2020 Emilia Romagna Grand Prix - Imola, Oct 31 - Nov 01

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
dans79

Re: 2020 Emilia Romagna Grand Prix - Imola, Oct 31 - Nov 01

Phil wrote:
04 Nov 2020, 17:02
Isn't this whole discussion about unlapping a bit moot? The goal of a GP is to do the mileage. If you don't unlap the cars and simply add some fancy math, they will not have done the mileage when they cross the line. I think part of the achievement of a GP is doing the entire mileage, not cutting them short by a lap.
If memory serves, if you are a lap or more down at the end of the race, you don't have to complete the laps you are down by once the leader crosses the line! So at best, letting cars unlap themselves is at best a partial solution.
197 104 103 7

nzjrs

dans79 wrote:
04 Nov 2020, 17:06
Phil wrote:
04 Nov 2020, 17:02
Isn't this whole discussion about unlapping a bit moot? The goal of a GP is to do the mileage. If you don't unlap the cars and simply add some fancy math, they will not have done the mileage when they cross the line. I think part of the achievement of a GP is doing the entire mileage, not cutting them short by a lap.
If memory serves, if you are a lap or more down at the end of the race, you don't have to complete the laps you are down by once the leader crosses the line! So at best, letting cars unlap themselves is at best a partial solution.
While on this point, does anyone know when this changed (you just have to finish the lap you are on when once the leader passes the checkered flag)? Was it ever that everyone had to do the mileage?

i70q7m7ghw

SiLo wrote:
03 Nov 2020, 17:13
Diesel wrote:
02 Nov 2020, 01:09
SiLo wrote:
01 Nov 2020, 23:41
Don't understand why they dont just tell lapped cars to drop to the back of the pack and then add a lap on, would be much safer
The timing system can't deal with that, it's been suggested several times in the past and that's always the reason they give.
So update it? It's 2020 not 1995
It's not just some bit of code running on Masi's laptop, it's based on the telemetry/transponder data streamed from the cars during the race. It's not as easy as just adding/removing the lap, the telemetry for the lap needs to exist.
Last edited by i70q7m7ghw on 04 Nov 2020, 23:36, edited 1 time in total.

i70q7m7ghw

Manoah2u wrote:
03 Nov 2020, 20:54
Big Tea wrote:
03 Nov 2020, 20:06
Why not have all lapped cars enter the pit lane as the 'parade' passes, then release them 20 seconds after the last car on the prime lap passes?
They will then have a delta to maintain position until restart.
Can be done with in 2 laps.
unfair advantage for the competition, the lapped cars will have colder tires.
that's what they'd say i'm sure of it.

indeed i think the best way is to have the lapped cars drop back, then qeue up.
a good programmer would fix any 'lap' issues without a problem.
I don't see the complicated issues either.
then again, what are we really talking about. 2 1/2 minutes, tops?
what's really the big fuss about?
It's significantly more complicated than just moving some numbers around in the code used for the live timing you watch on the F1 website. There's a fantastic post on this very forum that goes into detail on how timing systems work in motorsport https://www.f1technical.net/forum/viewt ... 25#p703625

mzso

Is it me or does it look awfully suspicious that the VSC was orchestrated to favor Hamilton? They waited a lot before calling it, right when Hamilton was near the pit entry.
And as soon as his tire change was done, they lifted it.

mzso

Diesel wrote:
04 Nov 2020, 23:09
SiLo wrote:
03 Nov 2020, 17:13
Diesel wrote:
02 Nov 2020, 01:09

The timing system can't deal with that, it's been suggested several times in the past and that's always the reason they give.
So update it? It's 2020 not 1995
It's not just some bit of code running on Masi's laptop, it's based on the telemetry/transponder data streamed from the cars during the race. It's not as easy as just adding/removing the lap, the telemetry for the lap needs to exist.
I think driver confusion is bigger issue. One or two was lapped twice the others once. And they each need to drop back. They need to find who to drop back behind who also goes back behind some other driver (unless it's the first lapped driver). I would expect huge lame confusions, maybe some contact as well.

i70q7m7ghw

Thinking about it a bit more, it might be possible to do it as a restart i.e. "reset" the race as if it was restarting after a red flag.

wesley123

mzso wrote:
04 Nov 2020, 23:44
Is it me or does it look awfully suspicious that the VSC was orchestrated to favor Hamilton? They waited a lot before calling it, right when Hamilton was near the pit entry.
Afaik it is automatically a VSC if there are marshalls on track. If a car is in neutral and close to a post so it can be away from the track quickly the VSC would be very short.

I find it difficult to believe it was 'orchestrated' when;
1. Hamilton pulled the required gap
2. Bottas was slow as f*** on the hard tire
3. Hamilton received some questionable penalties earlier this season.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

mzso

wesley123 wrote:
05 Nov 2020, 01:38
mzso wrote:
Afaik it is automatically a VSC if there are marshalls on track. If a car is in neutral and close to a post so it can be away from the track quickly the VSC would be very short.
Yet they waited a lot of time before going to VSC. Right until the time Hamilton was approaching the pit entry.

wesley123

So? It happens, sometimes drivers get lucky under a VSC. But like I said, there was literally no point to 'favor' Hamilton to begin with
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

Just_a_fan

mzso wrote:
05 Nov 2020, 01:46
wesley123 wrote:
mzso wrote:
Yet they waited a lot of time before going to VSC. Right until the time Hamilton was approaching the pit entry.
Is this the same race director that penalised Hamilton only recently for safety car issue and practice start infractions? Or is it only a conspiracy when you think it helps Hamilton?
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

SiLo

Just_a_fan wrote:
05 Nov 2020, 02:08
mzso wrote:
wesley123 wrote:

Is this the same race director that penalised Hamilton only recently for safety car issue and practice start infractions? Or is it only a conspiracy when you think it helps Hamilton?
The cognitive dissonance is astounding sometimes.
Felipe Baby!

mzso

Just_a_fan wrote:
mzso wrote:
wesley123 wrote:

Somehow SCs are always to the gain of Hamilton.
As for obviously breaking a rule, of they're gonna punish anyone, other teams would go to court.

El Scorchio

mzso wrote:
05 Nov 2020, 16:17
Just_a_fan wrote:
mzso wrote:

Somehow SCs are always to the gain of Hamilton.
As for obviously breaking a rule, of they're gonna punish anyone, other teams would go to court.
That's not true. Most of them earlier in the season tended to constantly erase big leads he had built over the field and gave everyone else huge second chances to get at him and give 'exciting' finishes to races. Off the top of my head combined with other things a couple of safety cars have cost him positions and points.

I happen to think they were very trigger happy with full SC early in the season for the reason of artificially bunching up the field.

The VSC in Imola was well timed for him but the full SC was definitely not as he'd just gone past the pit lane and he caught it up. I think he only narrowly avoided the choice of either not pitting which would be a huge disadvantage, or pitting but losing positions.

It's a coin flip. He lucked out in Imola, but luck is all it was.

Sieper

It is also normal that any SC will always kill the lead of all front runners, not just Hamilton. That is not bad luck. As soon as a SC comes your lead is eliminated. You cannot luck out of that.