Renault Power Unit Hardware & Software

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
El Scorchio

Re: Renault Power Unit Hardware & Software

Big Tea wrote:
03 Oct 2020, 11:45
El Scorchio wrote:
03 Oct 2020, 11:22
Sieper wrote:
03 Oct 2020, 11:19

What Renault delivered those days was inexcusable. No other team would have accepted that. Now finally things are better.
But you keep it in house and try to go forward together. Not try to publicly shame them. Very unprofessional. They’ll start going after Honda now.
That depends on the response you get to the complaints. If its 'Ah, yes, we will look at getting this fixed', you do.
If its 'too bad, that is what it is, go away', the only option is to make it public. Not before exhaustion of other options of course
Yes, quite possibly and there are two sides to every story and Renault are no angels, but it just seems like it’s Horner and Marko’s modus operandi to make an unseemly public fuss about anything they don’t like. It’s not like it’s the only time they’ve done things like this and let’s face it they went to some lengths to call out Renault at every opportunity even after signing with Honda. I just find it a bit vulgar to be honest and it’s not a way I like seeing business being done.

Anyway just my opinion!

Big Tea

El Scorchio wrote:
03 Oct 2020, 11:58
Big Tea wrote:
03 Oct 2020, 11:45
El Scorchio wrote:

But you keep it in house and try to go forward together. Not try to publicly shame them. Very unprofessional. They’ll start going after Honda now.
That depends on the response you get to the complaints. If its 'Ah, yes, we will look at getting this fixed', you do.
If its 'too bad, that is what it is, go away', the only option is to make it public. Not before exhaustion of other options of course
Yes, quite possibly and there are two sides to every story and Renault are no angels, but it just seems like it’s Horner and Marko’s modus operandi to make an unseemly public fuss about anything they don’t like. It’s not like it’s the only time they’ve done things like this and let’s face it they went to some lengths to call out Renault at every opportunity even after signing with Honda. I just find it a bit vulgar to be honest and it’s not a way I like seeing business being done.

Anyway just my opinion!
Which is worth as much as anyone's
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

djos

The funny part to me in all of this, is Daniel left RBR for Renault despite the mechanical issues he had in his final season there.

Clearly he thought the Renault PU was decent.
"In downforce we trust"

Edax

djos wrote:
02 Oct 2020, 12:07
Well, this should help Renault justify their PU dev efforts. Should be interesting to see how Red Bull conducts itself in their second stint as a Renault customer.

https://www.f1technical.net/news/22849
Net income of Renault was -7.4 billion over the first half of 2020. Sales were down 34%

I have no doubt that in the headquarters of Renault the same discussions are going on as just have been concluded at Honda. And I doubt that the outcome will be different. Certainly considering the anti F1 sentiment in the current Renault boardroom.

At the moment it is more likely that Cyril will be asking RB for a F1 job, than RB asking Renault for an engine in two years.

In the end it doesn’t matter. For those who see the current situation as a vindication for past grievances they may have felt. Think again, current situation is just very bad for the series as a whole.

No manufacturer can afford to dump 100million+ in developing engine technology which will be banned in a lot of countries by 2030. In good times it would be a stretch, in current times it is madness.

F1 needs to sort out the engine situation fast.

djos

I agree with your last comment, however Renault really has nothing to loose and everything to gain by having RBR and AT as customers.

They can use the funds to subside their dev costs and force the red Bull group to use Renault or Alpine as their engine supplier name. Win win in my book.
"In downforce we trust"

Sieper

El Scorchio wrote:
Sieper wrote:
03 Oct 2020, 11:19
El Scorchio wrote:
03 Oct 2020, 10:41

Zero excuse for the way RBR publicly behaved. You win together and you lose together. You don’t just openly slag off your engine supplier when the going gets tough.
What Renault delivered those days was inexcusable. No other team would have accepted that. Now finally things are better.
You sound like you have a personal beef. I strongly oppose your statements.

epo
epo

Really there is zero reason for RB to get a Renault engine. It’s simply not good enough and Abitboul his politics are awful.

SmallSoldier

epo wrote:Really there is zero reason for RB to get a Renault engine. It’s simply not good enough and Abitboul his politics are awful.
Zero reason?

One BIG reason... That’s probably the only engine they will be able to run in 2022, so regardless of how awful Cyril could (I would argue that Red Bull’s politics are worst than Renault’s) or if the engine isn’t good enough, if they want to race, they most probably will have to get them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Big Tea

Despite us having a talking shop here, Red Bull and Renault are professional businesses and will act in a businesslike manor.

We need an engine, what is available- looks like just the Renault. - OK we need it, get it.

But we had problems with them before and fell out, it will be embarrassing to go back.

ITS YOUR JOB, DO IT OR I WILL REPLACE YOU. Erm, ok then

Knock knock,

Who is it?

Erm, Cyril, its Chris. We need an engine.

OK, it will cost you this much, cough up ( that will look nice on the balance sheet :mrgreen: )

nzjrs

Big Tea wrote:
03 Oct 2020, 20:13
OK, it will cost you this much, cough up ( that will look nice on the balance sheet :mrgreen: )
Id put it another way, it's pretty boring. The regulations force Renault (or the supplier with the least customers) to supply, while also capping the PU cost at 13mil (from memory).

I don't think that amount of money makes much difference to the total cost of PU development, which reminds us again how precarious the situation in F1 is right now.

I think the personal vendetta infused reimagining of history is like those people that write romantic inspired fanfiction and post it online.

Big Tea

nzjrs wrote:
03 Oct 2020, 20:25
Big Tea wrote:
Id put it another way, it's pretty boring. The regulations force Renault (or the supplier with the least customers) to supply, while also capping the PU cost at 13mil (from memory).

I don't think that amount of money makes much difference to the total cost of PU development, which reminds us again how precarious the situation in F1 is right now.

I think the personal vendetta infused reimagining of history is like those people that write romantic inspired fanfiction and post it online.
But development cost go to Renault. 4 engines on the plus side of the page makes it look better for Cyril and his crew.
back at base, 40 million would balance our quite a lot in the board room.

NL_Fer

Renault is powerfull, reliable, the second unit behind Merc.
Renault needs to save money, because of corona revenue slump.

It is a no brainer.

toraabe

epo wrote:
02 Oct 2020, 19:14
toraabe wrote:
02 Oct 2020, 18:34
djos wrote:
Well, this should help Renault justify their PU dev efforts. Should be interesting to see how Red Bull conducts itself in their second stint as a Renault customer.

Red Bull should beg on their knees. The way Renaulr were treated in media is just horrible. At least they have to dig deep in their pockets unless they are buying the entire f1 engine design from Honda...
They were treated like they should be treated, --- engine, --- manager, --- reliability. Pretty sure they won't go back. You better leave then take a Renault engine again.
Mc Laren treated them well, gave them constructive feedback, so last and this year their engine is good enough for podium if put in a good chassis.

subcritical71

Big Tea wrote:
Despite us having a talking shop here, Red Bull and Renault are professional businesses and will act in a businesslike manor.

We need an engine, what is available- looks like just the Renault. - OK we need it, get it.

But we had problems with them before and fell out, it will be embarrassing to go back.

ITS YOUR JOB, DO IT OR I WILL REPLACE YOU. Erm, ok then

Knock knock,

Who is it?

Erm, Cyril, its Chris. We need an engine.

While I agree, can Renault include a few clauses in their contract which will preclude any public criticism(?) Can they specify financial penalties?

Blackout

Edax wrote:
03 Oct 2020, 12:06
djos wrote:

Net income of Renault was -7.4 billion over the first half of 2020. Sales were down 34%

I have no doubt that in the headquarters of Renault the same discussions are going on as just have been concluded at Honda. And I doubt that the outcome will be different. Certainly considering the anti F1 sentiment in the current Renault boardroom.

At the moment it is more likely that Cyril will be asking RB for a F1 job, than RB asking Renault for an engine in two years.

In the end it doesn’t matter. For those who see the current situation as a vindication for past grievances they may have felt. Think again, current situation is just very bad for the series as a whole.

No manufacturer can afford to dump 100million+ in developing engine technology which will be banned in a lot of countries by 2030. In good times it would be a stretch, in current times it is madness.

F1 needs to sort out the engine situation fast.
Viry is in a much better shape than Honda in f1.
-they are still in f1. Honda is quitting.
-their 2020 PU is atleast as powerfull and is more reliable
-the new cost-reduction rules suit them², especially the dyno testing limits because they were 'always' inside those limits. (unlike Honda and the other two)
-they spent much less money
-Viry is still improving and has plenty of room for that at its fingertips (a fully new PU in 2021-2022 and it's almost ready)
They still have momentum.

Outside F1, IDK who is doing better, but the situation is precarious indeed... however there are positive signs for Renault.
Last edited by Blackout on 06 Oct 2020, 09:20, edited 1 time in total.