a famous marquis that produced one of the best three ever engine sounds in GP racing.

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
hollus

Re: a famous marquis that produced one of the best three ever engine sounds in GP racing.

That link plays nicely directly by clicking on it, at least for me. Both on iphone and on PC, strad. So, smooth, easy experience from this side.
Rivals, not enemies.

saviour stivala

Re: a famous marquis that produced one of the best three ever engine sounds in GP racing.

Yes. The link plays nicely by clicking on it. But having been fortunate enough to hear the V16 running in person in 1950 I can assure all on here that there is no substitute to hear that engine sound in person.

gruntguru

saviour stivala wrote:
13 Nov 2020, 21:57
. . having been fortunate enough to hear the V16 running in person in 1950 I can assure all on here that there is no substitute to hear that engine sound in person.
I am insanely jealous.

I never tire of hearing that clip. Those 93 cc cylinders have no right to sound so HUGE.

If you coupled two top-fuel engines together to make a V16 it might sound like that!
je suis charlie

saviour stivala

Agree, those 93cc cylinders had no right to sound so ‘huge’. But believe me, it was that sound that saved that faithful supposedly special 13th May day by just a few demonstration laps. At least to me.

Having travelled abroad for that occasion. (at that time travelling aboard for a GP weekend was not as common as it is today) The expectations were high driven by a media blitz the like that we will never see again, that media blitz about the expectations of just one car pushed that actual special occasion (the very first new series called F1) to second place. The royal box was even at full house with those sitting around me all excited by the royals in attendance. A couple sitting next to me were surprised when I explained that the beautiful princess and her prince sitting in that royal box were actually a within 2 km radius neighbours of mine that have their enamour nest in 2 different places one called Sant Anton palace and the other Villa Guardamangia (their favourite place), were it is said their eldest son was actually conceived. This while she was working with ‘SSAFA’. Donkey years later she famously declared ‘'The best period of my life, as it was the only time I was able to live ‘normally’''. Now that was way of topic, having let nostology take over. So apologies to all. Anyhow. Back on topic.

I don’t think any 2 different make of engine can be made to sound the same, even with the same number of cylinders. An example is the 2 next greatest engine sound to that of the BRM great sounding engine, which I also was fortunate enough to also hear in person, although at deferent times but both at the temple of speed. That of the Matra MS11 V12 and the FERRARI tipo 044 V12.

strad

I have recordings of those as well. Something to listen to when I tire of these turbo charged hybrid v6s :wink:
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

johnny comelately

Tommy Cookers wrote:
11 Nov 2020, 18:48
J.A.W. wrote:
08 Nov 2020, 00:12
Tommy Cookers wrote:
07 Nov 2020, 16:15
three V16 B.R.M. 1950 F1 cars are to be made from the original drawings still kept by the Owen family
it being the 70th anniversary of the founding of the BRM team

unless the OP has in mind some other GP car having pistons smaller than the 47.8 mm pistons of the BRM
Honda GP engines ran smaller pistons, & actually won FIM World Championships...
what a lot of smartarses !!!

the smallest GP motorcycle pistons were of course the (50cc) Suzuki twin's 32.5 mm
unless we count the never-raced 50cc GP Suzuki 3 cylinder's 28 mm
or the never-raced 50cc Fitz-Ray 4 cylinder's 25.15 mm
(Honda have never used pistons smaller than the 33 mm of the 1962 RC112/1963 RC113)
see the site classic50racingclub.co.uk

saviour stivala has again used the computer clock 'time travel' fiddle to retro-outmanoeuvre another's post
Suzuki had a 4 cylinder 50cc GP bike which did sit in a barn at Charlwood,UK

J.A.W.

saviour stivala wrote:
09 Nov 2020, 09:40
J.A.W. wrote:
08 Nov 2020, 00:12
Tommy Cookers wrote:
07 Nov 2020, 16:15
three V16 B.R.M. 1950 F1 cars are to be made from the original drawings still kept by the Owen family
it being the 70th anniversary of the founding of the BRM team

unless the OP has in mind some other GP car having pistons smaller than the 47.8 mm pistons of the BRM
Honda GP engines ran smaller pistons, & actually won FIM World Championships...
FIM stands for motocross world championship and not formula one. As far as I know, and I stand to be corrected. The smallest diameter pistons Honda ever used in their F1 engines were those used on the RA272E 1.5-LITRE V12 of 1965 having a diameter of 58.1mm and paired with a stroke of 47mm for a cylinder capacity of 124.583cc. On the other hand. The BRM type 15 1.5-LITRE V16 of 1951 used 49.5mm pistons paired with a stroke of 48.3mm for a cylinder capacity of 92.967cc.

Actually, the FIM GP World Championship for roadracing motorcycles predates the FIA GP (F1) World Championship...
"Well, we knocked the bastard off!"

Ed Hilary on being 1st to top Mt Everest,
(& 1st to do a surface traverse across Antarctica,
in good Kiwi style - riding a Massey Ferguson farm
tractor - with a few extemporised mod's to hack the task).