Imola 1994 French documentary crew footage and SKYF1

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
gold333

Imola 1994 French documentary crew footage and SKYF1

Wow. SKYF1 The Race to Perfection S01E04 has some amazing Imola 1994 footage.

Schumacher pointing at the hole in the monocoque of the Simtek S941.

Although they have hidden the fact (at 52:04s) that Eurosport showed CPR was being performed on Ratzenberger at Tosa, causing Senna to leave the garage.

More conversation between Senna and his team (D.Brown, A.Newey, etc.) is there. It's from the same batch (lenses, film stock) as that used in Senna 2010. I remember it was a French documentary film crew that was tasked with filming a Senna documentary at Imola 1994. I can not remember the company name. Sky F1 has seemingly gotten some of that footage to use in Race to Perfection.

What intrigues me more than SKYF1 this series is the provenance of this footage.

Japanese broadcasts also had interesting footage in 1994 that was never shown to English speaking media where during the wait for the restart of the 1994 Imola GP Schumacher and Hill were seen to be making bottoming out movements with their hands.

Did Bernie really keep all thislocked away and sold it $30,000 per minute to people (what I heard from the makers of the 2010 Senna movie).

If so what a great shame. The past 3 years (the sale) have given me a feeling that more and more footage is becoming available than I've seen in the past 30 years.
S01E04 (like the other episodes) really took me back to Imola 1994 as a "fly on the wall".

Only the Senna 2010 documentary had done that before.

I really wonder what more footage is available? I know the footage of Ayrton in the Williams garage when he is debriefing David Brown and Newey, and when he reacts to Ratzenberger's and Barrichello's accidents were filmed by a French TV documentary crew in 1994. I forgot their name though.

Anyone have more info on these two French guys who shot the documentary with Senna in his last day in the garage?
F1 car width now 2.0m (same as 1993-1997). Lets go crazy and bring the 2.2m cars back (<1992).

Jolle

Re: Imola 1994 French documentary crew footage and SKYF1

on a different note that all the bad things about 1994..... good way to make old races look fast: speed up the clips (all the video is around 25% faster than it should be)

gold333

Jolle wrote:
22 Oct 2020, 00:37
on a different note that all the bad things about 1994..... good way to make old races look fast: speed up the clips (all the video is around 25% faster than it should be)

The seconds on screen run identical to reality. I guess the cars were really that fast back then.

14:06s

Which makes sense, Hamilton (2017) and Senna (1991) top speeds during their pole position laps were identical on the back straight at Suzuka (to 1 kph). 314-315kph. 26 years apart and the same top speed to 1 kph.

https: //www.youtube.com/watch?v=hDYH8gsNga4
https: //www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Gs2h924smY
F1 car width now 2.0m (same as 1993-1997). Lets go crazy and bring the 2.2m cars back (<1992).

NathanOlder

One thing I really hate is how awful the onboard from Senna's car is!

Here are a couple of grabs from a year earlier in the Mclaren , you can see so much more than in the final lap at Imola! If we could see properly the onboard from Imola it would answer a lot of questions that people may have .

Even the quality varies in 94 at Williams. In Brazil, it looked great, in Aida it wasnt as good but it wasnt cropped like Imola.

Brazil

Aida
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

favieremark

I'm a brazilian journalist who talked with some people from Imola and F1. Years ao P&G tried to get some images from archives of FOM and them they found out that they have the Senna impact full onboard on HQ.

They will only be showed after some years cuz of Williams, Bernie, FOM, FIA fault on Senna death after Ratzenberger death on the track and the manipulation to move him to the hospital to not cancel the event.

NathanOlder

favieremark wrote:
31 Oct 2020, 13:46
I'm a brazilian journalist who talked with some people from Imola and F1. Years ao P&G tried to get some images from archives of FOM and them they found out that they have the Senna impact full onboard on HQ.

They will only be showed after some years cuz of Williams, Bernie, FOM, FIA fault on Senna death after Ratzenberger death on the track and the manipulation to move him to the hospital to not cancel the event.
I hope I see the day that these said video's are released. For the last 26yrs I feel I have been cheated by F1 over all this. With Frank being 78, Max being 80 and Bernie being 90. Surely it wont be long before this story can be finally finished?
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

Manoah2u

NathanOlder wrote:
31 Oct 2020, 17:25
favieremark wrote:

I hope I see the day that these said video's are released. For the last 26yrs I feel I have been cheated by F1 over all this. With Frank being 78, Max being 80 and Bernie being 90. Surely it wont be long before this story can be finally finished?
I don't think the Senna foundation would approve showing HQ footage of the great legend's death in all sharp glory.
Also i think to even want to see that is not only a gigantic human flaw, but also greatly disrespectful and morally undefendable. Imagine it's your own mother or father or child.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

Jolle

Is this a new attempt to dig up an old conspiracy theory?
Go out and read Adrien Newey’s book.

NathanOlder

Manoah2u wrote:
03 Nov 2020, 21:25
NathanOlder wrote:
31 Oct 2020, 17:25
favieremark wrote:

I don't think the Senna foundation would approve showing HQ footage of the great legend's death in all sharp glory.
Also i think to even want to see that is not only a gigantic human flaw, but also greatly disrespectful and morally undefendable. Imagine it's your own mother or father or child.
I dont want to see the end of the video, id like to just see what is already available but in decent quality and uncropped.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

NathanOlder

Jolle wrote:
03 Nov 2020, 21:34
Hate to say it but...... I can't go out. the country is about to be locked down :?

In all seriousness though, I still don't believe the bottoming out theory. The car was sparking in those exact spots all weekend.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

Jolle

NathanOlder wrote:
03 Nov 2020, 21:47
Jolle wrote:
Hate to say it but...... I can't go out. the country is about to be locked down :?

In all seriousness though, I still don't believe the bottoming out theory. The car was sparking in those exact spots all weekend.
amazon it then... it goes in quite detail about the Senna accident, more then just bottoming out.

NathanOlder

Jolle wrote:
03 Nov 2020, 23:08
NathanOlder wrote:
Jolle wrote:

amazon it then... it goes in quite detail about the Senna accident, more then just bottoming out.
On it now. got it downloaded and will start it tonight.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

NathanOlder

Jolle wrote:
NathanOlder wrote:
Jolle wrote:

Well, Im well in to this book now. And Im at the point of 94 Imola. The first 2 things I would like to comment on is , Newey claims Senna was using a tighter line through Tamburello than other drivers (he mentions Hill being a driver to use a different line) when watching the onboard from Hill on that lap (lap 7) Damon is on a tight line , exactly where Senna and Schumacher were so I feel this is a lie.

Then Newey says from the onboard of Schumacher you can see the rear of Senna's car stepping out and then he goes off. After watching the footage on YouTube , I dont see the rear stepping out. I see the car just going straight on.

Newey doesnt say it was the car bottoming out, he says he thinks it was. So it seems even he isnt sure ? Dont get me wrong, Im not blaming anyone for this crash. Its an accident in motorsport, it happens. No one deserves to go to prison ect ect. Its just with the way the law was in Italy, it meant the truth was unlikely to come out.

Here is some onboard to watch on the points I made

GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

Jolle

NathanOlder wrote:
09 Nov 2020, 17:40
Jolle wrote:
NathanOlder wrote:

Well, Im well in to this book now. And Im at the point of 94 Imola. The first 2 things I would like to comment on is , Newey claims Senna was using a tighter line through Tamburello than other drivers (he mentions Hill being a driver to use a different line) when watching the onboard from Hill on that lap (lap 7) Damon is on a tight line , exactly where Senna and Schumacher were so I feel this is a lie.

Then Newey says from the onboard of Schumacher you can see the rear of Senna's car stepping out and then he goes off. After watching the footage on YouTube , I dont see the rear stepping out. I see the car just going straight on.

Newey doesnt say it was the car bottoming out, he says he thinks it was. So it seems even he isnt sure ? Dont get me wrong, Im not blaming anyone for this crash. Its an accident in motorsport, it happens. No one deserves to go to prison ect ect. Its just with the way the law was in Italy, it meant the truth was unlikely to come out.

Here is some onboard to watch on the points I made

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8qYXVfY ... heseVINYLS
He said a bit more. The car had a problem with a stalling floor, especially around the sidepods and against advise Senna ran the car lower and lower to try to regain some aero performance.

NathanOlder

Yeah true. I still remember seeing the car spark at those points on every lap I saw the car run through there, including Saturdays running.

He also says the steering column was fatigued before the impact, and they cut the column and put a thinner piece in that wasn't thicker walled like it should have been. There are so so many things pointing as coloumn failure, including all the videos from Senna's car.

The fact they showed this in their defence is amazing. I've never seen a car (racing or road) have this much flex in the coloumn.

If it moves this much, and they are metal parts, what will happen? they snap.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.