SSC Tuatara hits 331mph top speed!

Breaking news, useful data or technical highlights or vehicles that are not meant to race. You can post commercial vehicle news or developments here.
Please post topics on racing variants in "other racing categories".
etusch

SSC Tuatara hits 331mph top speed!

Greg Locock

Re: SSC Tuatara hits 331mph top speed!

Only 107 mph to go!

Billzilla

The problem is that they didn't - The speed shown is somewhat exaggerated. There's a few videos on Youtube that break it down and show that it's more like ~ 460 km/h.

Holm86

Billzilla wrote:
28 Oct 2020, 08:42
The problem is that they didn't - The speed shown is somewhat exaggerated. There's a few videos on Youtube that break it down and show that it's more like ~ 460 km/h.
So they didn't use official gps equipment???

DChemTech

But... why?

There's no real point in terms of land speed record; those are past the sound barrier for quite some time. There's no point from a motorsports perspective as there is no lucrative series to participate in. And there's absolutely no point from a roadcar perspective; there is hardly any place where you can use that power on a public road, and there is certainly no case where you need it. Roadcar development does not need this. Quite the contrary; we need efficient cars that can perform with sufficient comfort and speed with minimal power input - and we need that to be the consumer wish; these kind of cars only reinforce the image that cars need to be overpowered and fast, leading to people buying cars with power and speed that they can neither use nor need. I'm fine with motorsports; we all have our hypocrisies, and motorsport all-in-all is a drop in the ocean, tolerable from an entertainment perspective. But beyond the track, the 'need for speed' is just an outdated perspective on what a car should be like.

Holm86

DChemTech wrote:
28 Oct 2020, 11:41
But... why?

There's no real point in terms of land speed record; those are past the sound barrier for quite some time. There's no point from a motorsports perspective as there is no lucrative series to participate in. And there's absolutely no point from a roadcar perspective; there is hardly any place where you can use that power on a public road, and there is certainly no case where you need it. Roadcar development does not need this. Quite the contrary; we need efficient cars that can perform with sufficient comfort and speed with minimal power input - and we need that to be the consumer wish; these kind of cars only reinforce the image that cars need to be overpowered and fast, leading to people buying cars with power and speed that they can neither use nor need. I'm fine with motorsports; we all have our hypocrisies, and motorsport all-in-all is a drop in the ocean, tolerable from an entertainment perspective. But beyond the track, the 'need for speed' is just an outdated perspective on what a car should be like.
To me it makes no sense what you're saying. Im grateful there will always be people who wan't to push the boundaires of everything. That's how technology progresses. No matter how pointless you think it is ...

DChemTech

Holm86 wrote:
28 Oct 2020, 12:16
DChemTech wrote:
But... why?

To me it makes no sense what you're saying. Im grateful there will always be people who wan't to push the boundaires of everything. That's how technology progresses. No matter how pointless you think it is ...
Thing is, there is no need to progress in that particular direction.
I'm sure one can also come up with technical improvements to a trebuchet, but noone is going to use them on the battlefield. I'd rather see the resources and brainpower employed to a more fruitful endeavor.

RZS10

Holm86 wrote:
28 Oct 2020, 10:49
Billzilla wrote:
28 Oct 2020, 08:42
So they didn't use official gps equipment???
They did use GPS but they programmed in an offset =D> =D> =D>
AMERICA F*CK YEAH
Last edited by RZS10 on 28 Oct 2020, 16:22, edited 1 time in total.

Holm86

DChemTech wrote:
28 Oct 2020, 12:43
Holm86 wrote:
DChemTech wrote:
But... why?

Thing is, there is no need to progress in that particular direction.
I'm sure one can also come up with technical improvements to a trebuchet, but noone is going to use them on the battlefield. I'd rather see the resources and brainpower employed to a more fruitful endeavor.
But you just can't dictate what direction people should venture towards.
Im sure there's plenty of people looking into creating more efficient cars etc.

DChemTech

Holm86 wrote:
28 Oct 2020, 16:19
DChemTech wrote:
Holm86 wrote:

True, you can't dictate that, and I'm not saying that it should be dictated either. Just saying that I find it rather pointless 'innovation', because there is absolutely no need for faster, more powerful road cars - it fulfils no purpose. And I argue that, by pushing for faster, more powerful cars, it just reinforces the myth that fast and powerful cars are the pinnacle of status, of sexiness. something any driver should pursue. With all due environmental effects and social impacts following from people abusing their cars in public roads, trying to show off. Again, though I cannot dictate the actions of others, I am disappointed that good minds and tons of money are spent on pursuing pointless records to satisfy societal fashions that harm us. I'd much rather see those resources directed at making efficient and safe cars - and while we're at it - use the marketing budgets to make those aspects sexy.

Holm86

DChemTech wrote:
28 Oct 2020, 16:41
Holm86 wrote:
DChemTech wrote:

True, you can't dictate that, and I'm not saying that it should be dictated either. Just saying that I find it rather pointless 'innovation', because there is absolutely no need for faster, more powerful road cars - it fulfils no purpose. And I argue that, by pushing for faster, more powerful cars, it just reinforces the myth that fast and powerful cars are the pinnacle of status, of sexiness. something any driver should pursue. With all due environmental effects and social impacts following from people abusing their cars in public roads, trying to show off. Again, though I cannot dictate the actions of others, I am disappointed that good minds and tons of money are spent on pursuing pointless records to satisfy societal fashions that harm us. I'd much rather see those resources directed at making efficient and safe cars - and while we're at it - use the marketing budgets to make those aspects sexy.
I don't think any good minds are wasted. Doesn't matter how intelligent you are, if you don't find the subject interesting, you won't bother.

All im trying to say, is that people will always chase records, even though many are pointless. And I think thats a good ting.
And im also pretty sure many discoveries have been made doint "pointless" things :-)

Big Tea

Holm86 wrote:
28 Oct 2020, 16:58
DChemTech wrote:
28 Oct 2020, 16:41
Holm86 wrote:

I don't think any good minds are wasted. Doesn't matter how intelligent you are, if you don't find the subject interesting, you won't bother.

All im trying to say, is that people will always chase records, even though many are pointless. And I think thats a good ting.
And im also pretty sure many discoveries have been made doint "pointless" things :-)
Still a ways to go to beat Tesla though :D (90,682 https://spacein3d.com/mission/starman#: ... 660.01)%20.)
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

Andres125sx

Maybe because I´m gemini I love it and hate it at the same time, here´re my two points of view :mrgreen:

Love it: This is engineering at its maximum, what the humankind can achieve, and it should never be stopped but the contrary, boundaries exist to move them further away, records exist to be beaten. We didn´t land in the moon because it was useful for the average joe, we did it to prove we can do it. Governments should subsidize free runs on these cars so anyone can experiment and feel what a beast like this can achieve, what engineering can achieve

Hate it: This is pointless, dangerous, and a waste of money and resources, and proves comunists to be right, the world is extremelly ill if some people will pay 2M for a car they will barely use when that money could save literally thousands lives or even millions if invested correctly... with the cost of one single car! :wtf: . These records are not pointless, when it was a half of current record it was pointless, now it´s just stupidity at its maximum. Who will ever need a ground vehicle wich moves between traffic (not a train) to reach more than a third of this record? This is like investing millions on the biggest zeppelin ever, absurd, pointless and a waste of resources and money.

Depending on the day I´m more inclined towards one of these, next day it´s the other one :roll: :lol: #-o

Big Tea

Andres125sx wrote:
28 Oct 2020, 19:06
Maybe because I´m gemini I love it and hate it at the same time, here´re my two points of view :mrgreen:

Love it: This is engineering at its maximum, what the humankind can achieve, and it should never be stopped but the contrary, boundaries exist to move them further away, records exist to be beaten. We didn´t land in the moon because it was useful for the average joe, we did it to prove we can do it. Governments should subsidize free runs on these cars so anyone can experiment and feel what a beast like this can achieve, what engineering can achieve

Hate it: This is pointless, dangerous, and a waste of money and resources, and proves comunists to be right, the world is extremelly ill if some people will pay 2M for a car they will barely use when that money could save literally thousands lives or even millions if invested correctly... with the cost of one single car! :wtf: . These records are not pointless, when it was a half of current record it was pointless, now it´s just stupidity at its maximum. Who will ever need a ground vehicle wich moves between traffic (not a train) to reach more than a third of this record? This is like investing millions on the biggest zeppelin ever, absurd, pointless and a waste of resources and money.

Depending on the day I´m more inclined towards one of these, next day it´s the other one :roll: :lol: #-o
It does at first look, but #
Everyone involved in producing this car gets paid for it, and pay taxes, which go to heath services etc.
It enables (or maintains) high technology R&D and production which can be passed on to produce medical or life enhancing devices.

Just last week I was speaking to an in law who said similar about SpaceX being huge amounts of money whic (as she said) could have been used to help endangered animals.

In august a large asteroid flew within about 1,830 miles of Earth. ( 2020 QG past Earth on August 16 )
It would not take a much bigger one to make us and all the poor animals into scorch marks if we do not have a way to deflect it.

I am of the old school that think no knowledge is wasted, you don't know what you need until you need it

Some things do seem a huge wast of money, but when you look at the spin off's it is often cheap for what you get.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

pierrre

using roadside markers does suggest that the SSC Tuatara was travelling slower than the Koenigsegg Agera RS on a head to head video provided by the Koenigsegg Registry channel