2020 Russian Grand Prix - Sochi Autodrom, September 25 - 27

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
MtthsMlw

Re: 2020 Russian Grand Prix - Sochi Autodrom, September 25 - 27

They didn't listen to the radio before?? Everyone with F1 TV can do that but not the stewards?

dans79

Phil wrote:
27 Sep 2020, 18:23
The really funny thing is, at the point of when the infringement took place to the time it was issued that he was under investigation, to another good 20 minutes later when the penalty was given... what were they doing, if not for listening to the team radio?!
you have to wonder sometimes, especially when sky was playing it for the whole world to see before the race even started.
197 104 103 7

Sevach
Sevach

komninosm wrote:
27 Sep 2020, 18:05
Wynters wrote:
27 Sep 2020, 17:53
I also wonder what Mercedes will say about pitting Hamilton so early? Sky said something about Mercedes being worried about a Renault undercut, but that seems like a ludicrous proposition.
That's pretty ludicrous.
I think Mercedes will say he used up his tires and it was unsafe to drive any longer.
I think he should have gone longer, or instead try 2 pit stops and hope for a SC.
I mean he had 3rd place in the bag anyway.
The hard tire was very slow, Hamilton on new hards was being gapped by Bottas on used mediums, If Hamilton carried his softs to lap 22 or so he could've taken mediums the rest of the way, i'm shocked no one tried that.

komninosm
komninosm

djones wrote:
27 Sep 2020, 18:22
So wait on... what about the time penalty?
I think the point is that the time penalty goes to the driver, for "gaining an advantage" (whatever that might be in this case - imaginary).
But the Penalty points are for dangerous driving and the driver was not at fault since he was ordered by his team to do that.

Anyway it's just more https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theatre_of_the_Absurd
Seriously, this is just negotiating and not ruling at this point. Trying to find with how much --- they can get away with, without a massive backlash for unfairness.

It still doesn't explain why no investigation on Verstappen, Leclerc, Vettel for dangerous driving in pit and causing collisions.

Also, since Article 36.1 says no slowing down in the pit exit, how come they didn't penalize several drivers yesterday in Q2 who slowed down after the red flag was over, when exiting the pits?

ENGINE TUNER
ENGINE TUNER

siskue2005 wrote:
27 Sep 2020, 16:15
it's odd how much they steered away from its original use of penalty points

Originally it was introduced to get drivers that crash a lot out without having to judge the case subjectively (like with Grosjean back in Spa), but they are dishing out a lot of penalty points for formal infregments that before that were only reprimands (3 of them meant a 10 place drop) nowadays. Of the 10 Hamilton has only 4 were actually for collisions.

Race bans should reserved for persistent dangerous driving not for slip ups or team's mistakes

One thing I don't really understand - okay, Lewis and team shoot himself in the foot here - but why Mercedes always robs both us and Lewis from a strategy where he can really shine, like a bold two stopper and let him push. It would have been spectacular to watch that. but they didnt do it.

As soon as Riccardo pitted (who is like 9 sec behind) i was like oh they are gonna pit him now, they are that conservative now.
The pirelli tires can NOT be pushed under any conditions and especially under hot conditions like today.

siskue2005

f1jcw wrote:
27 Sep 2020, 18:15
wow

“The stewards received information from the team that the driver of car 44 had received a team instruction to perform the practice start in the incorrect place. This was confirmed by the Stewards having listened to the audio between the Team and the Driver.

“Based on this information the Stewards replace document 46 with this decision and therefore remove the penalty points imposed and fine the competitor (Mercedes-AMG Petronas F1 Team) €25,000.”
I am glad that they retracted the penalty points

But they are making themselves look like idiots now

HAMs points would later be rescinded says the narrator - Fade to black - Drive to Survive Episode ends - Credits roll.

Now that’s an ending 😁
Team ANTI-HYPE. Prove it, then I’ll anoint you.

RZS10

What a complete and utter shitshow by the stewards ... remember when a certain driver had an unsafe release and the team was fined but the driver got away without a penalty with the argument that it was the team's fault? Turning things around this would mean that it also shouldn't have been 2 * 5s for the driver but another fine for the team, no?

Phil

I'm more annoyed that he ultimately got a penalty for something that wasn't defined clearly. This should teach the stewards/race directory to be more precise in what they expect the drivers to do and not be a punishment for drivers who legitimately exploit it. In the end, it ruined a race for something that wasn't even relevant to the race itself.
Last edited by Phil on 27 Sep 2020, 18:45, edited 1 time in total.
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

El Scorchio

It's the common sense decision, really. Penalty points were a bit absurd.
As for the teams error- I make it akin to an unsafe release or loose wheel after a stop. It's a shame the driver is penalised for something that's not his fault or within his control. Possibly a WCC point penalty is the fairest thing in circumstances like that.

Fulcrum
Fulcrum

siskue2005 wrote:
27 Sep 2020, 16:01
komninosm wrote:
27 Sep 2020, 16:00
PlatinumZealot wrote:
27 Sep 2020, 15:06
Becuase of new rules on the podium driver must be fully clothed up to the neck! They cant even remove their gloves!

Silly if you ask me!

If only the Laws in the real world could be ammended this rapidly for equal justice.
Seriously? They added rules for that? I'm pretty sure they all removed the gloves. Quick give them 2 penalty points each! /wink wink nudge nudge say no more
Lewis removed one gloves in the podium, he desreves 10 place grid drop and 2 penalty points for next race! :lol: :lol:
If he's really committed to the cause he should just tattoo BLM on his forehead.

ENGINE TUNER
ENGINE TUNER

El Scorchio wrote:
27 Sep 2020, 18:44
As for the teams error- I make it akin to an unsafe release or loose wheel after a stop. It's a shame the driver is penalised for something that's not his fault or within his control. Possibly a WCC point penalty is the fairest thing in circumstances like that.
There is nothing that says the team made an error, there is no regulation or direction that says it is illegal for HAM to make the practice start where he did. The whole thing is just complete and utter BS.

ENGINE TUNER
ENGINE TUNER

Fulcrum wrote:
27 Sep 2020, 18:46
siskue2005 wrote:
27 Sep 2020, 16:01
komninosm wrote:
27 Sep 2020, 16:00

Seriously? They added rules for that? I'm pretty sure they all removed the gloves. Quick give them 2 penalty points each! /wink wink nudge nudge say no more
Lewis removed one gloves in the podium, he desreves 10 place grid drop and 2 penalty points for next race! :lol: :lol:
If he's really committed to the cause he should just tattoo BLM on his forehead.
Good idea, Henna tattoo of course

Fulcrum
Fulcrum

That guy from The Big Bang Theory really gets around.

El Scorchio

ENGINE TUNER wrote:
27 Sep 2020, 18:47
El Scorchio wrote:
27 Sep 2020, 18:44
There is nothing that says the team made an error, there is no regulation or direction that says it is illegal for HAM to make the practice start where he did. The whole thing is just complete and utter BS.
Very true. It's a bit of an embarrassing shitshow all round. I think they just saw an opportunity to enhance THE SHOW and took it without fully thinking it through, along with all its repercussions.

How many times have those sentiments been posted to this forum so far this season?