Is Portimao the track with the least number of corners on the F1 calendar?

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
El Scorchio

Re: Is Portimao the track with the least number of corners on the F1 calendar?

PlatinumZealot wrote:
21 Sep 2020, 00:31
Track has a lot of sharp dips. I forsee a lot of setup problems.
How deep? \:D/

BrunoH

i wold rather have Estoril circuit ( they have made this year a brand new surface... plus its a true purist racetrack ) Portimao i have driven there also, and i dont like it as much.. for setup testing, its a track that is not good for testing ( as there is nothing similar and its up and down all the time). for racing you have like 2 overtaking spots.. in f1 i dont know if turn 1 will be so maybe only 1 after the downhill and then inside turn left ( in the inside straight) the rest only if a driver makes a mistake and goes wide or something...

godlameroso

Turn one is definitely an overtaking opportunity because they'll be piling on wing to go fast. The slip stream will be pretty strong, considering how early you can get on the power, the final corner is easy flat.

IMO, both Estoril and Portimao are made for motorcycles rather than cars. That said, in an F1 car this track is much more enjoyable to drive than Estoril, with it's painfully slow awkward and technical corners. This is more of a rollercoaster, it requires manliness and precision.

One thing is certain, DAS will be pretty useless around here, there's no DAS for the rear left tyre. One stop race, pretty easy if you can manage the rear left wear.
Saishū kōnā

PlatinumZealot

What temperatures can be expected there at this time of year? U said DAS wont be handy.... But... Maybe... If we get some safety cars again..
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Mogster

PlatinumZealot wrote:
17 Oct 2020, 01:18
What temperatures can be expected there at this time of year? U said DAS wont be handy.... But... Maybe... If we get some safety cars again..
20°C. It’s pretty much useable all year round.

godlameroso

PlatinumZealot wrote:
17 Oct 2020, 01:18
That rear left takes a beating, a serious pounding going around the final corner, it's flat, the hard corners are all right handers that stress the rear lefts on exit. After that long final turn, you're basically 4 wheel drifting out of turn 1 doubly so if you can't manage the tire temperature. DAS will do nothing to help you there. Mercedes has a very balanced car and a strong engine, maybe they can get away with some understeer. Otherwise we'll see drivers have small lifts out of the final corner to save the tires.
Saishū kōnā

Mogster

BrunoH wrote:
16 Oct 2020, 18:14
i wold rather have Estoril circuit ( they have made this year a brand new surface... plus its a true purist racetrack ) Portimao i have driven there also, and i dont like it as much.. for setup testing, its a track that is not good for testing ( as there is nothing similar and its up and down all the time). for racing you have like 2 overtaking spots.. in f1 i dont know if turn 1 will be so maybe only 1 after the downhill and then inside turn left ( in the inside straight) the rest only if a driver makes a mistake and goes wide or something...
Estoril = Barcelona

I agree about Portimao for testing purposes, like Mugello it’s not really representative of any other venues. As a race track at least with the elevation changes and blind corners Portimao brings something very different. Driving Portimao on the PC I find it challenging and that view seems to carry over to the real world. However with the extensive paved run offs I feel the challenge is neutered somewhat.

BrunoH

yeah, more or less, i still prefer Estoril, have driven in both in gt cars... in Estoril you get your foot wrong and you pay for it.. portimao has huge run-off areas, so you can risk more with less danger of damage or loosing places. to be fair in estoril you got 3 good overtaking places. Turn 1, turn 3, and inside parabolica. so a bit better than portimao to be fair

NathanOlder

So after seeing the Charles Leclerc run in Assetto Corsa, the car in the video uses the brakes for 9 corners using the circuit map.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

Mogster

BrunoH wrote:
18 Oct 2020, 14:25
yeah, more or less, i still prefer Estoril, have driven in both in gt cars... in Estoril you get your foot wrong and you pay for it.. portimao has huge run-off areas, so you can risk more with less danger of damage or loosing places. to be fair in estoril you got 3 good overtaking places. Turn 1, turn 3, and inside parabolica. so a bit better than portimao to be fair
Portimao is a bit car parky I agree, but it is what it is. I’m looking forward to Imola next week as an antidote. I do think Portimao will look good on TV though and brings something different, as with Mugello the discussions about Portimao and F1 have been going on for years. It’ll be good to see it happen, if only this once.

PlatinumZealot

I find imola very boring from Assetto corsa . Compared to say Mugello it is very flat and narrow.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Mogster

Imola flat? I agree it is narrow though.

Each to their own, I love Imola, the scanned AC version is fantastic. The run uphill from Tosa to the crest at Piratella then downhill to the Acque Minerale has to be one of the greatest sections of track in the world. Getting rid of the Bassa chicane has given the track some of its old high speed flavour back. Watching the 2020 cars changing direction through the Tamburello and Villeneuve chicanes will be a sight to behold.

godlameroso

Mogster wrote:
20 Oct 2020, 17:57
Imola flat? I agree it is narrow though.

Each to their own, I love Imola, the scanned AC version is fantastic. The run uphill from Tosa to the crest at Piratella then downhill to the Acque Minerale has to be one of the greatest sections of track in the world. Getting rid of the Bassa chicane has given the track some of its old high speed flavour back. Watching the 2020 cars changing direction through the Tamburello and Villeneuve chicanes will be a sight to behold.
How do you feel about the lack of the final chicane that used to be there?
Saishū kōnā

Mogster

Bassa,the one near the pits? I’m glad it’s gone, I think it’s given the track some of its old high speed flavour back, the snaking run from the last corner to Tamburello is very long now. The AC version is one of my favourite sim tracks.

NathanOlder

Yeah I agree with Mogster, The Variante Bassa was just an inconvenience. Didn't help overtaking, was just there to slow cars down. Better without it.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC