Vietnam cancelled for 2021. May never race there ever.

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
toraabe

Re: Vietnam cancelled for 2021. May never race there ever.

Absolutely. Top. 5

SmallSoldier

Just_a_fan wrote:
El Scorchio wrote:
10 Nov 2020, 12:12
Just_a_fan wrote:
10 Nov 2020, 11:15
And it does make sense for F1 purely in a business/money sense as well. Go where the money is. It's just a shame that it comes at the expense of some great and traditional European races which don't get government or immense private financial backing.
It doesn't make sense if it results in people being turned off the sport, however. There's no prestige for these places if there's no one watching because the tracks result in poor racing.
If great racing is what we are after... Why is Monaco still in the calendar?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just_a_fan

SmallSoldier wrote:
11 Nov 2020, 23:19
Just_a_fan wrote:
El Scorchio wrote:

And it does make sense for F1 purely in a business/money sense as well. Go where the money is. It's just a shame that it comes at the expense of some great and traditional European races which don't get government or immense private financial backing.
It doesn't make sense if it results in people being turned off the sport, however. There's no prestige for these places if there's no one watching because the tracks result in poor racing.

Great question. I'm on record (i.e. I've said it here before) that I think Monaco is a rubbish and shouldn't be included in the calendar. Sure, if you want spectacle, have it as a mid season jaunt, but it's entirely pointless as a race unless something odd happens such as the 1996 race (Panis won, only the podium finishers actually finished the race). It can be fun watching qualifying - flat out around Monaco is just bad ass, but as a race? No way!
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Edax

Just_a_fan wrote:
We have Bernie to thank for the rise of these weird races. He managed to set up a model where the circuits paid F1 to use their facilities. Think about it - it's the equivalent of going on holiday and having the hotel pay you to stay there.

Quite why anyone fell for it is beyond me. I guess there were enough egotistical leaders in enough countries that were happy to pay Bernie in order to make themselves look good. Once that route had been opened up, the traditional circuits were at risk and some were lost from the calendar.

Why go to Vietnam, or Saudi Arabia or Bahrain when we can use classic tracks like Imola? Only one reason - the leaders of those countries are willing to pay for the reflected glory that hosting an F1 race brings to them (or they think it does).
I think that in itself is no issue. Newbuilt tracks do not have to be boring per se. I like Austin for instance.

Problem is I think that with the requirements for road, air access and hospitality, you inevitably end up with a piece of industrial wasteland near a major city. There is only so much you can do with that. If that was the case in the past the Belgian GP would have run in Antwerpen Harbor instead of Spa.

I am sure Vietnam would be able to design a great track. Imagine a jungle track in the mountains. Heck they could design the track to run trough a cave or under a waterfall or something crazy. Wouldn’t that be something?

I am not sure where this push for practicality is coming from. The way Bernie has been complaining about the road access at Silverstone and Spa it would not surprise me if F1 is the problem and not these countries.

wunderkind

Monaco is all about glamour. It's the only race on the calendar where racing, and the actual quality of racing, takes second place to trackside activities.

Mogster

I enjoy Monaco, I love watching the cars there, the onboards are fantastic. It’s a driving challenge that rewards accuracy and risk taking when those elements are being lost as most of the venues have acres of tarmac run off. Monaco qualifying is one of my favourite things about F1, I enjoy the race also, it’s long, highly tactical but you always feel something could happen due to the nature of the circuit.

I wouldn’t want several venues like Monaco on the calendar but as it is it brings something different. I’d be sad to see it go, but I think that’s unlikely.

falonso81

A perfect calendar would be: Sepang, Nurburgring, Imola, Portimao, Mugello, Spa, Austria, Hungaroring, Montreal, Austin, Monza, Suzuka, Bahrain, Silverstone, Interlagos, Fuji, Instabul, Shangai.

adrianjordan

Is it possible that Mugello and Portimao produced such good races because they were relatively unknown to the teams?
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

Shrieker

adrianjordan wrote:
13 Nov 2020, 03:03
Is it possible that Mugello and Portimao produced such good races because they were relatively unknown to the teams?
Exactly my thoughts. And in Portimao's case, slippery conditions.
Education is that which allows a nation free, independent, reputable life, and function as a high society; or it condemns it to captivity and poverty.
-Atatürk

Mogster

Edax wrote:
12 Nov 2020, 01:40
Just_a_fan wrote:
We have Bernie to thank for the rise of these weird races. He managed to set up a model where the circuits paid F1 to use their facilities. Think about it - it's the equivalent of going on holiday and having the hotel pay you to stay there.

Quite why anyone fell for it is beyond me. I guess there were enough egotistical leaders in enough countries that were happy to pay Bernie in order to make themselves look good. Once that route had been opened up, the traditional circuits were at risk and some were lost from the calendar.

Why go to Vietnam, or Saudi Arabia or Bahrain when we can use classic tracks like Imola? Only one reason - the leaders of those countries are willing to pay for the reflected glory that hosting an F1 race brings to them (or they think it does).
I think that in itself is no issue. Newbuilt tracks do not have to be boring per se. I like Austin for instance.

Problem is I think that with the requirements for road, air access and hospitality, you inevitably end up with a piece of industrial wasteland near a major city. There is only so much you can do with that. If that was the case in the past the Belgian GP would have run in Antwerpen Harbor instead of Spa.

I am sure Vietnam would be able to design a great track. Imagine a jungle track in the mountains. Heck they could design the track to run trough a cave or under a waterfall or something crazy. Wouldn’t that be something?

I am not sure where this push for practicality is coming from. The way Bernie has been complaining about the road access at Silverstone and Spa it would not surprise me if F1 is the problem and not these countries.
That’s the thing that disappointed me most about the “Circuit of Wales” fiasco. The terrain and proposed layout actually looked to be creating an interesting grade 1 track. Probably more suited to bikes and tin tops rather than current F1 but an interesting layout nontheless.

Racer X

SmallSoldier wrote:
Just_a_fan wrote:
El Scorchio wrote:

But Monaco actually proves the point that F1 Follows the money.

Monaco used to be amazing being fast in Monaco meant you had guts/valor and technical ability. So in the past it was the great street circuit. So let's keep that in mind.

However times have changed and now Monaco is nothing more then a parade of fast cars.

Like a Race week for the rich of Monaco.

But see the thing there is it's well backed and has money.

That's why we still race in Monaco. Just like Silverstone except Silverstone is STILL great.

So what old tracks need to remain is money sadly which proves your points.

If they can get money and have great history like Silverstone then nobody will move them from the calendar.

But sadly the inverse is also true if they have money they will put them on the calendar.
RedBull Racing Checo//PEREZ

adrianjordan

Just_a_fan wrote:
11 Nov 2020, 23:28
SmallSoldier wrote:
Just_a_fan wrote: It doesn't make sense if it results in people being turned off the sport, however. There's no prestige for these places if there's no one watching because the tracks result in poor racing.

Great question. I'm on record (i.e. I've said it here before) that I think Monaco is a rubbish and shouldn't be included in the calendar. Sure, if you want spectacle, have it as a mid season jaunt, but it's entirely pointless as a race unless something odd happens such as the 1996 race (Panis won, only the podium finishers actually finished the race). It can be fun watching qualifying - flat out around Monaco is just bad ass, but as a race? No way!
Have a time trial event there the week before or after the French GP. All the excitement of Quali but without the processional race.
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

Just_a_fan

adrianjordan wrote:
10 Feb 2021, 14:59
Just_a_fan wrote:
11 Nov 2020, 23:28
SmallSoldier wrote:

Have a time trial event there the week before or after the French GP. All the excitement of Quali but without the processional race.
Yeah, that's a nice idea. Make a thing of it being something other than a race. Have several ties per driver spread over a period during the weekend e.g. 3 runs on Saturday, 3 runs on Sunday. Average the 6 results to establish the points awarded. Then we get to see the cars flat out around Monaco - a great spectacle - without the tedium of the "race" itself.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Vasconia

falonso81 wrote:
13 Nov 2020, 01:04
A perfect calendar would be: Sepang, Nurburgring, Imola, Portimao, Mugello, Spa, Austria, Hungaroring, Montreal, Austin, Monza, Suzuka, Bahrain, Silverstone, Interlagos, Fuji, Instabul, Shangai.
I know people like Imola but it tends to be boring from my point of view. Hungaroring is fun when its wet because it becomes a extremely slippery track, with normal conditions is a big boredom. The rest is fine. :wink: