[ 2020 ] Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
SmallSoldier

Re: [ 2020 ] Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

Chicane wrote:Seidl has been categorical that this short term pain will be worthwhile for a better 2021. Remember, 2022 car development is banned till the end of the current season so Mclaren want to focus on the 2021 car with side by side learning from MCL35 till the end of the year.

I think once the 2022 car development ban is lifted the focus will shift to 2022. I don't think there are going to be many upgrades on thr 2021 car through the season. McLaren are front loading all the 2021 car developments now.

Seidl has talked about two really important reasons as to why they are bringing aero upgrades even if it means disturbing the situation, one being on track understanding of aero parts, two, confirmation of wind tunnel/CFD correlation.

McLaren has been in constant exchange with Mercedes about PU Integration ever since the deal was announced. This lead time will help McLaren. The air flow characteristics on an f1 car can be extremely tricky to optimize especially around the bargeboard area as the margin for error is basically zero. I wouldn't be surprised if there is further tweaking of bargeboard bits in the next race based on the data from the last race.
In addition, the reason to push forward some of the new bits was because they had to implement them and homologate them before the cutoff dates.

There are also parts that aren’t that visible (like the new nose) that may also need to be understood (suspension, mechanical) that may have been rushed in due to the freezes.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Chicane

Aerodynamic upgrade is unrestricted, only chassis is Frozen. The nose had to be homologated by Sochi but the aero upgrades do not fall under restrictions.
Quickshifter

subcritical71

diffuser wrote:
16 Oct 2020, 16:39
subcritical71 wrote:
16 Oct 2020, 15:49
Big Tea wrote:
15 Oct 2020, 12:49

I thought they were not allowed to change back from 'limp mode' now?
I remember reading they can go down in power all they want, but cannot go back. So these comments are interesting. Could it be that the the engine never changed modes and only reacted negatively to the sensor reading. So in other words it was still in the original engine mode and they were trying to work around the issue to get the power to normal.

I don't think that was a mapping change he was making, which I think is what you were reffering to. He was resettting the senors. Kind of like in you car when a light goes on from a Sensor and you connect with the canmic and clear it but it keeps coming back. I presume if they didn't keep reesetting it, it would of shut the engine off.
That makes sense also. My scenario was working around a sensor that may be failing, but I think in this case the sensor was fine but they were maybe trying to clear 'reboot' it (maybe clearing the hysteresis).

Szabi1112

Its gonna be windy. Poor McLaren, poor us :(

Our car performs quite bad in windy conditions :/ lets hope the best

BrunoH

going to have some rain... hope it helps

haza

We’re yet to see this new updated car properly dialled in and wind issues may not be so bad with the new front end hoping the team can find the cars sweet spot

CjC
CjC

Szabi1112 wrote:
19 Oct 2020, 22:03

I’ve heard Perez claim that the racing point struggles in the wind as well....
Just a fan's point of view

daren_p

Szabi1112 wrote:

Not always the case, if its a tail wind they seem to have issues but they seem to preform well/fine with a head wind.

Big Tea

daren_p wrote:
20 Oct 2020, 14:52
Szabi1112 wrote:

Not always the case, if its a tail wind they seem to have issues but they seem to preform well/fine with a head wind.
I think it depends on how they 'hit' the wind. If it is a headwind going into a bend they get extra grip.
If it is a tailwind coming out of a bend they lose downforce unexpectedly. Same if it is a gusting wind.
IT looks like the unexpected Change in DF that does the damage.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

Chicane

Seidl:-
“As we prepare to head to Portugal, our focus since Germany has been on analysing and understanding the data we gathered at the Nürburgring so that we come to the right conclusions and find the best way to progress. Based on that analysis we will continue to use our new nose box aero concept combined with a known competitive car configuration. We will continue to bring more new upgrades to the car to test on Friday and also further explore and quantify our new aero concept.

https://www.mclaren.com/racing/2020/por ... -portugal/
Quickshifter

Chicane

So they are happy with thr new nose and aero concept but will be running it with old spec bargeboards.

As i had said earlier they are bringing further upgrades on Friday to test to make the new concept work.
Quickshifter

M840TR

Chicane wrote:
20 Oct 2020, 17:10
So they are happy with thr new nose and aero concept but will be running it with old spec bargeboards.

As i had said earlier they are bringing further upgrades on Friday to test to make the new concept work.
Nothing said about bargeboards. Probably the underlying changes Norris was referring to.

Ground Effect

Almost like this isn’t a race weekend..🤔
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

CjC
CjC

Ground Effect wrote:
22 Oct 2020, 21:25
Agreed

The lack of build up photos of the cars isn’t helping ‘the mood’ because of the Covid restrictions

CjC
CjC

CjC wrote:
22 Oct 2020, 23:22
Ground Effect wrote:
22 Oct 2020, 21:25
Agreed

The lack of build up photos of the cars isn’t helping ‘the mood’ either because of the Covid restrictions