[ 2020 ] Aston Martin RedBull Racing F1 Team - Honda

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
El Scorchio

Re: [ 2020 ] Aston Martin RedBull Racing F1 Team - Honda

So that leaves it with Max + (likely Perez of Hulkenberg) in the RBR seats and Gasly + Albon OR Tsunoda in the AT seats, with Kvyat definitely out, and Albon out as well if Tsunoda gets enough points?

Or if Tsunoda gets in does that give Albon a reprieve in the RBR seat? (I'd have thought not)

DChemTech

El Scorchio wrote:
28 Oct 2020, 14:54
So that leaves it with Max + (likely Perez of Hulkenberg) in the RBR seats and Gasly + Albon OR Tsunoda in the AT seats, with Kvyat definitely out, and Albon out as well if Tsunoda gets enough points?

Or if Tsunoda gets in does that give Albon a reprieve in the RBR seat? (I'd have thought not)
Unless Albon manages to grand slam Imola, I think he's done at RB. So then indeed his fate is in the hands of Tsunoda's license, or they do decide to let Tsunoda drive another season of F2 after all.

etusch

DChemTech wrote:
28 Oct 2020, 14:56
El Scorchio wrote:

Unless Albon manages to grand slam Imola, I think he's done at RB. So then indeed his fate is in the hands of Tsunoda's license, or they do decide to let Tsunoda drive another season of F2 after all.
İmola is not enough, he may up his performance all remained race consistantly to show he is at improving stage.

LHamilton

In regards to the Alpha Tauri seat, I think it would be wise to give Tsunoda another year at F2, if Albon were to get dropped from RB. Because if Gasly thinks of leaving the Red Bull programme, break free and join another team in 2022, at least Red Bull/Alpha Tauri would have more data between Gasly - Albon, which could be useful if Albon - Tsunoda are the drivers for Alpha Tauri in 2022.

And Tsunoda with another year at F2, doesn't get rushed into F1. Obviously every driver is different, but we have seen what might happen to a driver if he gets rushed into a situation for which he might feel uncomfortable. He is still young, so one more year at F2 won't do him harm. Heck, it might give Red Bull some useful information in his progression and learning curve, being in one category for more than one year.

DChemTech

etusch wrote:
28 Oct 2020, 15:05
DChemTech wrote:
El Scorchio wrote:

İmola is not enough, he may up his performance all remained race consistantly to show he is at improving stage.
I'm not saying Imola is enough - I think he needs to do something special at Imola if he wants to remain in the race for a seat at all. Otherwise, it's game over there and then. If he puts down a good drive in Imola (ok, grand slam may be a bit much - but P3-P4 or so), then he'll be in the race still. But as you say indeed, he will need to perform every round after, too.
Last edited by DChemTech on 28 Oct 2020, 15:53, edited 1 time in total.

diffuser

Sieper wrote:
27 Oct 2020, 20:43
diffuser wrote:
27 Oct 2020, 18:26
Sieper wrote:
27 Oct 2020, 15:04
Not a problem. The medium was the fastest qualify tire as well.

Two reasons. I think 1 do something else as Merc and hope it works. No cigar. 2 have an advantage in the opening lap and see if you can keep them behind. No cigar.

Option 2 did have some success as Max got Bottas at the start but (as could be seen in the ziggo post race analysis) 2020 Max is very carefull in the opening lap and he gave Bottas plenty of space who aggresively put it next to him and even fully forced Max of track. A point not being mentioned anywhere. Forcing a driver off track. Opening lap of course but still. It caused the Perez jump attempt, which caused the mclaren attack, the charles and kimi attack etc. The point, Max is very carefull with others these days but that did negate the opening lap advantage.

WRONG
1:16:4 was the fastest lap in Quali by Bottas in Q2 ON SOFTS.

I think you just say whatever, with out looking at any data.
What :wtf: . Point 1, leclerc qualified on mediums In Q2 while he was 4 tenths slower than Max in Q3 when both were on softs. So it would have been EASY for Max as well. The mercs did Q3 on mediums. What on earth for if this wasn’t the fastest tire? Max set the fastest time in FP3 on mediums By a margin, then taken away due to track limits and then set the almost fastest time on this same set, Just a few hundredths off. Mercs did their fp3 run on red.

And you seem to think Bottas fastest time in Q2 was set on softs. And then you say I say whatever. Bottas qualified on mediums man, not on softs at all!

I am really angry about this personal attack. I do put a lot of thought in my posts. I hope you come back with a more fair reply. Goodday sir :cry:
Sorry, didn't mean to make you cry.

Remember RBR have a quirky turn in issue that makes the car a little more difficult to drive. That might have led to RBR not wanting to try Med. Again, in my opinion, it was touch and go on Med for Max getting into Q3 aka starting 11th.
Many of the cars were running multiple laps before putting in the fastest lap in quali. It was taking many laps to get the Softs up to temperature. Mediums are even harder to get up to temp.

Anyways, that Horner team rarely misses something. So I'd be surprised that they didn't have a good reason for not trying the Med in quali. That's all I'm really saying.

diffuser

Lock2nl wrote:
28 Oct 2020, 03:10
diffuser wrote:
28 Oct 2020, 02:11
Lock2nl wrote:
28 Oct 2020, 01:28

Bottas did that lap on mediums in the first stint of q2. Check the replay.
They went out again on soft at the end of q2 but they never put a lap together.
I did, well live timing.
Well, I saw him do it on yellows. So did Motorsport.com at https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/port ... p/4897691/
I think live timing had it wrong. After thinking about it. If his fastest lap in Q2 would have been on Softs, he would had to start the race on softs. My bad.

diffuser

DChemTech wrote:
28 Oct 2020, 15:35
etusch wrote:
DChemTech wrote:

I'm not saying Imola is enough - I think he needs to do something special at Imola if he wants to remain in the race for a seat at all. Otherwise, it's game over there and then.
So which tenure at RBR Is Better Albon or Gasley at this point? by how much?

Does anyone think that if RBR had left Gasley at RBR he'd be driving like he is at AT at RBR?

godlameroso

diffuser wrote:
28 Oct 2020, 15:39
Sieper wrote:
diffuser wrote:
27 Oct 2020, 18:26

WRONG
1:16:4 was the fastest lap in Quali by Bottas in Q2 ON SOFTS.

I think you just say whatever, with out looking at any data.
What :wtf: . Point 1, leclerc qualified on mediums In Q2 while he was 4 tenths slower than Max in Q3 when both were on softs. So it would have been EASY for Max as well. The mercs did Q3 on mediums. What on earth for if this wasn’t the fastest tire? Max set the fastest time in FP3 on mediums By a margin, then taken away due to track limits and then set the almost fastest time on this same set, Just a few hundredths off. Mercs did their fp3 run on red.

And you seem to think Bottas fastest time in Q2 was set on softs. And then you say I say whatever. Bottas qualified on mediums man, not on softs at all!

I am really angry about this personal attack. I do put a lot of thought in my posts. I hope you come back with a more fair reply. Goodday sir :cry:

Remember RBR have a quirky turn in issue that makes the car a little more difficult to drive. That might have led to RBR not wanting to try Med. Again, in my opinion, it was touch and go on Med for Max getting into Q3 aka starting 11th.
Many of the cars were running multiple laps before putting in the fastest lap in quali. It was taking many laps to get the Softs up to temperature. Mediums are even harder to get up to temp.

Anyways, that Horner team rarely misses something. So I'd be surprised that they didn't have a good reason for not trying the Med in quali. That's all I'm really saying.
The turn in issue is what gives the car it's performance. Where other cars understeer heavily mid corner, this car will just keep rotating. The chassis is setup for oversteer and so is the aero, albeit aero has been much better balanced since Mugello. McLaren has their car setup to mechanically understeer, and have good aero balance. It's easy to drive, but the potential is lower than the Renault which is going towards a neutral mechanical setup but oversteer aero. setup. It's harder to drive, but has more potential.

A pure oversteer setup is potentially faster, but much harder to drive, unless you grew up driving that way.
Saishū kōnā

godlameroso

diffuser wrote:
28 Oct 2020, 15:56
DChemTech wrote:
etusch wrote:

I'm not saying Imola is enough - I think he needs to do something special at Imola if he wants to remain in the race for a seat at all. Otherwise, it's game over there and then.

Does anyone think that if RBR had left Gasley at RBR he'd be driving like he is at AT at RBR?
He'd be doing a bit better than last year, but I don't think he'd be matching Verstappen. It takes a while to re-wire your brain when you've been conditioned to drive a certain way all your life.
Saishū kōnā

Wouter

diffuser wrote:
28 Oct 2020, 15:45
Lock2nl wrote:
28 Oct 2020, 03:10
diffuser wrote:
28 Oct 2020, 02:11

I did, well live timing.
Well, I saw him do it on yellows. So did Motorsport.com at https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/port ... p/4897691/
I think live timing had it wrong. After thinking about it. If his fastest lap in Q2 would have been on Softs, he would had to start the race on softs. My bad.

"After thinking about it." You mean after reading my post to you this morning.

"My bad." Tell that to @Sieper too, who you accused of being wrong!
The Power of Dreams!

Big Tea

The only alternative I can see is Red Bull arranging some sort of sponsored swap with another team where they take a driver and 'lend' Albon out, possibly with support.

the thing then is which team and which driver? The one that comes to mind is... Kimi?
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

diffuser

godlameroso wrote:
28 Oct 2020, 15:58
diffuser wrote:
28 Oct 2020, 15:39
Sieper wrote:

The turn in issue is what gives the car it's performance. Where other cars understeer heavily mid corner, this car will just keep rotating. The chassis is setup for oversteer and so is the aero, albeit aero has been much better balanced since Mugello. McLaren has their car setup to mechanically understeer, and have good aero balance. It's easy to drive, but the potential is lower than the Renault which is going towards a neutral mechanical setup but oversteer aero. setup. It's harder to drive, but has more potential.

A pure oversteer setup is potentially faster, but much harder to drive, unless you grew up driving that way.
Thanks for that. I wasn't saying it was good or bad. Just pointing out that it might have factored into them not trying the mediums in quali.

ispano6

godlameroso wrote:
28 Oct 2020, 16:00
diffuser wrote:
28 Oct 2020, 15:56
DChemTech wrote:

He'd be doing a bit better than last year, but I don't think he'd be matching Verstappen. It takes a while to re-wire your brain when you've been conditioned to drive a certain way all your life.
Honda and RedBull have data that indicates when Albon is confident in the car that he can match Verstappen closely. It seems they think Albon is a driver with a driving style closer to Verstappen and that Gasly wasn't as close in the same machinery. Albon is in a confidence slump and with tracks he's relatively new to and tires that don't give him the grip he needs suffers quite a bit. Imola will probably be a tough race as would the Turkish GP since he's probably not as experienced on those tracks either. A track like Silverstone or Suzuka would be a different story.

Jaisonas

LHamilton wrote:
28 Oct 2020, 15:14
In regards to the Alpha Tauri seat, I think it would be wise to give Tsunoda another year at F2, if Albon were to get dropped from RB. Because if Gasly thinks of leaving the Red Bull programme, break free and join another team in 2022, at least Red Bull/Alpha Tauri would have more data between Gasly - Albon, which could be useful if Albon - Tsunoda are the drivers for Alpha Tauri in 2022.

And Tsunoda with another year at F2, doesn't get rushed into F1. Obviously every driver is different, but we have seen what might happen to a driver if he gets rushed into a situation for which he might feel uncomfortable. He is still young, so one more year at F2 won't do him harm. Heck, it might give Red Bull some useful information in his progression and learning curve, being in one category for more than one year.
I dont think Tsunoda will wait if he has the superlicense, Honda wants him to drive while they're there still. So its 2021 or nothing.