General Honda F1 Topic

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
etusch

Re: General Honda F1 Topic

this weekend I watched wtcr nurburgring race. At first race Honda made a gap and win but at second that strangely named blue cars (basically they are volvo) were way faster than honda at high end speed.
I remember tarquini was saying when he is at Honda;" our engine is so powerful but we are lack of top speed, I don't know why"
If I remember right Volvo also talked about that by saying that "we will enter the sport with a sedan, Honda showed us hb layout is not good "
I like Honda's way of building cars and engines but also I want to see them as best or one of bests. So I hope they will take care of it.
Citroen showed us paticipating a sport gives good.experience of building a fast car. they raced at wrc and build 2.0 turbo engine for it. That times wtcc was also using 2.0 turbo and Citroen was clearly more powerful.

rikardo

etusch wrote:
28 Sep 2020, 08:49
this weekend I watched wtcr nurburgring race. At first race Honda made a gap and win but at second that strangely named blue cars (basically they are volvo) were way faster than honda at high end speed.
I remember tarquini was saying when he is at Honda;" our engine is so powerful but we are lack of top speed, I don't know why"
If I remember right Volvo also talked about that by saying that "we will enter the sport with a sedan, Honda showed us hb layout is not good "
I like Honda's way of building cars and engines but also I want to see them as best or one of bests. So I hope they will take care of it.
Citroen showed us paticipating a sport gives good.experience of building a fast car. they raced at wrc and build 2.0 turbo engine for it. That times wtcc was also using 2.0 turbo and Citroen was clearly more powerful.

Hi all!
Just to clarify: WTCC used 1.6 engines. Honda didn't use those type of engine in road cars (i think). Citroen was using them in road and rally cars.
Regards! :D

etusch

rikardo wrote:
28 Sep 2020, 15:07

Hi all!
Just to clarify: WTCC used 1.6 engines. Honda didn't use those type of engine in road cars (i think). Citroen was using them in road and rally cars.
Regards! :D
thank you for correction.

Engine

Type: HR412E (developed by Honda R&D)
Cylinders: 4
Capacity: 1598cc turbocharged
Output: Approx. 380bhp at 7000rpm

Transmission

Gearbox: 6-speed sequential – XTRAC 1046
Clutch: Twin carbon disc
Differential: Limited slip-type with adjustable pre-load

Suspension

Front/rear: McPherson + adjustable anti-roll bar
Shock absorbers: Extreme Racing Shox – 4-way adjustable

Brakes

Front calipers: 4-pot AP Racing bespoke design
Rear calipers: 2-pot AP Racing
Front discs: AP Racing 380 x 34mm
Rear discs: AP Racing 280 x 14mm

Roll cage

JAS-designed, alloyed steel (Cr-Mo) tubes, TIG welded
Seat, belts, steering wheel
OMP

Dimensions

Length: 4498mm (including splitter)
Width: 1950mm
Weight: 1100kg (including driver but not including compensation weight)

Wouter

F2 title still the target, says Tsunoda

Yuki Tsunoda is refusing to give up in the race for the Formula 2 title with two rounds of the season to go, having collected his fifth podium of the year in Sochi, with a second-place finish in the Feature Race.

“It’s still really, really tight, especially third place to sixth,” he explained. “I don’t know how the Championship will look at the end of the season. I started the season as a rookie and everything was new to me, I didn’t know what to expect. I pushed as much as I could from Round 1 Free Practice and have been learning all along.

“I didn’t have any expectations before the season, but I think I’m doing quite a good job so far. I am racing for the team and for the Japanese fans and I want to have more good results, so I will keep pushing. My target is still to take first in the Championship, although there is quite a big points difference to P1.”

In Sochi, he took P2 in FP but put in a storming lap when it counted, snatching pole in Qualifying, directly ahead of his teammate Jehan Daruvala in a Carlin one-two.

“The pace was really good right from Free Practice. This has been the situation in almost every race week,” he continued. “In Sochi, I think that the car was even better than in previous rounds though.

“We had really, really good preparation leading up to the weekend with my teammate Jehan in the simulator and done a lot of work there. That helps to make our pace really good from the beginning. Our engineers done a really, really good job.

“I expected it to be a good race weekend because of the good work that we did beforehand. We went in with really good confidence and we were able to put it all together. That was our best Qualifying result so far as a team and we want to carry this on to Bahrain.”

“I have to deliver in both of the final two rounds - I have to refocus for Bahrain,” he continued. “I need more weekends like Russia, but even better. We had good confidence this weekend, because we know how to make the car good and how to have a good race weekend."

https://www.fiaformula2.com/Latest/79Bf ... ys-tsunoda
The Power of Dreams!

HPD

──Are you talking to Red Bull about what to do if you get or don't get a Super License this year?

Yamamoto MD: It's already October, and I'm talking with Marco about various possibilities. However, we have not reached a conclusion.

──Are you looking at promotion to F1?

Yamamoto MD: Marco personally likes Tsunoda-kun very much. There aren't many drivers who can go up as much as in the first year of the rookie. So I believe that I'm thinking about promoting to F1.
https://www.as-web.jp/overseas/630188/2

etusch

Honda Performance Development has announced David Salters will become its seventh president, succeeding Ted Klaus, who will retire after 30 years with Honda.
HPD, which leads all Honda and Acura high-performance racing programs in North America, hired Salters in 2015 as a chief engineer and engine technical leader, and he has served as technical director since 2019.

Prior to joining HPD, Salters served as head of ICE power unit development for the Ferrari Formula 1 program, as head of F1 engine development at Mercedes-Benz High Performance Engines (née Ilmor) and as a development/design engineer for the CART Indy car program at Cosworth Racing Ltd.

As HPD president, Salters will have responsibility for overseeing Honda’s racing and engineering activities and working directly with the company’s racing teams and sponsors.

Dave Gardner, executive VP of national operations for American Honda Motor Co., Inc. said: “Ted Klaus has been a great leader for Honda Performance Development, demonstrated by the success we have enjoyed in both IndyCar and IMSA racing in the two seasons he has led HPD.

“As we prepare for the exciting electrified era ahead in North American motorsports, we are confident in turning to someone with the experience of David Salters from inside HPD to lead us into the future.

Salters, who among his duties will oversee the development of a new hybrid power unit for IndyCar, said: “I am humbled to have this opportunity to lead HPD as we head into a new electrified era of North American pinnacle motorsport
“HPD is unique within the racing community, with so many technical capabilities under one roof that enable us to design and develop powertrains and complete vehicle performance.

“Looking forward, we will develop and showcase our technology and the skills of our associates through all forms of motorsport from karting all the way through to pinnacle racing in North America.”

Klaus, who became president of HPD in April 2019, joined Honda in 1990 at Honda R&D Americas, Inc. in Ohio, where the company has a full-fledged product development center. He began his career as a chassis development engineer, evolving into a role as the company’s first chief vehicle dynamics evaluator.

In 2013, Klaus became the global development leader of the second-generation Acura NSX, which entered the U.S. market in 2016.

Under Klaus’ guidance, HPD has delivered multiple championships in the Daytona Prototype international and GT Daytona divisions in IMSA in 2019 and is in contention to repeat in both classes with the ARX-05 and NSX GT3 Evo in 2020.

https://www.motorsport.com/indycar/news ... n=widget-1

Wouter

WTF!!

The Power of Dreams!

bauc

It's sad to see HONDA leave F1 again, RBR back to Renault, AT to Ferrari engines?
Формула 1 на Македонски - The first ever Macedonian Formula 1 YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJkjCv ... 6rVRgKASwg

tangodjango

Oh no. This is really terrible news.
“Hamilton’s talent is perhaps even more than that of Ayrton or Schumacher or Fernando." - Rubens Barrichello

yener

This is horrible! RIP formula 1
"Life is about passions - Thank you for sharing mine" MSC

etusch

I can say that I am not surprised. With this administation F1 hasn't got long life. When I am watching races I feel I waste my time.

Sieper

Big blow to Honda racing department, Red Bull, Max and the whole F1 in general. Down to 10 teams and 3 engines. Mega expensive engines. 200 million to start a new team.

I am very dissapointed.

waynes

surely F1 cant continue with these current hybrid engines and need to go back to V8's.

tangodjango

waynes wrote:
02 Oct 2020, 11:30
surely F1 cant continue with these current hybrid engines and need to go back to V8's.
I agree this hybrid tomfoolery has to end. V8/V6 with small battery and kers/MGU-K. I really wish Honda had stayed still 2025 given the restrictions in development. Massive blow for the sport. Can see Newey leaving RBR/F1 for good now. Also leaves open the undesirable possibility of Mercedes dominating from 2022 onwards too given their present considerable advantage.
“Hamilton’s talent is perhaps even more than that of Ayrton or Schumacher or Fernando." - Rubens Barrichello

mem

thats great nwes Honda just slapped FIA face for being Mercedes whores , how can any one compete with the current utter dominance of Mercedes , FIA didn't do any thing to end this farce , so what the point continuing like that