Reverse grid gimmick is go!

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
RZS10

Re: Reverse grid gimmick is go!

Nah it's just a backwards way of asking whether people want to see the future WDC fight through the field ...

notsofast

The wording of #2 is pretty disgusting. It's trickery. Sure, to consider a driver one of the greatest of all time, you would take into account all those things. However, the World Champion is the one who earns the most points during a season. Simple as that. In other words, "strongly disagree" here.

Just_a_fan

#2 is a leading question written with the obvious intent that people saying "yes" to it are therefore in favour of the reverse grid proposal by a roundabout way.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Schuttelberg

the EDGE wrote:
17 Sep 2020, 14:53
Schuttelberg wrote:
17 Sep 2020, 14:48
the EDGE wrote:
16 Sep 2020, 21:28
F1 LAUNCHES FAN SURVEY ABOUT FOUR-RACE REVERSE-GRID PLAN

https://www.f1fanvoice.com/auth/sign_in.touch

You have to sign-up (free) if not already a member
It will have an overwhelming "YES" to reverse grids. People have burnt their ropes with Mercedes domination that includes me, but this is not the answer.
Mercedes domination is what it is, doesn’t bother me who wins, as a McLaren fan. I still enjoy watching McLaren battle with their closest rivals

And good luck to Merc, I’d far rather they won than winging Redbull or arrogant Ferrari
That's your opinion and good on you. I find Mercedes extremely arrogant and reaping the rewards of a set up made by Ross Brawn, ironically the same bloke who created the wonders at Ferrari.
Red Bull are the most ill treated team by fans. They've been in F1 for almost 25 years in some capacity, give us two teams on the grid and if we make a list of the top 10 drivers on the grid today, half of them are RBR academy drivers.
And for me, I see McLaren at the peak. I can't care less about them fighting for third or fourth. They're a team that deserves to be at the top.. I really hope 2022 sees them return at the top of the sport.
"Sebastian there's very, you're a member of a very select few.. Stewart, Lauda, Piquet, Senna, Prost, Schumacher, Fangio.. VETTEL!"

Wynters

Just_a_fan wrote:
17 Sep 2020, 19:00
#2 is a leading question written with the obvious intent that people saying "yes" to it are therefore in favour of the reverse grid proposal by a roundabout way.
They really are desperate, aren't they.

There's a old TV programme called 'Yes, Prime Minister'. In it, there's a useful lesson about the importance of wording in polling.
"The Prime Minister has had an opinion poll done, it seems all the voters are in favour of bringing back National service."

"Well, simply have another opinion poll done showing they are against it."

"They can't be for it and against it!"

"Of course they can. Observe. Are you worried about the number of young people without jobs?
Are you worried about the rise in crime amongst teenagers?
Do you think there is a lack of discipline in our schools?
Do you think young people would benefit from some authority and leadership in their lives?
Do you think they respond to a challenge?
Would you be in favour of introducing National Service?"

You can't really say 'No' to the last one once you answered 'yes' to all the others. And the polling company then only publishes the last question.

Of course, the opposite answer is easy enough to produce.

"Are you worried about the danger of war?
Are you worried about the growing availability of lethal armaments?
Do you think there's a danger in giving young people guns and teaching them how to kill?
Do you think it's wrong to force people to take up arms and fight against their will?
Would you be in favour of introducing National Service?"
At least we know how little faith they have in the idea that they have to stack the deck this hard to make it seem palatable.

i70q7m7ghw

Schuttelberg wrote:
17 Sep 2020, 14:49
Bridgestone and Goodyear did it just fine. Tyre wars just become all about tyres. It doesn't solve any problem.
Both of those manufacturers had a long period competing against another manufacturer before becoming the sole supplier. They "did it just fine" because they had the benefit of experience. Pirelli have no benchmark, they aren't even trying to produce a competitive tyre anymore because they don't need to.

Also, historically, other than back in the 1950s Pirelli have produced the worst tyre when competing with other manufacturers, see here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Formula_One_tyres

I suspect they are only interested in F1 if they can be sole supplier i.e. the defacto "best".

Schuttelberg

Diesel wrote:
18 Sep 2020, 01:40
Schuttelberg wrote:
Bridgestone and Goodyear did it just fine. Tyre wars just become all about tyres. It doesn't solve any problem.
Both of those manufacturers had a long period competing against another manufacturer before becoming the sole supplier. They "did it just fine" because they had the benefit of experience. Pirelli have no benchmark, they aren't even trying to produce a competitive tyre anymore because they don't need to.

Also, historically, other than back in the 1950s Pirelli have produced the worst tyre when competing with other manufacturers, see here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Formula_One_tyres

I suspect they are only interested in F1 if they can be sole supplier i.e. the defacto "best".
Your post is the answer mate. Pirelli doesn't deserve to be supplying to the F1 grid.
"Sebastian there's very, you're a member of a very select few.. Stewart, Lauda, Piquet, Senna, Prost, Schumacher, Fangio.. VETTEL!"

falonso81

But why other tyre manufacturers are not interested in supplying F1 tyres?

LM10

Opinions of Hamilton, Leclerc and Vettel on the reverse grid idea:

nzjrs

falonso81 wrote:
20 Sep 2020, 18:15
One contributing factor for this contract is that the supplier needed to produce 13 inch tire for 2 years and then the new 18 inch tires. That's a rediculous way to stricture the new supply contact if the FIA was genuinely interested in having a competitive open tender for more suppliers than Pirelli.

Nevertheless, I think only Hankook tendered?

JordanMugen

falonso81 wrote:
Hankook tendered, but were rejected. :|
Schuttelberg wrote:
It solves the Mercedes winning problem though, if Mercedes-Benz have dud Pirellis while Red Bull Racing and McLaren have the ace Yokohamas. :D

Big Tea

JordanMugen wrote:
23 Sep 2020, 13:37
It solves the Mercedes winning problem though, if Mercedes-Benz have dud Pirellis while Red Bull Racing and McLaren have the ace Yokohamas. :D
[/quote]

But if you were Yokahama, who would you give first option on your supply? :twisted:
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

falonso81

nzjrs wrote:
20 Sep 2020, 22:24
falonso81 wrote:
One contributing factor for this contract is that the supplier needed to produce 13 inch tire for 2 years and then the new 18 inch tires. That's a rediculous way to stricture the new supply contact if the FIA was genuinely interested in having a competitive open tender for more suppliers than Pirelli.

Nevertheless, I think only Hankook tendered?
They could have extended the current contract by a year and then issue a new one for 2021-2024 or what ever. It would have been a lot more fair to anyone else interested to enter. I can only think of one team that benefits from things being as they are with as little a change as possible. :twisted: :twisted:

Just_a_fan

falonso81 wrote:
24 Sep 2020, 20:55
I can only think of one team that benefits from things being as they are with as little a change as possible. :twisted: :twisted:
Which team signs the tyre supply contract?

Which team has two, soon to be three, former employees in the top seats of F1? :wink:
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

komninosm

LM10 wrote:
20 Sep 2020, 21:19
Opinions of Hamilton, Leclerc and Vettel on the reverse grid idea:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=MxPt6I6oLPY
LOL that was /thread