Mercedes W11

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
DarthPlagueisTheVise

Re: Mercedes W11

Merc ran the double pillar rear wing today but I think they were running the single pillar one yesterday am I right?
Technical Noob

ispano6

DarthPlagueisTheVise wrote:
22 Oct 2020, 19:02
Merc experimenting or is das just not useful enough for them anymore?https://imgur.com/r1CctI6

https://i.imgur.com/r1CctI6_d.webp?maxw ... lity=grand
They aren't running the cars with DAS this weekend to have the drivers understand the implications of next year without DAS. It was mentioned during the broadcast of free practice and also in a few articles.

El Scorchio

ispano6 wrote:
25 Oct 2020, 00:25
Merc experimenting or is das just not useful enough for them anymore?https://imgur.com/r1CctI6

They aren't running the cars with DAS this weekend to have the drivers understand the implications of next year without DAS. It was mentioned during the broadcast of free practice and also in a few articles.
They didn’t run DAS on Friday (in preparation for next year as you say) but they are for the rest of the weekend according to what was said on the TV today. I won’t vouch for 100% accuracy coming from those who said it though.

zibby43

El Scorchio wrote:
25 Oct 2020, 03:20
ispano6 wrote:
25 Oct 2020, 00:25

They didn’t run DAS on Friday (in preparation for next year as you say) but they are for the rest of the weekend according to what was said on the TV today. I won’t vouch for 100% accuracy coming from those who said it though.
This is 100% correct. They had it for FP3/qualifying and will have it for the race.

zibby43

24 Oct 2020, 16:50
Merc ran the double pillar rear wing today but I think they were running the single pillar one yesterday am I right?
In the debrief today, Shov mentioned that they decided to sacrifice a bit of straightline speed by running some more downforce today. Guess they needed that little bit extra to help generate temperature in the tires on this very "closed" circuit tarmac. It's almost like it's covered in sealant.

So yes, you are correct, they were running the single pillar RW variant yesterday, but went with the higher-downforce spec today.

djones

It's ridiculous, yet equally disappointing that they stopped developing this car months ago.

Total slaughter today for Mercedes and for next year they have a head start on everyone from this platform. Likely they could enter the W11 into 2021 and still be at the front. It might be worth an early bet on Racing Point being second in the constructors next year.

zibby43

djones wrote:
25 Oct 2020, 18:23
It's ridiculous, yet equally disappointing that they stopped developing this car months ago.

Total slaughter today for Mercedes and for next year they have a head start on everyone from this platform. Likely they could enter the W11 into 2021 and still be at the front. It might be worth an early bet on Racing Point being second in the constructors next year.
The race pace today, particularly in the hands of Hamilton, was something else. Like you said, with being able to divert resources toward the '21 reg changes early, combined with Merc's novel intake design for the W12, Merc may have another supreme weapon on their hands.

How do you reckon the W11 will fare at Imola this week?

dtro

zibby43 wrote:
26 Oct 2020, 00:46
djones wrote:

The race pace today, particularly in the hands of Hamilton, was something else. Like you said, with being able to divert resources toward the '21 reg changes early, combined with Merc's novel intake design for the W12, Merc may have another supreme weapon on their hands.

Seems like a circuit Hamilton will take to. Slowtas Idk.

zibby43

dtro wrote:
26 Oct 2020, 02:39
zibby43 wrote:
djones wrote:

Was doing some research and according to Pirelli, we’ll see Austria/Silverstone levels of downforce at Imola.

tangodjango

zibby43 wrote:
27 Oct 2020, 07:34
dtro wrote:
zibby43 wrote:

Was doing some research and according to Pirelli, we’ll see Austria/Silverstone levels of downforce at Imola.
Both Istanbul and Imola seem to be fairly high speed circuits. How are the tire loads at Istanbul? Similar to Silverstone?
“Hamilton’s talent is perhaps even more than that of Ayrton or Schumacher or Fernando." - Rubens Barrichello

dtro

zibby43 wrote:
dtro wrote:
zibby43 wrote:

I just expect more of the same from Merc's driver's performances. Bottas might look ahead when it doesn't matter and Hamilton will do his thing haha.

Hamilton does well at both circuits you mentioned. Plus he has all the emotional connections to Imola- love for Senna, etc. I don't think he's ever raced there in F1 has he?

DarthPlagueisTheVise

dtro wrote:
27 Oct 2020, 16:27
zibby43 wrote:
dtro wrote:

I just expect more of the same from Merc's driver's performances. Bottas might look ahead when it doesn't matter and Hamilton will do his thing haha.

Hamilton does well at both circuits you mentioned. Plus he has all the emotional connections to Imola- love for Senna, etc. I don't think he's ever raced there in F1 has he?
Nope last F1 race there was 2006
Technical Noob

Just_a_fan

Kimi is the only current driver who has raced at Imola in an F1 car.

Hamilton raced there in GP2, starting P3 in the feature race before being disqualified. He started the sprint race P15 and finished in P10.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

dtro

Just_a_fan wrote:
27 Oct 2020, 18:12
Kimi is the only current driver who has raced at Imola in an F1 car.

Hamilton raced there in GP2, starting P3 in the feature race before being disqualified. He started the sprint race P15 and finished in P10.
Redemption time

zibby43

tangodjango wrote:
27 Oct 2020, 09:41
zibby43 wrote:
dtro wrote:

Both Istanbul and Imola seem to be fairly high speed circuits. How are the tire loads at Istanbul? Similar to Silverstone?
I've heard it (i.e., Istanbul) compared to Spa, but I'll need to do some additional research.