Mercedes W11

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
PlatinumZealot

Re: Mercedes W11

The Mercedes' low rake concept will serve it well next year.

DAS will be missed, hoewever Merc should still have the edge. I dare say they will be even faster next year.

By cutting back the floor there is an opportunity to squeeze an new vortex or bend the exting on running in front if the rear wheels along the cut in the floor. Floor area is lost, and thus less distance from pressure peak to edge of floor, but i see some new device being invented to counteract this. Floor slats are banned so vortices will be a little more destabilized. Looking forward to the engineering solutions to be invented.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

PhillipM

Honestly I can still see a way to use DAS in the regs, albeit it would be a heavier/more limited setup to work with the wording, which might negate the point

zibby43

PhillipM wrote:
18 Oct 2020, 12:57
Honestly I can still see a way to use DAS in the regs, albeit it would be a heavier/more limited setup to work with the wording, which might negate the point
Feel free to elaborate. You have piqued my curiosity.

On a side note, when they do lose DAS, they're going to pick up performance from weight savings and the ability to play with ballast more.

M840TR

zibby43 wrote:
18 Oct 2020, 23:13
PhillipM wrote:
18 Oct 2020, 12:57
Feel free to elaborate. You have piqued my curiosity.

On a side note, when they do lose DAS, they're going to pick up performance from weight savings and the ability to play with ballast more.
I reckon they might opt for more adventurous alternatives to ballast options as a result of lesser weight, akin to the new rear suspension that required some strengthening with some weight penalty.

SiLo

I'm sure it's been mentioned before, but I only just realised this myself.

DAS allows Mercedes to heat up the front tyres irrespective of the rears. Most other forms of heating but energy into all of them; breaking, weaving etc. Now they can heat the rears with burnouts, and the fronts with DAS to properly tune the car.

it's not just about getting MORE heat into the tyres or making it easier, its about that control they get over which tyres get the heat.
Felipe Baby!

godlameroso

Do burnouts heat the tire carcass or just the surface?
Saishū kōnā

OO7
OO7

SiLo wrote:
19 Oct 2020, 12:14

DAS allows Mercedes to heat up the front tyres irrespective of the rears. Most other forms of heating but energy into all of them; breaking, weaving etc. Now they can heat the rears with burnouts, and the fronts with DAS to properly tune the car.

it's not just about getting MORE heat into the tyres or making it easier, its about that control they get over which tyres get the heat.
DAS allows for a great temperature differential to be generated between the front and rear, however altering the brake bias has the same effect to a lesser degree (I think).

SiLo

OO7 wrote:
21 Oct 2020, 02:50
SiLo wrote:

DAS allows for a great temperature differential to be generated between the front and rear, however altering the brake bias has the same effect to a lesser degree (I think).
I think the difference would still be quite large. Braking puts energy into all the tyres unless you go really far forwards on the brake balance and then you risk locking and damaging the tyre.
Felipe Baby!

Big Tea

OO7 wrote:
SiLo wrote:

Can you still 'light up' the rears now, or is it all controlled? Not suggesting T/C of course, I mean no one would do that would they? :roll:

I just seem to recall someone saying they can not do donuts (to face the right way) these days. May have been Seb
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

e30ernest

Big Tea wrote:
21 Oct 2020, 12:09
OO7 wrote:
SiLo wrote:

Can you still 'light up' the rears now, or is it all controlled? Not suggesting T/C of course, I mean no one would do that would they? :roll:

I just seem to recall someone saying they can not do donuts (to face the right way) these days. May have been Seb
I think the difference with donuts is that you'd be dropping the clutch so you put more strain (shock) into the drivetrain. Doing burnouts on high horse engines like these is just a matter of flooring the throttle to break traction. Because of that the torque applied to the drive train would be no more than what its max load would be at full acceleration (maybe even less).

DarthPlagueisTheVise

Merc experimenting or is das just not useful enough for them anymore?Image

Last edited by DarthPlagueisTheVise on 22 Oct 2020, 19:05, edited 2 times in total.
Technical Noob

Morteza

"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

Morteza

Some nice detail shots from Motorsport.com

"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

zibby43

Front brake assembly:

DAS-less:

OO7
OO7

zibby43 wrote:
23 Oct 2020, 23:54
Front brake assembly:

https://cdn-1.motorsport.com/images/mgl ... deta-1.jpg
I just love the look of the rear suspension. :o =D>