[MVRC] Mantium Virtual Racecar Challenge 2020 (Grand Prix Cars)

Post here information about your own engineering projects, including but not limited to building your own car or designing a virtual car through CAD.
MaccaRacing

Re: [MVRC] Mantium Virtual Racecar Challenge 2020 (Grand Prix Cars)

Big news for you all! I don't know if you already knew it, but I discovered CFDDFC (CFD Direct From Cloud)!
Thanks to Microsoft Azure I am able to run a virtual machine (much faster than my pc) with openfoam already installed! Azure is free to register and gives you 170€ of credit to start play with it.
Now I am running the first simulation... let's see how it will end, but for now I can tell you that it is 7sec against 19sec for one step (fast template.. I know, my pc is really really bad..)

CAEdevice

MaccaRacing wrote:
03 Oct 2020, 09:08
Big news for you all! I don't know if you already knew it, but I discovered CFDDFC (CFD Direct From Cloud)!
Thanks to Microsoft Azure I am able to run a virtual machine (much faster than my pc) with openfoam already installed! Azure is free to register and gives you 170€ of credit to start play with it.
Now I am running the first simulation... let's see how it will end, but for now I can tell you that it is 7sec against 19sec for one step (fast template.. I know, my pc is really really bad..)
Cool! How does it works? I also tested Kaleidosim, but with a simplified case folder written by me, I could not use the original MFlow one (probably my fault).

MaccaRacing

Basically you have to follow this guide and you will be able to create a virtual machine on azure.

https://cfd.direct/cloud/azure/

Then I have used a software called WinSCP to transfer the cases written by mantium flow for bluecfd in Windows, and then edited somewhere to let them run on Linux openfoam instead (if you are interested you can send me a message).

CAEdevice

Thanks, I guess that working with MFlow for Linux I would not need to edit the case. WinSCP is the ftp client (I use Filezilla instead), Am I right?

CAEdevice

MaccaRacing wrote:
03 Oct 2020, 17:07
You are right!
Thanks! I was thinking about a different kind of sponsorship next year, providing some hours of free computing on this platform. But I have to try it first. What do you think about it, LDVH?

LVDH

CAEdevice wrote:
03 Oct 2020, 17:09
MaccaRacing wrote:
You are right!
Thanks! I was thinking about a different kind of sponsorship next year, providing some hours of free computing on this platform. But I have to try it first. What do you think about it, LDVH?
There is a connector to the cloud coming soon. If you, for now, want to work with other existing solutions, that is fine with me, I can support it to an extent. With what you have now, I think, you should just force MFlow to prepare for Linux and then run on a platform of your choice.
More exciting news (very much in my opinion as developer) is this:
https://tech.slashdot.org/story/20/10/0 ... fect-sense
If this comes true, I will have much more time to implement useful features into MFlow instead of just fixing crazy bugs and issues.

CAEdevice

LVDH wrote:
05 Oct 2020, 15:58
CAEdevice wrote:
03 Oct 2020, 17:09
MaccaRacing wrote:
You are right!
There is a connector to the cloud coming soon. If you, for now, want to work with other existing solutions, that is fine with me, I can support it to an extent. With what you have now, I think, you should just force MFlow to prepare for Linux and then run on a platform of your choice.
More exciting news (very much in my opinion as developer) is this:
https://tech.slashdot.org/story/20/10/0 ... fect-sense
If this comes true, I will have much more time to implement useful features into MFlow instead of just fixing crazy bugs and issues.
I am planning this kind of sponsorship for 2021 challenge, so I can support any of the cloud services (it depends on their cost :) ).

This year I am going to print a 3d model (or two, since last year winner is still waiting: the geometry is almost complete).

About "Lindows": would it be another Linux desktop environment? If they integrate all windows graphic libraries it might be interesting, but, if CAD software would be directly released for Linux (as it happened in the past with Creo/ProE Wildfire) it would be much better: no need to keep Windows alive except for 3D CAD in my opinion.

k.ko100v

I've submitted the Japanese contender last night and I am pretty happy with the development so far. It can be followed in the gif bellow.

Here is the car for the next race:

Last edited by k.ko100v on 19 Oct 2020, 15:29, edited 1 time in total.

variante

It looks very good, and very well refined!
Is the Ferrari style front wing helping you with drag? or rear downforce maybe?

k.ko100v

variante wrote:
12 Oct 2020, 14:57
It looks very good, and very well refined!
Is the Ferrari style front wing helping you with drag? or rear downforce maybe?
Edited

Thanks.
The first intention was to reduce the drag for the Monza race. But I found that, it provides better outwash, which reflected for better RW and floor efficiency. I was pretty much surprised that I had to add more and more front wing downforce in order to balance that tiny RW.
In terms of drag, it seems that it is not so good. The main surface reduction is in front of the front tires, which are draggy as hell. The FW drag is reduced, but this is not reflecting to the overall DRAG* of the car.
This are my observations so far. It will be good if someone else confirms them :)
Last edited by k.ko100v on 12 Oct 2020, 18:25, edited 1 time in total.

variante

I've finally updated the car. Quite necessary at this point...

It seems like higher downforce for the same efficiency allows for a better laptime on Suzuka (for my car configuration), so i loaded the wings not far off from their maximum.
Since a (even slightly) more loaded Front Wing strongly worsens the Rear Wing performance, i increased the size of the Cascades and used Gurney Flaps to compensate and restore the balance.
I also played with rake and refined a couple of winglets.

Despite my efforts, i couldn't do much more, as this car seems to be sitting on a precarious balance. The first place is still my target, but i can't be too confident about that...

variante

k.ko100v wrote:
12 Oct 2020, 15:17
I was pretty much surprised that I had to add more and more front wing downforce in order to balance that tiny RW.
Well, this sounds very promising. I wish i could say the same.
Your observations sound reasonable. But, unlike you and CAEdevice, i had a hard time with that kind of wing. I should probably test it a little more, in the future.

k.ko100v

variante wrote:
12 Oct 2020, 15:27
k.ko100v wrote:
12 Oct 2020, 15:17
I was pretty much surprised that I had to add more and more front wing downforce in order to balance that tiny RW.
Well, this sounds very promising. I wish i could say the same.
:D :D :D

I am god damn sure that my levels of down-force are far away. Man, your car is stunning.

LVDH

variante wrote:
12 Oct 2020, 15:22
I've finally updated the car. Quite necessary at this point...

It seems like higher downforce for the same efficiency allows for a better laptime on Suzuka (for my car configuration), so i loaded the wings not far off from their maximum.
Since a (even slightly) more loaded Front Wing strongly worsens the Rear Wing performance, i increased the size of the Cascades and used Gurney Flaps to compensate and restore the balance.
I also played with rake and refined a couple of winglets.

Despite my efforts, i couldn't do much more, as this car seems to be sitting on a precarious balance. The first place is still my target, but i can't be too confident about that...

https://i.imgur.com/HcK9ybG.jpg
Once more a super cool car. Although according to the submitted lap times, Talno will be the clear winner of the race, with a gap of almost 30 seconds. I assume something went wrong here. Although there has been no need for the qualifying format so far this year, please all take care of submitting a realistic time, as the day when this rules comes into action will happen some day.
Here are the other cars:
It is always quite amazing to see the creativity of PurePowerRacing. Every car is always very different.
The better resolution images on the challenge page are coming up in the next few minutes.