloning is against the 2021 rules.
You'd think, but the new regs are limited to banning copying via photogrammetry during the 2021 season, no effect on development done up until the season starts. Racing Point is free to continue cloning the W11 during 2020 and can run that car in 2021 with no legal issues.

Moore77

adrianjordan wrote:
23 Sep 2020, 13:02
Other than vague statements so far, there are no actual rules implemented that can stop copying or cloning. It seems almost impossible to define clear rules in this direction.
Gangdom: Pom, Tom, Loverboy, Boomer.

MtthsMlw

Nice

NathanOlder

Thank god for that!
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

NAPI10

MtthsMlw wrote:
24 Sep 2020, 14:57
Nice
Racing green with mat finish & 'AM wings' on side pods will look amazing =D> =D>

cplchanb

NAPI10 wrote:
24 Sep 2020, 16:58
MtthsMlw wrote:
Nice
Racing green with mat finish & 'AM wings' on side pods will look amazing =D> =D>
No matte finish please. its way overdone by RB and Ferrari already. Stick with the BRG

search

sounds like Racing Point brings another major update this weekend (for both cars, new sidepods only for Stroll):

"The new rear suspension is extremely advanced in how far Mercedes has been able to sweep it rearwards – with the rear lower wishbone feeding into the crash structure rather than the gearbox. It has been structurally very challenging.

It allows a more powerful airflow around the diffuser, accelerating in turn the speed of the underfloor airflow and thereby increasing downforce.

This development follows the upgrade package Racing Point introduced at Mugello that moved away from the Mercedes concept in sidepod and front brake duct designs."

https://the-race.com/formula-1/racing-p ... -rear-end/

Manoah2u

MtthsMlw wrote:
Nice
Oh my!

this looked like one of the hottest liveries imho

"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

Racer X

The aero updates are only on Lance's car but the suspension upgrade is on both cars.

I just heard the press conference.

Sergio sounds sooooo dam knowledgeable. Who is this guy what happened to the chill laid back dude. He's sounding more like a veteran that he is.

Also he's in talks with TEAM'S... I wonder if one of those teams is Williams. I would love to see him with Williams but on a 2 year contract.
RedBull Racing Checo//PEREZ