Sky creating monopoly in the U.K?

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
siskue2005

Re: Sky creating monopoly in the U.K?

i am confused. so can i watch live f1 on F1TV in UK?
i am moving to UK next month, I was hoping to watch it on F1 TV
Please confirm guys
thank you

the EDGE

siskue2005 wrote:
25 Oct 2020, 07:45
Please confirm guys
thank you
No, because of their Sky contract F1TV is not available in the UK. You can get a subscription to NOW TV which is an Internet streaming service owned by sky, however this only gives you the ability to watch live events. You will need a NOW TV box or a similar box from another provider which has a NOW TV app on it

This means if you are not at home when the race is broadcast you will miss it, as there is no option to record or watch on-demand via now tv

The race is repeated on other days, but again you will have to be home when it is broadcast, & highlights are available in the evening on race day on both channel 4 & sky1

siskue2005

the EDGE wrote:
25 Oct 2020, 09:47
siskue2005 wrote:
Please confirm guys
thank you
No, because of their Sky contract F1TV is not available in the UK. You can get a subscription to NOW TV which is an Internet streaming service owned by sky, however this only gives you the ability to watch live events. You will need a NOW TV box or a similar box from another provider which has a NOW TV app on it

This means if you are not at home when the race is broadcast you will miss it, as there is no option to record or watch on-demand via now tv

The race is repeated on other days, but again you will have to be home when it is broadcast, & highlights are available in the evening on race day on both channel 4 & sky1
Ah, thank you for clearing that up

nzjrs

siskue2005 wrote:
Please confirm guys
thank you
I watch F1TV from UK via a VPN because I already had an F1TV account from earlier.

From memory the free practices work without the VPN, maybe qualifying too.

Edits: persistent failure to spell correctly
Last edited by nzjrs on 25 Oct 2020, 13:38, edited 3 times in total.

El Scorchio

siskue2005 wrote:
25 Oct 2020, 09:52
the EDGE wrote:
25 Oct 2020, 09:47
siskue2005 wrote:
Please confirm guys
thank you

Ah, thank you for clearing that up
Or, and yes it can be pricey unfortunately depending on the package you’ll need which has Sports added, get Sky or Virgin TV and then you can watch as normal.

Or put up with highlights on channel 4. It’s basically the same for any sport here now. Almost all behind a pay wall aside from the Olympics and football World Cup and the few other things the BBC has managed to hold on to.

NathanOlder

I may be one of the only ones happy with Sky then. I guess I'm lucky I love watching IndyCar, Golf, Darts. I watch occasional football. I have BT Sport too for MotoGP. And my life revolves around F1. So every session I watch live, then I get to see every F3 F2 race live as well. All worth the money I pay.
Internet, Home Phone, Sky HD (all channels but the movies), BT Sport.

All for about £83 a month.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

Just_a_fan

NathanOlder wrote:
25 Oct 2020, 14:35
I may be one of the only ones happy with Sky then. I guess I'm lucky I love watching IndyCar, Golf, Darts. I watch occasional football. I have BT Sport too for MotoGP. And my life revolves around F1. So every session I watch live, then I get to see every F3 F2 race live as well. All worth the money I pay.

If you are able to watch all of that then I can see why you'd be happy. No way my SWMBO would let me watch that much sport on TV. I get away with watching some F1 but I wouldn't pay £1000/year to watch 1.5-2 hours every fortnight.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

NathanOlder

Just_a_fan wrote:
25 Oct 2020, 16:54
NathanOlder wrote:

If you are able to watch all of that then I can see why you'd be happy. No way my SWMBO would let me watch that much sport on TV. I get away with watching some F1 but I wouldn't pay £1000/year to watch 1.5-2 hours every fortnight.
Yeah that makes sense. I guess I'm lucky my wife accepted me the way I am :lol:
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

Just_a_fan

NathanOlder wrote:
25 Oct 2020, 17:03
Just_a_fan wrote:
25 Oct 2020, 16:54
NathanOlder wrote:

Yeah that makes sense. I guess I'm lucky my wife accepted me the way I am :lol:
She puts up with other stuff so I pick my battles. :lol:

I'd rather use my brownie points on stuff I do myself, such as game and clay shooting and having nights in the pub. Spend £1000 / year watching TV or £1000 / year towards shooting? No brainer for me, that one. :lol:

Good job we're all different though, or it'd be a dull old world. 8)
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Jolle

Does Britain already have it's own monopoly laws after Brexit? It's just my guess... but I don't think the tories are going to block a plan for a Murdock monopoly.... so I don't give your letter much chance.

Ringleheim

adrianjordan wrote:
24 Oct 2020, 23:27
Big Tea wrote:
24 Oct 2020, 11:37
adrianjordan wrote:
24 Oct 2020, 00:13
If C4 loses the highlights show and Sky don't come up with an on-demand offering on NowTV then unfortunately that will mean I am no longer able to watch F1 as I don't have an option to have a dish installed.
Do you know anyone with SKY f1? I use Sky go on my son's. A bottle of Jack Danials every now and again to make it worth his while
No, everyone I know either watches on C4 or Now TV (or is already using someone else's Sky Go account lol). That would also mean watching on my phone or laptop when I'd rather watch on my TV.

I don't think it will be long before F1 moves to their own streaming platform anyway tbh

They better be careful about that. This current formula is the worst in a long time; not sure how many folks would pay to see it.

SiLo

I use a VPN and then got F1TV via the app store for only £60 for the whole year. Fantastic deal if you already use a VPN for other things.
Felipe Baby!

the EDGE

SiLo wrote:
26 Oct 2020, 13:31
I use a VPN and then got F1TV via the app store for only £60 for the whole year. Fantastic deal if you already use a VPN for other things.
Does f1tv offer on an on-demand service for the most recent race?

El Scorchio

the EDGE wrote:
26 Oct 2020, 14:49
SiLo wrote:
I think if you don't care at all about any other sports or TV packages then this is probably your best bet. (But you will have to run the slight risk of getting caught out and losing it. I imagine most VPNs would charge 5-10 quid a month as well, though) Or you could do a Now TV pass for each weekend, although that probably works out 2-3 times more expensive across the season as a whole, but of course you get all other sports too if you're interested in them.

Watching live sport is so complicated :)

the EDGE

El Scorchio wrote:
26 Oct 2020, 15:05
the EDGE wrote:
26 Oct 2020, 14:49
SiLo wrote:
I think if you don't care at all about any other sports or TV packages then this is probably your best bet. (But you will have to run the slight risk of getting caught out and losing it. I imagine most VPNs would charge 5-10 quid a month as well, though) Or you could do a Now TV pass for each weekend, although that probably works out 2-3 times more expensive across the season as a whole, but of course you get all other sports too if you're interested in them.

Watching live sport is so complicated :)
To be honest its not about the cost. the problem is as much as I love F1, sometimes there is something better I'd rather be doing on a Sunday afternoon and with NOW TV you either watch there and then, or not at all

Is that the same as F1TV? or can you watch the latest races anytime with an on-demand catch-up service