F1 RC 1/4 fiberglass wishbone ! has this ever been done ?! ;)

Post here information about your own engineering projects, including but not limited to building your own car or designing a virtual car through CAD.
firasf1dream

F1 RC 1/4 fiberglass wishbone ! has this ever been done ?! ;)

Hello everyone,
I am working on designing and building an F1 RC car scale 1/4 3d printed. So I came across the wishbones and decided to make them from fiberglass but making their moulds 3d printed. I don't think a fiberglass wishbone for an RC car with a wing shape has ever been done according to the internet and google. I would like to know your opinion :)
Here is the link of my blog and facebook page
https://firasf1dream.wordpress.com/2020 ... -wishbone/
https://www.facebook.com/phoenixf1p

rscsr

Re: F1 RC 1/4 fiberglass wishbone ! has this ever been done ?! ;)

firasf1dream wrote:
14 Nov 2020, 12:10
Hello everyone,
I am working on designing and building an F1 RC car scale 1/4 3d printed. So I came across the wishbones and decided to make them from fiberglass but making their moulds 3d printed. I don't think a fiberglass wishbone for an RC car with a wing shape has ever been done according to the internet and google. I would like to know your opinion :)
Here is the link of my blog and facebook page
https://firasf1dream.wordpress.com/2020 ... -wishbone/
https://www.facebook.com/phoenixf1p
I don't think you can scale a whole car and can expect good results without at least an analysis of the scaling of the parts. For example the inverse stability scales with the length squared, the area moment 2nd order scale with the dimensions to the 4th. The aero loading probably with the scale squared and speed also squared. The cornering loading decreases with the speed squared and probably increases with the square of the scale.
So I think the thickness of the wishbones should probably be more than what the scaling suggests.

firasf1dream

rscsr wrote:
14 Nov 2020, 13:13
I don't think you can scale a whole car and can expect good results without at least an analysis of the scaling of the parts. For example the inverse stability scales with the length squared, the area moment 2nd order scale with the dimensions to the 4th. The aero loading probably with the scale squared and speed also squared. The cornering loading decreases with the speed squared and probably increases with the square of the scale.
So I think the thickness of the wishbones should probably be more than what the scaling suggests.
Well I had to make a full of hand calculations using many books, I actually got fair forces acting on the car. As per the thickness of the wishbone it is around 7mm at its highest point because it is a wing shape. From the testing point of view, it seems good because it flexes but it also can withstand my 130N force on braking

Greg Locock

Many fantastic machines have been built without structural analysis, and some of them didn't break. If you ever want a laugh read the autobiography of the designer, constructor, and first pilot of the Flying Flea. As an engineer I probably over analyse things, but build and break has also featured in my work.

Basically wishbones operate in tension/compression so it is fairly easy to work out the stresses, if you know the loads (which is the usual problem). The nasty bit with composites is the hard points - how do you integrate the steel or aluminium bits into your layup. Unfortunately there's no easy answer there.

firasf1dream

Greg Locock wrote:
14 Nov 2020, 23:37
Many fantastic machines have been built without structural analysis, and some of them didn't break. If you ever want a laugh read the autobiography of the designer, constructor, and first pilot of the Flying Flea. As an engineer I probably over analyse things, but build and break has also featured in my work.

Basically wishbones operate in tension/compression so it is fairly easy to work out the stresses, if you know the loads (which is the usual problem). The nasty bit with composites is the hard points - how do you integrate the steel or aluminium bits into your layup. Unfortunately there's no easy answer there.
I will check that out

Well about the metallic bit, I don't need them here because the fiber is able to withstand the forces I have. Now if it was a real scale 1:1 car of course fiberglass won't work. I would have to make the wishbones from carbon fiber with the metallic bits especially on the chassis side