Renault Power Unit Hardware & Software

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
Tommy Cookers

Re: Renault Power Unit Hardware & Software

carisi2k wrote:
26 Sep 2020, 04:39
.... Since when are Mercedes and Renault partners? ....
afaik and fwiw
doesn't the 'Mercedes' company hold shares in the Renault company ? (and vice-versa)

this having made suspect eg the independence of voting on engine design freeze in the NA days ?

selvam_e2002

It is just posted in gptoday and most of the things in gptoday are rumors. I don't even think so they get any info from Mercedes. It does not even make any sense.

tangodjango

carisi2k wrote:
26 Sep 2020, 04:39
toraabe wrote:
05 Sep 2020, 18:02
Now that Renault engine really has got beans. Definitely not far behind Mercedes but clear ahead of Honda. I wonder if that rumour about information on optimising their engine from partner Mercedes is true.......
Since when are Mercedes and Renault partners? Have I missed something? Mercedes and Renault's engines are different concepts and if there was any inkling of this happening there would be issues with Ferrari and Red Bull. Every time a manufacturer makes a gain we always hear the rumours how Mercedes gave them a heads up. Complete stupidity and time to give the engineers at Renault some praise for finally fixing their engine and making it reliable and powerful.

I'm really enjoying watching Daniel up the top of the grid instead of somewhere in the middle.
Yeah fully agree and they appear to have done it with a much smaller budget than Honda/Mercedes which is very creditable. Now I wonder whether they will bring any engine updates next year or hold everything in reserve for 2022. I am sure there are improvements from the new 2022 engine they could bring next year to the next spec from the current engine.
“Hamilton’s talent is perhaps even more than that of Ayrton or Schumacher or Fernando." - Rubens Barrichello

Blackout

No reactions to my finding?? the finding of the century?... and you prefer to discuss the Renault-Mercedes financial ties instead? Image

PlatinumZealot

Cyril did say they are building a brand new engine for 2022 though... He wanted to bring it in 2021 but thought better of it.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

godlameroso

PlatinumZealot wrote:
27 Sep 2020, 00:39
Cyril did say they are building a brand new engine for 2022 though... He wanted to bring it in 2021 but thought better of it.
Ie everyone is going split turbo.
Saishū kōnā

diffuser

godlameroso wrote:
28 Sep 2020, 14:52
PlatinumZealot wrote:
27 Sep 2020, 00:39
Ie everyone is going split turbo.
Yeah, had nothing to do with regs preventing it.

diffuser

Lots of rumblings out there that Renault are now the number 2 most powerful PU. That both Ferrari and Honda have been hurt by the new fuel sensors and regs.

diffuser

Blackout wrote:
25 Sep 2020, 08:07
https://i.imgur.com/JlWrWTE.jpg
Kind of cool kind of scary when you remember the issues Honda had the first year.

djos

diffuser wrote:
29 Sep 2020, 03:57
Lots of rumblings out there that Renault are now the number 2 most powerful PU. That both Ferrari and Honda have been hurt by the new fuel sensors and regs.
It certainly looks that way.
"In downforce we trust"

Blackout

diffuser wrote:
Wasnt it aleady number two in peak power in 2019?. And before the qualy mode ban, even Marko said the Renault was slightly number two in qualy mode. :P
Anyways, it's reliable since the 2019 spec C too. But the 2020 isnt a completely new one. Its a kind of B version.
Number of extra PU elements used by each engine manufacturer after Sotchi:
Ferrari: 40 Honda: 38 Mercedes: 34 Renault: 20
---
diffuser wrote:
29 Sep 2020, 04:11
Blackout wrote:
25 Sep 2020, 08:07
https://i.imgur.com/JlWrWTE.jpg
Kind of cool kind of scary when you remember the issues Honda had the first year.
What kind of issues did they have, a part from the oil supply? you have 30 minutes. A brief summary of the 1160-page Honda Power Unit Hardware & Software topic will suffice.

63l8qrrfy6

Honda didn't nail the location and number of bearings in their first turbos so they ended up with a lateral rotor resonance in the speed range. Eventually they fixed it by adding another bearing where the rotor was poorly supported.

IIRC it was all described in one of the japanese publications and shared on the Honda thread.

GhostF1

diffuser wrote:
Where did you hear Honda were hurt by the sensor regulations? They're making more power than last year and along with RB, probably instigated the new reg in the first place by pointing the finger at Ferrari. Highly unlikely!

Regardless it's worth noting Honda place themselves 2nd. It's unlike them to claim such a thing based on nothing. Frankly, it's unlike them to be this forward at all to be honest.

https://www.grandprix.com/news/no-more- ... amoto.html

We can't base these claims from just Monza which plays to Renaults low df strengths.
As for Renault's reliability I'm not 100% convinced just yet, (just as I am of Mercedes MGU-K, something weird there and Honda's questionable map settings, they seem pretty knife edge like they're trying something) Daniel is on his final ICE which was changed a couple of weekends ago due to issues with the previous one. So that has to last to the end now.

Power unit elements used tells nothing apart from date of introduction, not expiry. As far as I'm aware Honda have all their components available bar a pair of control electronics. There's been no failures except for Max's software issues, and even then, no component failures.

I'm all for banter, but can the chats keep a morsel of fact about them?

Blackout

GhostF1 wrote:
29 Sep 2020, 15:16
It's 100% facts. You're welcome.
-
GhostF1 wrote:
Daniel is on his final ICE which was changed a couple of weekends ago due to issues with the previous one. So that has to last to the end now.
Untrue. He put a new engine/PU in Monza (3rd) because the previous ones were relatively used (he made the first change quite early: in Silverstone2 indeed) so the team has given him a fresh engine in Monza to maximise his chances there.
-
Power unit elements used tells nothing apart from date of introduction, not expiry.
No one said those engines are dead (and the same goes for Ric, his 2 older engines arent necessarily dead - yes the first one probably encountered a problem, hence the early change).
You claim that RIC older engines are already expired... but not the Honda ones...
Daniel is on his final ICE which was changed a couple of weekends ago due to issues with the previous one. So that has to last to the end now.
Just after saying this
Power unit elements used tells nothing apart from date of introduction, not expiry.

-
What the numbers show is that the other teams had also more alerts and warnings, or worse.

Walkman

GhostF1 wrote:

Regardless it's worth noting Honda place themselves 2nd. It's unlike them to claim such a thing based on nothing. Frankly, it's unlike them to be this forward at all to be honest.
Just like that famous power graph putting themselves in front of renault while casually ignoring the huge jump in power Renault made that winter.

Fact is Honda will never accept that they are behind Renault, because RB will never accept that, and because they spend a --- ton more than Renault on their PU program. On track it's clearly another story. The Honda is the only engine having massive clipping issues.

On peak power most insiders put the Honda third.

Everybody has a different opinion in the end but if the Honda is really in front of the Renault, man did RedBull and AT --- up badly !