Saudi Arabian Grand Prix in 2021

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
MtthsMlw

Saudi Arabian Grand Prix in 2021

El Scorchio

Re: Saudi Arabian Grand Prix in 2021

There will be a lot of debate about the ethics of this, but money talks I guess....

I just hope whatever the circuit looks like that it can provide entertaining races. I know it's a street circuit so my hopes are not high.

Holm86

As much as I would like as many races as possible, I think this is hypocritical, after the "we race as one" campaign this year ...

Moore77

Holm86 wrote:
05 Nov 2020, 17:16
As much as I would like as many races as possible, I think this is hypocritical, after the "we race as one" campaign this year ...
What exactly is the problem?
Gangdom: Pom, Tom, Loverboy, Boomer.

Holm86

Moore77 wrote:
05 Nov 2020, 17:20
Holm86 wrote:
05 Nov 2020, 17:16
What exactly is the problem?
Beside their total disregard of human rights??

Holm86

The FIA is guided by the Fundamental Principles of its Statutes, including the fight against any form of discrimination and notably on account of skin colour, gender, religion, ethnic or social origin. We must promote diversity in motor sport.
Lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender (LGBT) people in Saudi Arabia face legal challenges not experienced by non-LGBT residents. Both male and female same-sex sexual activity is illegal. LGBT rights are not recognized by the government of Saudi Arabia. The Saudi social mores and laws are heavily influenced by ultra-conservative Muslims. Homosexuality and being transgender are widely seen as immoral and indecent activities, and the law punishes acts of homosexuality or cross-dressing with punishments of fines, prison time up to life,[1] and capital punishment.[3]

Moore77

Holm86 wrote:
05 Nov 2020, 17:28
The FIA is guided by the Fundamental Principles of its Statutes, including the fight against any form of discrimination and notably on account of skin colour, gender, religion, ethnic or social origin. We must promote diversity in motor sport.
Lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender (LGBT) people in Saudi Arabia face legal challenges not experienced by non-LGBT residents. Both male and female same-sex sexual activity is illegal. LGBT rights are not recognized by the government of Saudi Arabia. The Saudi social mores and laws are heavily influenced by ultra-conservative Muslims. Homosexuality and being transgender are widely seen as immoral and indecent activities, and the law punishes acts of homosexuality or cross-dressing with punishments of fines, prison time up to life,[1] and capital punishment.[3]
Regardless which form of discrimination or rights violation happens, it's a problem. Saudi Arabia fares no worse than many other countries where F1 goes racing. Either F1 should stop visiting all those countries OR simply ignore what all the human rights watch dogs publishes.

Gangdom: Pom, Tom, Loverboy, Boomer.

6 of 12

Shame. I like a new track and I like that it is in a new place. But I don't understand how a systematically discriminatory country can be considered against the backdrop of #weraceasone. I wonder what Lewis will have to say about that. Does he not have a Jesus tattoo somewhere? Will he be allowed to enter the country?
No, Kimi, no. You will not have the drink.

6 of 12

Regardless which form of discrimination or rights violation happens, it's a problem. Saudi Arabia fares no worse than many other countries where F1 goes racing. Either F1 should stop visiting all those countries OR simply ignore what all the human rights watch dogs publishes.
Looking at the map, that would mean that we'll get a season like this year +Canada +Australia and -Turkey -Russia. Don't sound too bad :lol: :lol: :lol:
No, Kimi, no. You will not have the drink.

nzjrs

Just checked, flight and accommodation prices look pretty good. Sounds like a cheaper Bahrain night race possibility.

LHamilton

You could see this on both ways. One is that F1 is ignoring the importance of human rights etc., which has already been discussed. But it can also be a statement of intent, that we go to a vunerable place to voice our (shared opinion on human rights) opinion about the subject at hand. Sometimes it's better to voice an opinion in a loud matter, rather than "simply" ignore the subject, to SOME extent, and not go to that country. I know you make a point by not going to a certain country to point out values. But I fear those voices tend to fade out. Perhaps this is F1s way of the 'BLM'-movement. An intention of actually making a difference.

El Scorchio

LHamilton wrote:
05 Nov 2020, 18:52
You could see this on both ways. One is that F1 is ignoring the importance of human rights etc., which has already been discussed. But it can also be a statement of intent, that we go to a vunerable place to voice our (shared opinion on human rights) opinion about the subject at hand. Sometimes it's better to voice an opinion in a loud matter, rather than "simply" ignore the subject, to SOME extent, and not go to that country. I know you make a point by not going to a certain country to point out values. But I fear those voices tend to fade out. Perhaps this is F1s way of the 'BLM'-movement. An intention of actually making a difference.
That or the Saudis offered them an absolute shedload of money.
Of course the trend away from 'traditional' race countries and venues has pretty much been financially driven- i.e. which country is willing to pay the whacking great fees to host an F1 race. I'd say maybe having a race is more a marketing ploy on the part of the country to improve it's 'brand'/image internationally than any sort of statement from F1. It's not like F1 can or will do anything whatsoever to change the politics anywhere. It's not like they say 'We'll give you a race but sort out your human rights issues'. I think they are more likely turning a blind eye in the pursuit of dollar. Although what these countries are paying probably keeps the sport afloat, to a large extent, so.....

LM10

LHamilton wrote:
05 Nov 2020, 18:52
Sure... :lol:

It’s the smell of some fresh money which led F1 to this move. Nothing else.

aral

Some posts have been removed as they were becoming political. Please keep politics out of this thread.

RaceFan1

Will Lewis Hamilton have the stones to protest or take a stand against the Saudi race or is he a social media diva more interested in follows and money?