2020 Eifel Grand Prix - Nürburgring, October 9-11

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Sieper

Re: 2020 Eifel Grand Prix - Nürburgring, October 9-11

jz11 wrote:
11 Oct 2020, 16:12
Schuttelberg wrote:
11 Oct 2020, 15:53
It's amazing how Hamilton was able to put 5 seconds between himself and Max twice within 10 laps but the gap never exceeded 1.5 while Bottas was leading.
might be due to weight difference affecting the cars differently, maybe RB is better on full tanks, and remember they also tried to nurture those softs to be able to make the 1stop work, all 3 of them, Bottas, Ham and Max

on top of that, Max drives very maturely this season and he didn't really have any chance of overtaking Hamilton at the end, really struggled right after the restart and once the tires started to warm up and he was already 1,6-2sec behind Hamilton and Ricci wasn't getting close to him, he also went into conservation mode and just brought the car home with best result possible

that being said, Hamilton seems to be over all better at handling these tires than Bottas, especially once he's in the lead, it is basically game over for the rest, Bottas - not so much
The Merc is still the faster car, especially after a VSC as they have more heat left in their front tires due to DAS. All the better Max took fastest lap anyway. Was very close in qualy too. Just very good driving and hopefully they can come closer. Allthough Max already said they can’t be expected to win a race this season anymore.

Sieper

zibby43 wrote:
11 Oct 2020, 16:32
Schuttelberg wrote:
11 Oct 2020, 16:18
jz11 wrote:
11 Oct 2020, 16:12

might be due to weight difference affecting the cars differently, maybe RB is better on full tanks, and remember they also tried to nurture those softs to be able to make the 1stop work, all 3 of them, Bottas, Ham and Max

on top of that, Max drives very maturely this season and he didn't really have any chance of overtaking Hamilton at the end, really struggled right after the restart and once the tires started to warm up and he was already 1,6-2sec behind Hamilton and Ricci wasn't getting close to him, he also went into conservation mode and just brought the car home with best result possible

that being said, Hamilton seems to be over all better at handling these tires than Bottas, especially once he's in the lead, it is basically game over for the rest, Bottas - not so much
May be, just may be, Bottas is crap. I feel Verstappen would have got him today regardless of the DNF. Max is 14 points within him with all sorts of DNF's.
Bottas has had at least 2 DNFs/non-classifications, including today and the Silverstone puncture (P11).
Bottas had one DNF, today. Max 3, all 4 (today Bottas and Max all 3) due to technical issues. Bottas finished 11th in Silverstone due to a tire mismanagement by them. That is not a DNF but a risk they took.

Restomaniac
Restomaniac

Albon’s retirement is still rather odd to me. No mention of it over team radio (Liberty never fail to use such messages). Just in the pits and gone.

RZS10

He just gave up on life

Sieper

Restomaniac wrote:
11 Oct 2020, 16:39
Albon’s retirement is still rather odd to me. No mention of it over team radio (Liberty never fail to use such messages). Just in the pits and gone.
I think I heared him report engine misfires earlier this weekend. Race was lost anyway, not much tires left. Save the engine. I think Albon will be replaced next season.

Restomaniac
Restomaniac

Sieper wrote:
11 Oct 2020, 16:42
Restomaniac wrote:
I think I heared him report engine misfires earlier this weekend. Race was lost anyway, not much tires left. Save the engine. I think Albon will be replaced next season.
It’s still rather odd how it happened. As for your last comment I agree.

PlatinumZealot

djones wrote:
11 Oct 2020, 15:23
Ah yes - the now classic entertainment safety car.
It's becoming the Massi (Messy) trademark now.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Shrieker

Hulk as many top eights as Seb. Ouch.
Education is that which allows a nation free, independent, reputable life, and function as a high society; or it condemns it to captivity and poverty.
-Atatürk

Sieper

Restomaniac wrote:
11 Oct 2020, 16:46
Sieper wrote:
11 Oct 2020, 16:42
Restomaniac wrote:
It’s still rather odd how it happened. As for your last comment I agree.
I think it will be Hulkenberg. He also had a small slip of the tongue this weekend. Asked if he was happy to race Nürburg ring he said very much would have been a shame to miss it in the one year you don’t have a seat.

PlatinumZealot

Doesn't mean Hulk has a seat for next year though.

Anyway, impressive from him to just jump in the car and produce a respectable weekend result. He didn't start off comfortably but as the laps wore on he really built up his confidence. You could be forgiven for thinking he was there the whole season. Good job Hulkenburg. This is more than enough to win a seat for 2021 I hope.
Last edited by PlatinumZealot on 11 Oct 2020, 16:58, edited 1 time in total.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Restomaniac
Restomaniac

There was an interesting comment Mid race from Mr Brundle. When talking about Hulkenberg and the free RedBull seat. I assume that means that he has heard to Albon is going?

Restomaniac
Restomaniac

PlatinumZealot wrote:
11 Oct 2020, 16:56
Doesn't mean he has a seat for next year though.
True but Martin Brundle hinted about Hulkenberg and the RedBull seat too.

PlatinumZealot

Restomaniac wrote:
11 Oct 2020, 16:58
PlatinumZealot wrote:
11 Oct 2020, 16:56
Doesn't mean he has a seat for next year though.
True but Martin Brundle hinted about Hulkenberg and the RedBull seat too.
Brundle knows about as much as we do. Hulk Perez has been the talk. It would be unprecedented for RB to hire out of their programme. It would bring the programme into disrepute.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Big Tea

214270 wrote:
11 Oct 2020, 14:49
ALB is wreckless
Nah, he has had loads of wrecks.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

Racer X

cplchanb wrote:
11 Oct 2020, 16:30
Racer X wrote:
11 Oct 2020, 15:23
Full safety car might save Ricciardo with Perez on old tires now.
Honestly... wth... why is SC nec when the gap is right there and its actually FOR a car??!!
VSC or even double yellows is more than enough... masi fail again!

Well yeah it gave Ricciardo the podium.

I wanted to see the tire management of Perez.

But it's fine in the end of it all it's a lucky podium for either of them.

Because Bottas had issues it's not like they earned 3rd place. Neither of Norris Perez or Ricciardo we're actually earning the podium.

So it's not that big a deal who got 3rd place in my opinion.....

It's just funny to me because in my opinion.

Norris would have been fighting Pérez.

But both would have been ahead of Ricciardo because Ricciardo was losing his tires.

That safety car gave Ricciardo the podium.

They had deployed the VIRTUAL safety car earlier in the exact same situation.

I think they did that to spice up the race not for safety reasons.

I think they wanted to see Hamilton and Max have a fight. Which they didn't really because the Redbull in Max's hands is fast but not in the hands of Albon. But The car's are not equal to Mercedes the only reason Redbull is catching up to Mercedes is because of Max. Their car is slower.

I don't really care for 3rd when it's a lucky podium.

I always keep in mind luck.

The moment Bottas had a DNF.

3rd place was all luck to who ever.

It's sad to see it affected by a decision that the FIA made.

But who cares anyway.

For me it just stands out that Max is an amazing driver Hamilton as well.

The Mercedes is an amazing car. But Albon needs to be replaced he's just so dam slow.
RedBull Racing Checo//PEREZ