Honda leaving F1.

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
tangodjango

Re: Honda leaving F1.

sennafan68 wrote:
02 Oct 2020, 11:24
Just_a_fan wrote:
02 Oct 2020, 11:00
AMG.Tzan wrote:
02 Oct 2020, 10:59
Maybe it's time for Red Bull to build their own engines! How?

Engine development is going to get more and more freezed by 2022 onwards...so what if they kept Honda's engines from 2021 onwards...bring in Mario Illien or Andy Cowell to keep them running and rebadge them??

Farfetched i know...
Buying Honda's PU and then developing it might not be the worst idea in the world. They've got 18 months to put together a team of engineers.

Why not?

Actually not a bad ideal at all. I can imagine the Honda personnel could easily be tempted to join them too ! The thought of a future working on electric cars etc will be all the incentive they need to leave...
Problem is bringing/replicating tooling and resources from Sakura to England where the Honda factory is. If they could do that with a one off investment from Red Bull to upgrade the factory then it might work out. Still very far fetched as they have zero incentive to do so being an energy drinks manufacturer. Even if they manufactured road cars like McLaren and Aston Martin it would be iffy due to the push towards electrification and battery technologies.
“Hamilton’s talent is perhaps even more than that of Ayrton or Schumacher or Fernando." - Rubens Barrichello

jjn9128

NathanOlder wrote:
02 Oct 2020, 11:29
Couldn't help myself sorry. :lol:
Not sure why you were downvoted for that, I thought it was funny. Maybe because Renault engines are based in Viry-Châtillon rather than Enstone someone was offended :lol:
#aerogandalf
"There is one big friend. It is downforce. And once you have this it’s a big mate and it’s helping a lot." Robert Kubica

DChemTech

sennafan68 wrote:
02 Oct 2020, 11:24
Just_a_fan wrote:
02 Oct 2020, 11:00
AMG.Tzan wrote:
02 Oct 2020, 10:59
Maybe it's time for Red Bull to build their own engines! How?

Engine development is going to get more and more freezed by 2022 onwards...so what if they kept Honda's engines from 2021 onwards...bring in Mario Illien or Andy Cowell to keep them running and rebadge them??

Farfetched i know...
Buying Honda's PU and then developing it might not be the worst idea in the world. They've got 18 months to put together a team of engineers.

Why not?

Actually not a bad ideal at all. I can imagine the Honda personnel could easily be tempted to join them too ! The thought of a future working on electric cars etc will be all the incentive they need to leave...
Do you really think that "working on electric cars" would be an incentive for good engineers to leave? I'd chose working on a future-relevant upcoming technology over squeezing the last out of a technological dinosaur any day of the week...

Just_a_fan

El Scorchio wrote:
02 Oct 2020, 11:04
Would RBR even WANT a Ferrari engine. given how underpowered it seems at the moment?
It would give a nice excuse rather than having to blame their own bits such as the chassis and aero... :wink:
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

djos

Restomaniac wrote:
02 Oct 2020, 10:20
Looking at it. It’s going to be a situation where Renault are forced to supply. However you can be certain RedBull will just get given the engines with no input allowed.
it's got to be good for Renault, they now have 2 customers to help with dev costs and if RBR produces a podium level car they'll be RBR Renaults this time, instead of the RBR Infiniti rubbish from last time which was good for no one but RBR.
"In downforce we trust"

NathanOlder

jjn9128 wrote:
02 Oct 2020, 11:52
NathanOlder wrote:
02 Oct 2020, 11:29
Couldn't help myself sorry. :lol:
Not sure why you were downvoted for that, I thought it was funny. Maybe because Renault engines are based in Viry-Châtillon rather than Enstone someone was offended :lol:
I did think that when I made the pic quickly but thought its not too important. Maybe I could argue that you are more likely to find Cyril at the Enstone HQ's ? Who knows :lol:
But yeah, maybe Mr Horner downvoted ?
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

El Scorchio

djos wrote:
02 Oct 2020, 12:10
Restomaniac wrote:
02 Oct 2020, 10:20
Looking at it. It’s going to be a situation where Renault are forced to supply. However you can be certain RedBull will just get given the engines with no input allowed.
it's got to be good for Renault, they now have 2 customers to help with dev costs and if RBR produces a podium level car they'll be RBR Renaults this time, instead of the RBR Infiniti rubbish from last time which was good for no one but RBR.
Also if they have to arbitrarily supply RBR then they can just give them the bare minimum required in terms of support and co-operation. They owe them no favours whatsoever after the way Horner and Marko absolutely (disgracefully) dragged their name through the mud in public during the last few years of their relationship before gloating about going with a 'better' engine. Not that I want the sport to be less competitive going forward, but I'm hoping those two feel the consequences of the words they spoke in the past. Would amuse me if the RBR owners decided they needed to replace them both in the interests of starting a relationship afresh with no bad blood.

coaster

Stay please Honda, keyboard warriors may berate, but this is a small handful of people.

djos

Honda said they are leaving due to F1 engine technology being a mismatch with their BEV and HEV future.

Keyboard Warriors have nothing to do with it.
"In downforce we trust"

Thunder18

Honda are an independent company, publicly shared or not, they don't coerce governments nor "play the game". When they look like they're going to lose big money they stop and switch things elsewhere, very cutthroat, just look at the Swindon factory. They're aslo too worried about shareholders and investors. The bean counters at play!!

The largest engine manufacturer with the small reputation, run away with your tail between your legs....

henry

MtthsMlw wrote:
02 Oct 2020, 10:22
So will they reveal all their details of their PU? Hope so.
Silver lining? They published a lot about the development work they’d done in the year prior to leaving last time so they may well do so.

To my mind Honda have been the most open of the manufacturers and have provided information, mainly through Japanese journals, that has allowed some very interesting insights into the working of these PUs.
Fortune favours the prepared; she has no favourites and takes no sides.
Truth is confirmed by inspection and delay; falsehood by haste and uncertainty : Tacitus

bucker

What is funny is that Eddie did not predict it.

FrukostScones

Can't understand the childish comments here. Certainly not good for F1. But also certainly no problem for Red Bull to get a PU . Even a Renault.
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

Raleigh

Ramifications are significant considering Renault's long term commitment is also in doubt, could well end up with Ferrari and Mercedes supplying the whole grid.

Really disappointed that Red Bull and Honda could not make the alliance work.

NathanOlder

Raleigh wrote:
02 Oct 2020, 13:19
Ramifications are significant considering Renault's long term commitment is also in doubt, could well end up with Ferrari and Mercedes supplying the whole grid.

Really disappointed that Red Bull and Honda could not make the alliance work.
Yeah, the complexity of these power units is really taking its toll now. A return to some naturally aspirated V10's is in order I believe [-o<
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC