[ 2020 ] Aston Martin RedBull Racing F1 Team - Honda

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
godlameroso

Re: [ 2020 ] Aston Martin RedBull Racing F1 Team - Honda

I've thought about it, why Gasly wouldn't come back to Red Bull. He's doing very well in AT, and RBR is planning to make AT a sister team instead of a junior team, the AT seems to perform very similar to the RB in anyone who isn't Verstappen.

If AT is going to be equal to RBR in the future(2022), then it would make sense to have Gasly lead the AT squad.
Saishū kōnā

restless
restless

They already measured Gasly.
Same story as Albon - his average was even lower vs Verstappen
I guess they have the tools and means to measure who is performing above/below expectations
We'll see what will be their choice

TwanV
TwanV

My bet is on Russell, or Norris if they can spend the money. Hulkenberg gets along with Max and he's a very marketable person and still hungry for the podium but somehow I can't see it happening. Russell however is in a bit of a deadlock at Williams with no incentive to move him to Mercedes if Hamilton extends his contact. Seems the obvious choice for the future.

Sieper

@restless

They most certainly have, and the drivers all know that information as well. Performance normalized to the car so the speak. Leclerc really expected he might have a shot at Max this race, you could hear from his post race he thought, whow.

etusch

restless wrote:
26 Oct 2020, 17:15
They already measured Gasly.
Same story as Albon - his average was even lower vs Verstappen
I guess they have the tools and means to measure who is performing above/below expectations
We'll see what will be their choice
If Albon will preforms as Gasly when he return to AT it will be very good for both Albon himself and AT. Kvyat is not performing good unfortunately. So as Horner had said they need an outside driver. I prefer Perez over Hulkenberg, but in fact I wouldn't prefer Perez too if there were better one. I think only Hulk and Perez is good enough to choose. If Russel can be bring then he would be better.

etusch

TwanV wrote:
26 Oct 2020, 17:39
My bet is on Russell, or Norris if they can spend the money. Hulkenberg gets along with Max and he's a very marketable person and still hungry for the podium but somehow I can't see it happening. Russell however is in a bit of a deadlock at Williams with no incentive to move him to Mercedes if Hamilton extends his contact. Seems the obvious choice for the future.
I think if Russel is not that good to fight with Hamilton he would replace Bottas. But his words about Albon & Redbull may prevent this to happen.

Snorked
Snorked

Crap - I posted in the wrong thread 😬

Can somebody move to to Alpha thread?

Marko confirms Gasly for 2021:

https://motorsport.nextgen-auto.com/fr/ ... 53891.html

also says Tsunoda will be driving for the team if he gets his super license:

https://sport.sky.de/formel1/artikel/fo ... 8372/34341

But it's looking like Albon is finished in F1, he needs to pull off a miracle or hope Tsunoda doesn't get the job done to stick around.

AMG.Tzan

Russell in the RB will be a good bet! But is Mercedes willing to let off their young talent to their biggest competitor?? I don't think so...

And what about Perez and Hulk?? Both of them have come up against drivers that clearly beat them (Button and Ricciardo respectively), so why would RB choose them?? I don't believe they'll be any better than either Albon or Gasly!

Red Bull have to understand that there's something wrong with their car and if Verstapen leaves RB for some reason i wanna see what they'll do then! Just like Honda in MotoGP...Marc is out and Honda was dead last until now! Gasly proved to them that he can handle pressure and he can win when given the right car! So i don't think that either Gasly or Albon forgot how to drive an F1 car when they got into the RB!

The only drivers who could get into RB right now and challenge Verstapen are: Hamilton, Leclerc, Ricciardo and Alonso!
"The only rule is there are no rules" - Aristotle Onassis

ispano6

Snorked wrote:
26 Oct 2020, 23:12
Crap - I posted in the wrong thread 😬

Can somebody move to to Alpha thread?

Marko confirms Gasly for 2021:

https://motorsport.nextgen-auto.com/fr/ ... 53891.html

also says Tsunoda will be driving for the team if he gets his super license:

https://sport.sky.de/formel1/artikel/fo ... 8372/34341

But it's looking like Albon is finished in F1, he needs to pull off a miracle or hope Tsunoda doesn't get the job done to stick around.
Here's the English version...
Pierre Gasly is staying at Alpha Tauri next year, according to Dr Helmut Marko.

After another good performance in Portugal, the French driver was asked if he will be rewarded with a return to Red Bull’s senior team and he answered coyly: "We’ll see."

But Marko says he is definitely staying put.

"Gasly will drive for Alpha Tauri, and the teammate will be announced after the Bahrain GP at the latest," the energy drink company’s top F1 official told RTL.

Bahrain will host two grands prix at the end of November and the beginning of December.

As for Red Bull Racing’s 2021 lineup, the rhetoric has changed and Alex Albon no longer appears the favourite to remain Max Verstappen’s teammate.

"Alex needs more consistency," Marko insisted.

"Sometimes he is not far behind Max but sometimes the gap is too big. While he is progressing, he is our driver and we are in no hurry to decide."

However, team boss Christian Horner suggests that Albon needs to "strike back strongly at Imola" this weekend after finishing 12th and a lap down in Portugal.

"Unfortunately there are not so many races left this year and we have to slowly start thinking about next season. The decision has to be made in the next few weeks," Horner added.

Red Bull has named Nico Hulkenberg and Sergio Perez as attractive potential candidates to replace Albon, but Horner says there is no rush to sign either of them.

"The candidates would certainly prefer the Red Bull seat over their other alternatives," Horner admits. "I think they are waiting for our decision."

He also backed Marko’s comments about Gasly staying at Alpha Tauri.

"If Alex was in an Alpha Tauri, he would probably do as good a job as Pierre is," said Horner.

"The pressure and the expectations are lower at Alpha Tauri and our car is also more difficult to drive than the Alpha Tauri. Max can handle it but for others it’s a big problem.

"Everyone in the team is trying to help Alex gain confidence, because he has a lot of talent and we still believe in him. But today he had a tough day," Horner said on Sunday.
https://motorsport.nextgen-auto.com/en/ ... 53898.html

zibby43
zibby43

Regarding the 2nd Red Bull seat, the following is from a user at r/formula1 (/u/charly0418) who personally knows some of the folks in Sergio's "team" of professional/business representatives.

He posted the quote I attached below in response to three journalists claiming this weekend in Portugal that "there is a 99% probability that Sergio Pérez is driving for Red Bull next year"

Source:

Take this all for what it is worth (as speculation/rumor, and not as fact) but I figured I would at least share it, as there are now multiple sources speculating that it is down to Checo and Albon.

Here's the quote from the supposed connection, in response to the tweet above:

"Here’s what I know:

99% seems a bit crazy but I will say it’s very likely. No decision has been made and Albon still has one more GP to turn things around. Sorry Hulk and Magnussen fans, but it’s between Albon and Perez for the seat.

At the end of the day Slim is offering 30+ million of sponsorship. As some people have already commented, A1 Telekom will join in on the sponsorship package Perez has. A1 is owned by American Móvil, in fact A1 and Red Bull are already partners in Red Bull mobile

Red Bull are also very interested as Perez gives them a great way to increase presence on the Latin American market. So that’s what I know, Albon has one more GP to proof he belongs, if not I expect something to be signed the following 1-2 weeks."

velizare
velizare

any words about the pu meeting happened yesterday?

Juzh

Perez seems like a reasonable choice. I put him somewhere close to Ric's level, maybe just a bit below that, which is more or less perfect for Red bull. He won't be bothering Verstappen too much and will be able to put that car where it actually belongs much more so than Albon.
Albon is as good as gone by this point. Abysmal and completely unacceptable performance last few races. I'm 100% convinced decision has already been made and they're just waiting for the right moment to announce it, whenever that may be.
I've seen numerous cracks last year already even on his good days, but given him benefit of doubt as he was a rookie after all. This year he should pick up his performances as the year got on, but instead he seems to be standing still at best, if not moving backwards.

Sieper

perez also has e very strong rumor mill. First with the Williams Russell out rumor (which Williams stated was to put extra pressure on RB to go for Perez) and now the Hulk is out of the equation rumor. It is even coming via the Perez channel that we know of here (Zibby knew this). I wouldn't immediately trust that RB management is really having Perez in the hot seat. at this moment everything is a rumor.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Juzh wrote:
27 Oct 2020, 11:51

Albon is as good as gone by this point. Abysmal and completely unacceptable performance last few races.
Standard fare for Red Bull and their "driver programme". Throw in young drivers and just leave them to sink or swim. If they sink, chuck them away with their careers all but ruined. Rinse, repeat. If the young drivers is lucky, he'll get a second chance in another team and be able to show his talent. Otherwise, he's washed up and washed out. I can't help but think that RedBull's problem is partly their own making in this regard.

Albon might find another seat in F1 or he might be lucky and find a seat in another formula/series altogether. Or become a TV commentator.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Big Tea

I can not but think Gasly and Albon next year in AT, with the 'sister team not junior team' quote is going to look a very respectable upper mid team.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.