[ 2020 ] Scuderia Ferrari - Ferrari

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
JPBD1990
JPBD1990

Re: [ 2020 ] Scuderia Ferrari - Ferrari

IF (and it’s a GIANT if) Ferrari’s pace in FP1 & 2 so far is legit, then it’s certainly encouraging and might show the benefits of their new technical structure. I’m hopeful. Let’s see how things develop this weekend and for the rest of the season.

LM10
LM10

JPBD1990 wrote:
23 Oct 2020, 16:32
IF (and it’s a GIANT if) Ferrari’s pace in FP1 & 2 so far is legit, then it’s certainly encouraging and might show the benefits of their new technical structure. I’m hopeful. Let’s see how things develop this weekend and for the rest of the season.
My thoughts. They not only develop and seem to get faster, but especially the updates they’ve brought to Portimao clearly are a step towards 2021.

Unf

Is there any one who have a clue what the hell is going on with Vettel?

1. He forgot how to drive?
2. He just does not give a s*it?
3. He is trying to revange Ferrari for being kicked out and do it in purpose?
4. He has totally no skill to adapt to the car that he doesn't like to?

The gap in performance between him and Leclerc is unexplainable...

Big Tea

Unf wrote:
24 Oct 2020, 18:14

5 Not giving Ferrari any development assistance
6 Just turning up and going through the motions and going home.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

Pany
Pany

Number 3. In addition, he is racing for racing point now.
Unf wrote:

Schippke
Schippke

Unpopular opinion; As much as I have respect for Vettel, his successes and him as an individual, the team should seriously think about replacing him between now and the end of the season.

Don't get me wrong, the way he has been treated by Ferrari the last couple of seasons has been anything but respectful most of the time, but this year with the exception of the race in Budapest, he has been comprehensively beaten by Charles every other time... and if Ferrari are wanting to improve their position in this season championship, they'd do well to consider another driver between now and the end of the season. Only problem is, who would they employ with Sainz due to arrive early next year... maybe The Hulk, but would it be wise if he was to rejoin the grid next year with a team that isn't Ferrari backed in someway?

Unless, Ferrari doesn't mind as such keeping Vettel onboard and scoring as many points, as it'll give them more Wind-Tunnel time for 2021 they can use to develop the 2022 project, due to the new regulations regarding R&D Research with regards to Championship finishing position?

Feel free to disagree... just an opinion to potentially create some debate; Be nice! :P

LM10
LM10

Schippke wrote:
25 Oct 2020, 01:08
Unpopular opinion; As much as I have respect for Vettel, his successes and him as an individual, the team should seriously think about replacing him between now and the end of the season.

Don't get me wrong, the way he has been treated by Ferrari the last couple of seasons has been anything but respectful most of the time, but this year with the exception of the race in Budapest, he has been comprehensively beaten by Charles every other time... and if Ferrari are wanting to improve their position in this season championship, they'd do well to consider another driver between now and the end of the season. Only problem is, who would they employ with Sainz due to arrive early next year... maybe The Hulk, but would it be wise if he was to rejoin the grid next year with a team that isn't Ferrari backed in someway?

Unless, Ferrari doesn't mind as such keeping Vettel onboard and scoring as many points, as it'll give them more Wind-Tunnel time for 2021 they can use to develop the 2022 project, due to the new regulations regarding R&D Research with regards to Championship finishing position?

Feel free to disagree... just an opinion to potentially create some debate; Be nice! :P
I was going to answer you the same thing you wrote yourself. I don't see a reason in desperately trying to finish as high as possible this season anymore. Everyone already knows Ferrari messed up big time. Better go for more wind tunnel and CFD time.

El Scorchio

Big Tea wrote:
24 Oct 2020, 18:16
Unf wrote:

5 Not giving Ferrari any development assistance
6 Just turning up and going through the motions and going home.
Definitely #6, and also I’d add the team are probably just supplying him with the bare minimum required in terms of equipment and support.

cheeRS
cheeRS

Unf wrote:

The gap is only "unexplainable" ( I think you mean inexplicable) if you're a Ferrari fanboy. If you're not a Ferrari fanboy (you ARE logical/reasonable) you can easily see the lack of support and complete undermining of Vettel. You might think this is far fetched, but Ferrari have effectivley made Vettel their scapegoat after the engine scandal of last year. Ferrari have written off this season from race 1. Last year Vettel and Leclerc were relatively well matched. This year it is more lopsided than can be believed. Did Vettel just randomly lose all the skills that made him a 4-time WDC? Did a young Leclerc just destroy him that conclusively?

Here's the reality and I'd love it if someone could prove otherwise: After his engine-related retirement at the Russian GP of 2019, Vettel said "bring back the v12s" aka, these v6 hybrids suck and are unreliable. What's the problem with that? Well, Vettel said that message publically for all to hear. A big slap in the face to the crappy Ferrari hybrid engine. Well, guess who was head of the Ferrari engine department since 2013? Hmmm...... some guy named MATTIA BINOTTO. He took it personally. Since that race, Ferrari hasn't been the same, for Vettel. Binotto took it personal as a petty, immature Italian and couldn't let it go. Vettel ruined his reputation in 10 seconds during that radio message and Binotto is on a vendetta to ruin Vettel's reputation.

It's petty, it's sad, but anyone who has any idea of how things operate at Ferrari know what's going on. Think about it - they sacked 5-times WDC Alain Prost because of a shitty Ferrari car, they (according to rumors) sacked Schumacher because of a --- car in 2005-2006. In Ferrari, there is too much worship of their own name, too much **** ** Enzo's ***. Someone prove me wrong. Please, I'd love to hear it.
🤭 wrote:
“Being the 'most successful statistically' has nothing to do with being the 'best'. neither when it comes to the cars, nor when it comes to the drivers” 😂

garychopper
garychopper

Vettel imo, has never justified Ferrari's investment on him. The 2017 and 2018 Ferrari's were good cars overall and I would argue that if lewis was driving them, he would have won the championship despite the team's mistakes. Many times the team makes mistakes because they are under pressure as they are not optimizing what they have. A driver if he extracts the complete potential of the machine will take off some of that pressure especially in a close championship. In his time together with Kimi, Seb never beat him convincingly. Lewis, otoh always proves why he deserves what he gets. He manages to extract the complete potential of the equipment at his disposal.
Ferrari was absolutely justified in firing him, it's a pity that they didn't do it sooner. Charles is just showing Seb his place and next year Lance will show him up as well.
The people who are harping about that he wasn't treated well, he is paid in the region of 40 million$$ an year and there are many drivers in the present grid who will do much better than him for 1/4th of the cost.
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication- Leonardo da vinci

Carl Mccoy
Carl Mccoy

Vettel is just slow. Riccardo 6 years ago proves that.

hape
hape

cheeRS wrote:
25 Oct 2020, 05:08
Unf wrote:

The gap is only "unexplainable" ( I think you mean inexplicable) if you're a Ferrari fanboy. If you're not a Ferrari fanboy (you ARE logical/reasonable) you can easily see the lack of support and complete undermining of Vettel. You might think this is far fetched, but Ferrari have effectivley made Vettel their scapegoat after the engine scandal of last year. Ferrari have written off this season from race 1. Last year Vettel and Leclerc were relatively well matched. This year it is more lopsided than can be believed. Did Vettel just randomly lose all the skills that made him a 4-time WDC? Did a young Leclerc just destroy him that conclusively?

Here's the reality and I'd love it if someone could prove otherwise: After his engine-related retirement at the Russian GP of 2019, Vettel said "bring back the v12s" aka, these v6 hybrids suck and are unreliable. What's the problem with that? Well, Vettel said that message publically for all to hear. A big slap in the face to the crappy Ferrari hybrid engine. Well, guess who was head of the Ferrari engine department since 2013? Hmmm...... some guy named MATTIA BINOTTO. He took it personally. Since that race, Ferrari hasn't been the same, for Vettel. Binotto took it personal as a petty, immature Italian and couldn't let it go. Vettel ruined his reputation in 10 seconds during that radio message and Binotto is on a vendetta to ruin Vettel's reputation.

It's petty, it's sad, but anyone who has any idea of how things operate at Ferrari know what's going on. Think about it - they sacked 5-times WDC Alain Prost because of a shitty Ferrari car, they (according to rumors) sacked Schumacher because of a --- car in 2005-2006. In Ferrari, there is too much worship of their own name, too much **** ** Enzo's ***. Someone prove me wrong. Please, I'd love to hear it.
At least you gave me a good laugh with your “reality”, however I see it quite differently. Maybe you can have a good laugh at my post.
In my opinion Vettel was good, yes he was good when the cars had a double diffuser and were planted at the rear. Since the hybrid era he lost big time to Ricciardo who was a newbie at the RedBull team. Vettel should have been better because he had the experience in the team.
Once at Ferrari, yes, Vettel was most of the times faster than Raikkonen but not to the same extend as Alonso was faster than Raikkonen.
In 2019 Vettel started as the nr1 at the team, Leclerc being the newbie at the team however showed more and more pace over the year, ending with more points in the championship. And if not for having engine troubles while leading the Bahrein GP it would have been even worse.
Vettel has shown so many times (even at RedBull) he cracks under pressure. Spinning his car like a rookie, far too many lock-ups ruining his tyres and yes...then you will be even more slower, etc, etc.

Furthermore, Ferrari need every point this year because of the terrible car they built. Every point could mean a lot of money in the end. Also, this year ends already bad and if next year will be the same, it’s exit for binotto. But you think he (binotto) wants to dig his own grave by blocking Vettel scoring points ? Instead of finishing 4th and 5th he likes a 4th and no points from Vettel?

selvam_e2002
selvam_e2002

Vettel over rated by RB. 2010 to 2013 car was good so he won it. There is no true potential on him.

A Good Driver should adjust himself to the car not the car on his like.

If Alonso drove in 2017 and 18, Ferrari would won 2 WDC. The car was good on those two years compared to 2010 and 2012.

Ferrari did a big mistake on choosing Vettel over Alonso now they are paying for it.

JordanMugen

Unf wrote:

1. He forgot how to drive? <<
4. He has totally no skill to adapt to the car that he doesn't like to? <<

1 and 4 are the ones. Leclerc is a talented driver, and Vettel seems to lack skill in the role of number two driver (whose job is to drive with the setup of the number one driver and help with development FOR the number one driver :) ).

No wonder Ferrari are not best pleased with Vettel! Raikkonen was far more competent as a number two driver, while Vettel seems unable to get his head around the number two driver role. :shock:
selvam_e2002 wrote:
25 Oct 2020, 17:19
Ferrari did a big mistake on choosing Vettel over Alonso now they are paying for it.
Ricciardo was the Red Bull driver of choice at the time... An Alonso/Ricciardo lineup would have done great things for Ferrari from 2015 to 2018. =D>

JordanMugen

El Scorchio wrote:
25 Oct 2020, 03:28
Definitely #6, and also I’d add the team are probably just supplying him with the bare minimum required in terms of equipment and support.
As long as Ferrari plug in the same setup as Leclerc, Vettel has no reason to complain. He has Leclerc's data trace to copy and it is his job to duplicate Leclerc's technique -- corner entry oversteer tolerance inclusive! :wink:

The Ferrari is (at times) a top 5 car (great job on development BTW!), so it's Vettel's job to extract that potential in the way that Leclerc does!

[Same applies for Albon at Red Bull with that top 3 car.]