2020 Russian Grand Prix - Sochi Autodrom, September 25 - 27

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Mogster

Re: 2020 Russian Grand Prix - Sochi Autodrom, September 25 - 27

For a street circuit I don’t think the layout is that bad. The location is just dull dull dull though. Bung the track in St Petersburg with the Winter Palace, Church of the Savior and stuff as a backdrop it would at least be more interesting.

NathanOlder

I think if we have to go to Russia, then it has to be Moscow. street circuit or the Moscow raceway, just make it Moscow.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

SiLo

Wouter wrote:
23 Sep 2020, 14:30
According to Motorsport Italy, Lance will have his third engine. Who will get this upgrade this time?
Perez or Lance?

I believe Lance will get the upgrade as he is ahead in the championship, and the wreck at Mugello wasn't his fault.

RP didn't have the capacity to build another two sets of the upgrade.
Felipe Baby!

Wouter

SiLo wrote:
24 Sep 2020, 10:53
Wouter wrote:
According to Motorsport Italy, Lance will have his third engine. Who will get this upgrade this time?
Perez or Lance?
I believe Lance will get the upgrade as he is ahead in the championship, and the wreck at Mugello wasn't his fault.

The Power of Dreams!

El Scorchio

Wouter wrote:
24 Sep 2020, 11:02
SiLo wrote:
24 Sep 2020, 10:53
Wouter wrote:
Perez or Lance?

Of course he's ahead in the championship. Perez missed two races and in at least two races this season they've obviously 'done a Ferrari' with pit strategy to get Lance ahead of the other car. Most notably Hulk in GB2.

If Perez WAS ahead in the championship, they'd just find another reason to give it to Lance instead anyway. I predict a real clash next season there if Vettel is whooping the owner's son's arse, race in race out, but Lance is getting preferential treatment. He's in the 'I give no f***s' part of his career now and he's not going to be afraid to speak out about any shenanigans.

djos

Perez only had himself to blame for not taking relevant precautions and contacting COVID as a result.
"In downforce we trust"

El Scorchio

djos wrote:
24 Sep 2020, 13:33
Perez only had himself to blame for not taking relevant precautions and contacting COVID as a result.
TBH I think it's irrelevant. (And it seems a case of what source you believe as to whether Perez actually WAS careless or not) Stroll would still be getting all the upgrades first regardless, but just with another reason cited instead.

Wouter

The Power of Dreams!

TAG

Can the Schumacher record thread be unlocked? It's been a while and there's content I'd like to post there as it's more appropriate than here on the race thread.

"Netflix to join Mercedes at Sochi as Hamilton bids to equal Schumacher’s record"
माकडाच्या हाती कोलीत

El Scorchio

TAG wrote:
24 Sep 2020, 16:17
Can the Schumacher record thread be unlocked? It's been a while and there's content I'd like to post there as it's more appropriate than here on the race thread.

"Netflix to join Mercedes at Sochi as Hamilton bids to equal Schumacher’s record"
It's a shame it had to be locked. Hopefully everyone has cooled down a little now!

PlatinumZealot

Haha. It will be fireoworks in that thread. Best it stays closed.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Manoah2u

Not neccesarily so, there was a firestarter around but since he/she/it is now no longer able to participate, i think things will be a lot less explosive.

Something tells me Hamilton won't make his 91th GP win this weekend though.
Either it'll be another bonkers weekend, or it'll be boring and Hamilton will make it though.

Let's go for something crazy. Stroll or Kvyat for the win.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

NathanOlder

Manoah2u wrote:
24 Sep 2020, 22:56
Not neccesarily so, there was a firestarter around but since he/she/it is now no longer able to participate, i think things will be a lot less explosive.

Either it'll be another bonkers weekend, or it'll be boring and Hamilton will make it though.

If it were to be a crazy race, I'd love to Perez or Ricciardo win. I have a feeling Bottas may cause an upset though. He will take the lead down to turn 2, and Lewis will get frustrated and stuck behind.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

Manoah2u

NathanOlder wrote:
24 Sep 2020, 23:35
Manoah2u wrote:

If it were to be a crazy race, I'd love to Perez or Ricciardo win. I have a feeling Bottas may cause an upset though. He will take the lead down to turn 2, and Lewis will get frustrated and stuck behind.
Crazy start, somewhere between T1 and T5, Bottas overtakes Hamilton, takes the turn wide, collides with the wheels, Albon starts from the back, Ham's front suspension breaks, Bottas rear puncture and floor damage, Max has to avoid collision, barely makes it, Sainz loses places after making contact with Ricciardo who's out, Safety car. Restart Max P1, Perez P2, Ocon P3, Stroll P4, Norris P5, Raikkonen P6, Leclerc P7. Restart Perez has a slow getaway, Ocon overtakes him, Max gets engine problems, Ocon takes the lead. Ocon, Perez, Stroll make up P1 to P3, Lelerc battles Norris for P4. This goes on for a while, Perez undercuts Ocon who has a slower pitstop. Perez P1, Ocon P2, Stroll P3. Incident occurs somewhere, second safety car. Perez and Ocon just miss the pit entry, Stroll takes a pitstop. Leclerc stays out, gets P3. Restart Perez gets away well, Ocon defends against Leclerc who got a better start than Esteban despite both on worn tires, Ocon locks his brakes and sets a flat spot, Leclerc takes P2 but Stroll's pink mercedes on fresh tires and after geting DRS easily overtakes Charles to take P2. Ocon needs to come in for tires, Norris in P4 overtakes Leclerc to get P3. Albon who started from the back, had been collected by magnussen previously (hence Safety car). Raikkonen is P5 with Bottas behind him who can't overtake him. Meanwhile, Stroll on fresher tires and upgraded car, gets within DRS range, Stroll overtakes Perez in the final 5 laps.

P1 Stroll. P2 Perez. P3 Norris. P4 LeClerc. P5 Raikkonen. P6. Bottas. P7. Kvyat. P8 Ocon. P9 Vettel. P10 Gasly.

Stroll happy. Perez not, and everybody thinks Perez should have won and suspects Daddy intervened.
Vettel confirmed RP is a good move next year. Norris super happy with P3. Ferrari claims improvement thanks to P4 of LeClerc. Bottas floor damage couldn't bring in better results. RedBull disappointment with two DNF's.

Max engine problem turns out to be a problem with the steering wheel, which put the car in some mode which made it looks like engine problems. WDC over for Max, he's just done with it. Hamilton is annoyed with Valterri for taking too much speed in the corner after he didn't have the best of starts and then correcting the steer which resulted in contact and his suspension giving way. Isn't mad because he is miles ahead in the championship, sad for Max to see the competition lost, Ferrari making improvements, and missing out in Sochi for the 91th win, but is pleased with the crowd and how nice it is to go for the crowd. He couldn't show his political move/shirt/whatever due to this either.

He'll go for the next race to have a better result, but feels bad for the team that they again didn't get the results they were looking for, applauds the team (not Bottas) for achieving P6 with such a bad floor which shows how good the car is, and compliments RP with their win.

okay i got carried away.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

langedweil

Manoah2u wrote:
25 Sep 2020, 01:40
NathanOlder wrote:
24 Sep 2020, 23:35
Manoah2u wrote:

Crazy start, somewhere between T1 and T5, Bottas overtakes Hamilton, takes the turn wide, collides with the wheels, Albon starts from the back, Ham's front suspension breaks, Bottas rear puncture and floor damage, Max has to avoid collision, barely makes it, Sainz loses places after making contact with Ricciardo who's out, Safety car. Restart Max P1, Perez P2, Ocon P3, Stroll P4, Norris P5, Raikkonen P6, Leclerc P7. Restart Perez has a slow getaway, Ocon overtakes him, Max gets engine problems, Ocon takes the lead. Ocon, Perez, Stroll make up P1 to P3, Lelerc battles Norris for P4. This goes on for a while, Perez undercuts Ocon who has a slower pitstop. Perez P1, Ocon P2, Stroll P3. Incident occurs somewhere, second safety car. Perez and Ocon just miss the pit entry, Stroll takes a pitstop. Leclerc stays out, gets P3. Restart Perez gets away well, Ocon defends against Leclerc who got a better start than Esteban despite both on worn tires, Ocon locks his brakes and sets a flat spot, Leclerc takes P2 but Stroll's pink mercedes on fresh tires and after geting DRS easily overtakes Charles to take P2. Ocon needs to come in for tires, Norris in P4 overtakes Leclerc to get P3. Albon who started from the back, had been collected by magnussen previously (hence Safety car). Raikkonen is P5 with Bottas behind him who can't overtake him. Meanwhile, Stroll on fresher tires and upgraded car, gets within DRS range, Stroll overtakes Perez in the final 5 laps.

P1 Stroll. P2 Perez. P3 Norris. P4 LeClerc. P5 Raikkonen. P6. Bottas. P7. Kvyat. P8 Ocon. P9 Vettel. P10 Gasly.

Stroll happy. Perez not, and everybody thinks Perez should have won and suspects Daddy intervened.
Vettel confirmed RP is a good move next year. Norris super happy with P3. Ferrari claims improvement thanks to P4 of LeClerc. Bottas floor damage couldn't bring in better results. RedBull disappointment with two DNF's.

Max engine problem turns out to be a problem with the steering wheel, which put the car in some mode which made it looks like engine problems. WDC over for Max, he's just done with it. Hamilton is annoyed with Valterri for taking too much speed in the corner after he didn't have the best of starts and then correcting the steer which resulted in contact and his suspension giving way. Isn't mad because he is miles ahead in the championship, sad for Max to see the competition lost, Ferrari making improvements, and missing out in Sochi for the 91th win, but is pleased with the crowd and how nice it is to go for the crowd. He couldn't show his political move/shirt/whatever due to this either.

He'll go for the next race to have a better result, but feels bad for the team that they again didn't get the results they were looking for, applauds the team (not Bottas) for achieving P6 with such a bad floor which shows how good the car is, and compliments RP with their win.

okay i got carried away.
If only 50% will come through, I'll stand up and applaud you ...
HuggaWugga !