[ 2020 ] Scuderia Alpha Tauri - Honda

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
velizare

Re: [ 2020 ] Scuderia Alpha Tauri - Honda

nzjrs wrote:
01 Nov 2020, 16:08
velizare wrote:
01 Nov 2020, 16:07
what was the issue with gasly's car?
He said water pressure in a German interview.
thanks.

Wouter

Drivers and Team’s reaction after the race

Daniil Kvyat (AT01-02, Car 26)
Race: Pos. 4th =D>
Emilia-Romagna Grand Prix 2020 with Daniil Kvyat by Scuderia AlphaTauri

“It was a very good and fun race, the car felt amazing and I really enjoyed myself out there! The Safety Car restart was very important, and I managed to overtake a few cars on that lap. Unfortunately, Daniel managed to warm up his tyres so even if I pushed very hard until the end to overtake him, I just missed out on the final podium spot. It’s a shame but I’m still very satisfied with my driving and happy with the team’s job. We recovered small points to Ferrari in the Constructors’ Championship, so I hope we can give them a little fight until the end.”

Pierre Gasly (AT01-01, Car 10)
Race: DNF
Emilia-Romagna GP 2020 with Pierre Gasly by Scuderia AlphaTauri

“This one is quite difficult to take. I had a great start and tried to go alongside Lewis, but he decided to close the door quite hard and I had to back off and lost one position to Daniel, but after that, I felt really good in the car and we were running in P5. The guys spotted a drop of water pressure on the laps to the grid before the race, they tried everything to fix it but unfortunately, we had to retire the car after a few laps. It’s very sad because there was a big opportunity for us today. The whole weekend went so well, it was the best practice and the best Qualifying we’ve had and the car felt very strong from the beginning. It’s never nice to retire, but it’s especially tough here in Imola for our home race, because we knew there was a potential top-five result on the table.”

Franz Tost (Team Principal):

“It was a fantastic feeling to be here in Imola at our home track. We enjoyed yesterday’s Qualifying, as it was our most successful one this season so far, finishing P4 with Pierre and P8 with Daniil. Both of them had a good start to the race. Pierre got blocked by Hamilton before the first corner so Ricciardo was able to overtake him, which put Pierre back into fifth. Unfortunately, a radiator failure put a stop to his race. It’s a shame as I’m sure he could have achieved a very good result today. As for Daniil, he had a good race today, he spent quite a while in eighth position until we decided to bring him in on lap 14 while he was in sixth, to put him on the Base tyre. From then on, he did very fast lap times and was one of the fastest on track. He was able to control Sainz quite well and he was closing the gap to Albon. On lap 55, the Safety Car was deployed and we decided to bring him in for the Option tyre, which was a fantastic decision from the strategy group because this allowed Daniil to overtake Perez and Albon immediately before the first corner, followed by Leclerc a few corners later. At that stage, Daniil was in P4, but unfortunately, the race finished too early – he would have needed another couple of laps to overtake Ricciardo. Nevertheless, fourth is the best race result for Daniil this year, and the team showed a very good performance in both Qualifying and the race. I think we are well prepared for the remaining races of the season and we’re looking forward to going to Istanbul to continue our momentum.”
The Power of Dreams!

Wouter

Franz Tost gives Ted Kravitz a tour of the AlphaTauri factory

https://www.streamable.com/s/zd9q9x/dihwfh
The Power of Dreams!

Wouter

=D> =D> =D>

The Power of Dreams!

Thunder18

ispano6 wrote:
01 Nov 2020, 16:37
Hopefully not a coolant leak due to a pierced radiator. Seemed that there was an issue before the race? You would think by now they would avoid such issues that would lead to DNFs. GUTTED for Gasly but Kvyat showed some class and put the AT where it belonged.
Regarding the coolant leak, we're seeing more tracks with gravel getting thrown up, so I wonder if this is issue. You then have cool down after qualy, then the warm up which can induce further damage due to expansion.

nzjrs

Thunder18 wrote:
02 Nov 2020, 13:59
ispano6 wrote:
Hopefully not a coolant leak due to a pierced radiator. Seemed that there was an issue before the race? You would think by now they would avoid such issues that would lead to DNFs. GUTTED for Gasly but Kvyat showed some class and put the AT where it belonged.
Regarding the coolant leak, we're seeing more tracks with gravel getting thrown up, so I wonder if this is issue. You then have cool down after qualy, then the warm up which can induce further damage due to expansion.
Is water pressure and coolant leak synonymous? I don't know the details of the cooling architecture on AT. Can someone share?

GhostF1

nzjrs wrote:
02 Nov 2020, 14:36
Thunder18 wrote:
02 Nov 2020, 13:59
ispano6 wrote:
Is water pressure and coolant leak synonymous? I don't know the details of the cooling architecture on AT. Can someone share?
Pressure loss was due to a coolant leak which Honda said was from a radiator failure.

diffuser

The water is sealed so as the motor warms it creates pressure. The amount pressure at a given temp is consistent. If the temperature is constant and the pressure is dropping, you got a leak.

We sometimes call it water but it is really a coolant. It is a bunch of other stuff to change boiling points, lubrication and a host of other reasons.

nzjrs

Thanks!

Big Tea

The AT seems prone to radiator damage, is the position unique to this car or just bad luck?
Or possibly a tenancy to co
coincide locationally with the gravel?
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

Wouter

Yuki at Imola today. He has to drive 300km because he has no 25 license points yet (needed for a FP),
so he can take part of a Free Practice in Bahrain or Abu Dhabi if needed.

The Power of Dreams!

Wouter

One of the sporadic photos of Daniil with his daughter Penelope.
She was in Brazil with her mother Kelly for almost a year. :(

The Power of Dreams!

Wouter

Last edited by Wouter on 04 Nov 2020, 20:02, edited 1 time in total.
The Power of Dreams!

Wouter

Mission accomplished!

At the end of a very productive Test, today in Imola, here are Yuki Tsunoda and Franz Tost’s comments.

Yuki Tsunoda:

“Today’s session, my first time in a Formula 1 car, was great fun. It was a whole different world to the F2 car I am racing this year, especially in terms of the increased power and also the braking performance. I didn’t worry about my lap times, I just focused on getting used to the F1 car and completing the 300 kilometres. I’m pleased to have managed it. I did a lot of physical training to prepare for this, but even so, I was a little bit tired at the end of the day, but very happy with the experience. There is so much more a driver has to do in an F1 car, but I had practiced dealing with all the extra switches on the steering wheel in the simulator. I have been talking with the Scuderia AlphaTauri engineers since last month when I had the seat fitting. They are a friendly group and we established a good relationship. Of course, when it came to discussing the Honda PU, I could talk in Japanese, which made it quite straightforward. Overall, the day was great fun and part of that came from having this session at the high speed Imola track, which made it even more interesting. Ahead of me are two more F2 rounds, four more races and I will just concentrate on each session over the two weekends and then we can see what the result is at the end of it all.”

Franz Tost (Team Principal):

“We had a very productive first test here in Imola with Yuki Tsunoda and we were able to complete 352km. It was a bit damp in the morning, so we started the day on full wet tyres. Even so, Yuki got immediately familiar with the car, which means that when we changed to the dry tyres he improved his lap times straight away and it was quite impressive. After the lunch break we continued on with new sets of tyres and he improved further, showing that he was feeling more comfortable in the car, lap by lap. Yuki gave valuable technical feedback regarding the behaviour of the car, which was in line with what we expected. In his last run, he did a race simulation and he was very consistent, which is clear evidence he had everything under control. We are looking forward to his next test in Abu Dhabi, when he will be doing the young driver test for Scuderia AlphaTauri.”
The Power of Dreams!

Wouter

Yuki says that he is very proud of his new helmet,
which was specially designed by someone at AlphaTauri.
この機会を作ってくれた @AlphaTauriF1 @redbullracing @HondaRacingF1
の大勢の皆さんに感謝です
めっちゃかっこいいです 8)

The Power of Dreams!