[ 2020 ] Racing Point F1 Team - Mercedes

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
wesley123

Re: [ 2020 ] Racing Point F1 Team - Mercedes

NAPI10 wrote:
03 Nov 2020, 01:27
Lawrence Stroll is moving lots of pieces in the background (potentially poaching Adrian Newey)-
https://www.grandprix247.com/2020/11/02 ... rainmaker/
If they 'get their hands on' Newey it says a lot more about Red Bulls position in F1 imo
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

raymondu999

It’s not that clear-cut, IMO. I don’t think Newey is the “jump off a sinking ship” type. But I do think given his intellectual nature he is drawn towards the allure of a brand new challenge
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Wouter

Stroll and Mazepin before Supreme Court for Force India takeover.

Lawrence Stroll's takeover of Force India in 2018 was illegal, Dmitry Mazepin said. Both billionaires wanted to take over the bankrupt team, but Stroll ultimately won.

After Force India went bankrupt, FRP Advisory was brought in to find a buyer. Both Mazepin and Stroll made offers, mainly to secure a seat in Formula 1 for their sons Nikita and Lance. Eventually, Lawrence Stroll, along with Toto Wolff, bought the team for £ 90 million (€ 101 million) and renamed the team to Racing Point.

Mazepin preyed on the team through the chemical company Uralkali and is said to have offered between 113.8 and 136.7 million euros. So more than Stroll. Because Stroll's lower offer was agreed anyway, Mazepin took legal action.

The Times is now reporting that the case will be brought to the Supreme Court in England to determine whether Uralkali suffered financial damage by missing out on the Force India purchase.
Undoubtedly to be continued! :D

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/asto ... -t2xhq2qv7
The Power of Dreams!

raymondu999

Interesting. I suspect the devil will be in the details. Did they agree to Stroll before the Mazepin offer, for example?
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

NAPI10

What a time to get ur tire strategy right for a team who struggled with the same throughout the year =D> =D> =D>

Manoah2u

Wouter wrote:
11 Nov 2020, 23:04
Stroll and Mazepin before Supreme Court for Force India takeover.

Lawrence Stroll's takeover of Force India in 2018 was illegal, Dmitry Mazepin said. Both billionaires wanted to take over the bankrupt team, but Stroll ultimately won.

After Force India went bankrupt, FRP Advisory was brought in to find a buyer. Both Mazepin and Stroll made offers, mainly to secure a seat in Formula 1 for their sons Nikita and Lance. Eventually, Lawrence Stroll, along with Toto Wolff, bought the team for £ 90 million (€ 101 million) and renamed the team to Racing Point.

Mazepin preyed on the team through the chemical company Uralkali and is said to have offered between 113.8 and 136.7 million euros. So more than Stroll. Because Stroll's lower offer was agreed anyway, Mazepin took legal action.

The Times is now reporting that the case will be brought to the Supreme Court in England to determine whether Uralkali suffered financial damage by missing out on the Force India purchase.
Undoubtedly to be continued! :D

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/asto ... -t2xhq2qv7
Sounds nonsensical to me, if it's about who bid the most, that obviously does not equal having the right to 'get' what you're bidding at, that's the decision of the seller.

Though they're obviously rich enough and have smart lawyers, i do wonder how 'wise' a move like this is in 'selling' your 'brand'. After all, there's been clear signs that Mazepin is interested in Haas, and getting lil boi Nikita a seat.
However, if you are exposing yourself as a sore loser that goes to court in a questionable situation, then i'm wondering whether any team that potentially wants to get involved doesn't decide to second-guess their future and decide to pass.

In other words: a case like this might actually cost them Haas partnership.

Then again, it can also be the other way around: perhaps they have lost their opportunity with Haas and it's been decided and since Mazepin now knows there is no future in F1, they're coming out with guns blazing.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

Racer X

To be fair Lance would not have been able to tire manage like Perez who was closing the gap to him. Changing tires was the right strategy but... Should it have been done sooner? Was it too late? I'm talking about the Turkish GP. I just want to knows people's opinions about the teams call today.
RedBull Racing Checo//PEREZ

LHamilton

Racer X wrote:
15 Nov 2020, 15:22
To be fair Lance would not have been able to tire manage like Perez who was closing the gap to him. Changing tires was the right strategy but... Should it have been done sooner? Was it too late? I'm talking about the Turkish GP. I just want to knows people's opinions about the teams call today.
Not a Perez fan huh? As you have Sergio Perez as your signature. :)

Don't think it was the right option to pit. Yes, Perez looked like handle his tyres better and would most likely passed Stroll, but perhaps a worn inter were faster than a new one. Hard to really judged since every car behaved differently.

I'm not suprised that Stroll in the end ended up behind Perez. Even though Stroll had better pace, tyre management was the name of the game today by the looks of things. At least for Racing Point.

Racer X

LHamilton wrote:
15 Nov 2020, 15:33
Racer X wrote:

Don't think it was the right option to pit. Yes, Perez looked like handle his tyres better and would most likely passed Stroll, but perhaps a worn inter were faster than a new one. Hard to really judged since every car behaved differently.

I'm not suprised that Stroll in the end ended up behind Perez. Even though Stroll had better pace, tyre management was the name of the game today by the looks of things. At least for Racing Point.
I was impressed with Perez I change my signature from time to time when I'm impressed with a driver's performance.

I was actually impressed with all of the old driver's. But I was too lazy make a full list of them.

I had thought to makes this list.
Ham/Per/Vet/Kimi/Ric

But then how could I explain that it has to do with the fact that today in Turkey it was the Veteran's that showed who the big boys were. In a signature... So instead I chose the one who most impressed me ignoring Hamilton because Hamilton winning obviously would be tied to the 7 Championships and not tied to the great rain performances of the Veteran driver's at Istanbul today.

Anyways Stroll was losing speed to Sergio when he pitted.

I'm wonder if he had pitted sooner would he have been able to come back out behind Sergio instead of into traffic.

Would that have given him enough time to bring the tires back up to temperature.

With tires and the way Hamilton and Perez ran their race.

Stroll might have been able to win.

Good job for Perez.

But I wonder if pitting Lance after they noticed Sergio gaining speed was too late.

If they missed out on a double podium with a Victory by being too slow to pit Lance.

NAPI10

Racer X wrote:
15 Nov 2020, 15:58
LHamilton wrote:
15 Nov 2020, 15:33
Racer X wrote:

I was impressed with Perez I change my signature from time to time when I'm impressed with a driver's performance.

I was actually impressed with all of the old driver's. But I was too lazy make a full list of them.

I had thought to makes this list.
Ham/Per/Vet/Kimi/Ric

But then how could I explain that it has to do with the fact that today in Turkey it was the Veteran's that showed who the big boys were. In a signature... So instead I chose the one who most impressed me ignoring Hamilton because Hamilton winning obviously would be tied to the 7 Championships and not tied to the great rain performances of the Veteran driver's at Istanbul today.

Anyways Stroll was losing speed to Sergio when he pitted.

I'm wonder if he had pitted sooner would he have been able to come back out behind Sergio instead of into traffic.

Would that have given him enough time to bring the tires back up to temperature.

With tires and the way Hamilton and Perez ran their race.

Stroll might have been able to win.

Good job for Perez.

But I wonder if pitting Lance after they noticed Sergio gaining speed was too late.

If they missed out on a double podium with a Victory by being too slow to pit Lance.
I think, result is reflective of 'Defensive drive of Sergio' vs 'Aggressive drive of Lance'.Lance wanted to get rid of Inters n switch on slicks mid-way instead Sergio wanted to take it deep.It worked out for Sergio.
Timining of Lance pitstop wouldn't have made husge difference in outcome.

Wouter

The Power of Dreams!

NAPI10

Pole in a tricky condition & superb performance in the first half of race; Lance should feel proud.
I hope this will help him to perform at the same level as the first half of the season.

Racer X

NAPI10 wrote:
16 Nov 2020, 17:00
Pole in a tricky condition & superb performance in the first half of race; Lance should feel proud.
I hope this will help him to perform at the same level as the first half of the season.
Now we see things with more clarity they could have easily had the victory with a double podium.
I knew Lance had it in him to win the Race. Hamilton would have still been up there but
Perez and Stroll were heading to a double podium.

Manoah2u

Wouter wrote:
16 Nov 2020, 16:24

Interesting, would explain a good amount.

In response to a comment above, I do believe tactically the team also made a mistake with Stroll's tire change.

Stroll was doing pretty great up untill that point. I was also impressed with Stroll's demeaner and calm, controlled race pace. He did absolutely nothing wrong and I was severely impressed with his argument that changing to Slicks or even fresh intermediates was not the right decision. Probably there was the same potential to do as Perez and Hamilton did, run the intermediates into slicks.
Either way, Stroll was doing quite well with the tires in turkey. Not as good and controlled as Checo, but still impressively good.
I do believe that the statements above are true and would explain their strategy too, as it influenced the tires by a good margin and as such Stroll's performance.

I was really bummed out that, especially after the stop, Stroll's performance was completely gone, and I noticed his frustration - quite understandable. It remains very questionable whether he would have been able to win either way, but he very much could have had things not went haywire.

After all, Stroll was doing much better than Perez during the race, but at some point - probably due to damage - fell back. Had that not happened, he could have maintained a good pace and lead. Verstappen was really the only threat but that was neutralized when Max had his spin behind Perez and then came into traffic which he could not escape from, and then had some more spins.

Stroll unfortunately ended up in the same 'traffic' situation as Max, but not by his own mistake at all, Stroll did NOTHING wrong, but the combo of damage and less than perfect strategy ruined his guaranteed podium finish.

Hamilton was again on another level and in the end untouchable.

Looking at how embarassing Bottas drove, in a car that atleast was top 6 material, the fact Hamilton had everything under control was remarkable, i would have enjoyed seeing a potential fight between Stroll and Hamilton.

It is what it is though, but I really felt honest heartache for Lance, he should have and had earned to finish P2.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

diffuser

That doesn't really confirm that the 2nd set of inters would have helped Stroll, if he hadn't had damage. Bottas still had problems with his 2nd set. Since neither Hamilton or Perez tried a 2nd set, that can be neither supported or denied. It's just out there. In fact, since RP seemed to genrate more heat in their tires in Quali, one would think he would have still struggled on the 2nd set.