2014-2020 Formula One 1.6l V6 turbo engine formula

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
gruntguru

Re: 2014-2020 Formula One 1.6l V6 turbo engine formula

F1 has always been a development series. There are plenty of legacy and classic series to remind fans of the combustion days.
je suis charlie

Big Tea

NL_Fer wrote:
15 Nov 2020, 15:18
mzso wrote:
10 Nov 2020, 12:38
NL_Fer wrote:
09 Nov 2020, 19:56
Why not settle for a nice high revving noisy spec ICE and let them develop the electric part?
I don't think they will go backwards in technology.
Why not? Combustion technology is on a dead end. No manufacturer is interested.

A noisy revving ICE could be comparable to the sparking plates, under the cars. It is just there to emulate the legacy how F1 used to be. It has no further purpose than, to showcase something people liked about F1.

Manufacturers only want to develop electric drivelines, so let them develop that part of the drive line and keep the ICE for the legacy of F1.
I thought the electric car would be 90%+ for late 2020's, but I am having second thoughts now. So many of the manufacturers look to be still developing some sort of ICE and looking more towards the Hybrid route, probably due to the (perceived anyway) charging issues. It may well be an alternate to petrol/gasoline as we use today, but still something that goes 'bang' when its lit, as it is so easy to fill up on.

Also somewhat misleading is that companies, and governments tell us no more more after 20xx, but thy do not clarify they mean gasoline/petrol ONLY, no mention of Hybrids still being OK to make sell and use.

I see a shift in many vehicles such as public transport and delivery etc, but feel the ICE could hang about for some considerable time yet and racing is still the best place to develop them
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

mzso

Big Tea wrote:
16 Nov 2020, 00:35
I see a shift in many vehicles such as public transport and delivery etc, but feel the ICE could hang about for some considerable time yet and racing is still the best place to develop them
It's even better to develop forward thinking technology such as electric drive. :)
Big Tea wrote:
So many of the manufacturers look to be still developing some sort of ICE and looking more towards the Hybrid route, probably due to the (perceived anyway) charging issues.
I claim no clairvoyance. But I'm quite sure most of them are ill equipped to deal with electric drive. Tesla, Nissan, Renault are in a substantial lead. And only tesla has the good batteries so far. (They're developing them in-house)

Big Tea

mzso wrote:
16 Nov 2020, 01:10
Big Tea wrote:
It's even better to develop forward thinking technology such as electric drive. :)
Big Tea wrote:
So many of the manufacturers look to be still developing some sort of ICE and looking more towards the Hybrid route, probably due to the (perceived anyway) charging issues.
I claim no clairvoyance. But I'm quite sure most of them are ill equipped to deal with electric drive. Tesla, Nissan, Renault are in a substantial lead. And only tesla has the good batteries so far. (They're developing them in-house)
I don't see the electric car as the hold up, they are ideal in every way,: except charging.
If you look at your own town, which I have no idea where it may be, I think you would see 50-75% of people do not have access to 'plug it' at home. You may have what we cal in UK, an Estate, with 1000 houses with a drive or access to charging, but closer to the centre you have a block(s) with 1000 residences and maybe 50 basement slots and charging access.

Until the car is able to charge in 10-15 min at most, people will not 'trust' to a plug in.

NL_Fer

185kw charging is already there, tested and finalized. It could charge a 45kwh in 15 minutes, good for 2 hours driving. And they are already working on 300-350kw charging. Also Nickel free batteries etc, there nothing holding back electric driving.

What we should not try, to retry another V6 hybrid. It was no fun to listen to, to expensive, not interesting for smaller manufacturers, unable to market for the bigger manufacturers. Why would we try it again.

It should be more easy for the ICE to be loud and be associated with a sports or supercar.

More important, the electric part: F1 should show the fans, when a driver is using the electric boost. Than, if Alonso is using it and making a marvelous overtake, people would remember that when they drive a Renault hybrid or EV which the same electric boost feeling. Already, people tend to really appreciate the instant torque of an electric propulsion. F1 and the manufacturers should market that.

mzso

Big Tea wrote:
16 Nov 2020, 13:24
I don't see the electric car as the hold up, they are ideal in every way,: except charging.
If you look at your own town, which I have no idea where it may be, I think you would see 50-75% of people do not have access to 'plug it' at home. You may have what we cal in UK, an Estate, with 1000 houses with a drive or access to charging, but closer to the centre you have a block(s) with 1000 residences and maybe 50 basement slots and charging access.
I don't think charging is actually a problem, chargers can be deployed relatively easily, wherever the cars are parked.
Batteries themselves are a tad underdeveloped, and so far costly. Also the manufacturers didn't master the design of EVs, with battery packs in particular, but also don't have significant know-how with motors and power electronics either. All of this takes time to develop. And as such for costs to go down.

Big Tea

mzso wrote:
16 Nov 2020, 21:04
Big Tea wrote:
16 Nov 2020, 13:24
I don't think charging is actually a problem, chargers can be deployed relatively easily, wherever the cars are parked.
Batteries themselves are a tad underdeveloped, and so far costly. Also the manufacturers didn't master the design of EVs, with battery packs in particular, but also don't have significant know-how with motors and power electronics either. All of this takes time to develop. And as such for costs to go down.
Don't know where you live so cant comment, but in UK, well my part of it anyway, I would be very surprised if half the households can get to plug a charger in without trailing the lead dangerously cross a pavement (sidewalk) or dropping it out a window several floors above.
In my street, I am lucky, my side has a 'bay' or short drive, but all the other side do not. So it would be trail a lead.

In 'town' a very small town there is literally no access at all. Cars are parked at some of the kerbs, but people have to walk between them.

The blocks are around 20 to 50 households and only 3 have parking below the building inside and 2 outside.
So a 'straw poll' seems well less than half.

Even if fast charging comes down to 15 to 20 min, that means the car has to be there for probably 20 to 30 min. Look at the throughput becoming a tailback in a filling station if a tanker is in. and that is with a 'stopped time' of 5 min max.

Even if half the bays in a supermarkets have charging, I don't think I would be happy to depend on finding one in any reasonable time. I have tried several electic cars, and hope it does become viable as I like them

gruntguru

Big Tea wrote:
16 Nov 2020, 21:45
Even if fast charging comes down to 15 to 20 min, that means the car has to be there for probably 20 to 30 min. Look at the throughput becoming a tailback in a filling station if a tanker is in. and that is with a 'stopped time' of 5 min max.

Even if half the bays in a supermarkets have charging, I don't think I would be happy to depend on finding one in any reasonable time. I have tried several electic cars, and hope it does become viable as I like them.
- Fast charging will be down to 5 minutes before combustion cars disappear from the roads.
- A large proportion of charging will still be done overnight at home so filling stations will not do 100% of "filling" as is the case for liquid fuel.
- Charging stations will appear everywhere there are car parks - shopping centres, workplaces, kerbside etc - again reducing the reliance on "filling stations"
- In a large number of instances, "filling stations" will not be used to "fill up". It will be a case of - my battery is nearly flat - drop in and buy a coffee - charge the car for 3 minutes - enough to get me home where the charging is cheaper and slower (good for battery life).
je suis charlie

Big Tea

gruntguru wrote:
17 Nov 2020, 00:06
Big Tea wrote:
16 Nov 2020, 21:45

Even if half the bays in a supermarkets have charging, I don't think I would be happy to depend on finding one in any reasonable time. I have tried several electic cars, and hope it does become viable as I like them.
- Fast charging will be down to 5 minutes before combustion cars disappear from the roads.
- A large proportion of charging will still be done overnight at home so filling stations will not do 100% of "filling" as is the case for liquid fuel.
- Charging stations will appear everywhere there are car parks - shopping centres, workplaces, kerbside etc - again reducing the reliance on "filling stations"
- In a large number of instances, "filling stations" will not be used to "fill up". It will be a case of - my battery is nearly flat - drop in and buy a coffee - charge the car for 3 minutes - enough to get me home where the charging is cheaper and slower (good for battery life).
Same problem. 'At home' is probably not possible for about 80% of people.
Those who live on 'main roads' as they are called in UK, blocks, tenements or anywhere you can not park off the road and where people do not walk. Topping up is fine if you have some where todo your 'main' charge.

As I say, I am lucky I can, but looking around I am in a small minority. They are not going to make cars 'the masses' will not buy. There has to be an alternative, and for the foreseeable future that has t be hybrid. So why not Hybrid F1?

mzso

NL_Fer wrote:
16 Nov 2020, 19:06
It should be more easy for the ICE to be loud and be associated with a sports or supercar.
NL_Fer wrote:
09 Nov 2020, 19:56
Why not settle for a nice high revving noisy spec ICE and let them develop the electric part?
Not everyone's has noise-philia. You're just romanticizing old tech with no good reason.

I'd sooner see them going with fuel cells than high revving fuel-guzzling dinosaurs. Though I think that sort of foresight is beyond them at this point.
I suspect some wackier hybrid concept will come to pass. Maybe a series hybrid with 2 cylinder engines. (Though turbines would make more sense)

mzso

Big Tea wrote:
17 Nov 2020, 00:14
Those who live on 'main roads' as they are called in UK, blocks, tenements or anywhere you can not park off the road and where people do not walk. Topping up is fine if you have some where todo your 'main' charge.
I don't think you're getting his point. Wherever people park there can be chargers. Laying some cables and installing a some charging posts is not rocket science.
Plus EVs won't just appear for everyone at a snap of a finger. As the number of cars start to increase chargers will appear on a building/neighborhood/community/precinct whatever scale, if home charging is not possible.

Big Tea

mzso wrote:
17 Nov 2020, 00:27
Big Tea wrote:
I don't think you're getting his point. Wherever people park there can be chargers. Laying some cables and installing a some charging posts is not rocket science.
Plus EVs won't just appear for everyone at a snap of a finger. As the number of cars start to increase chargers will appear on a building/neighborhood/community/precinct whatever scale, if home charging is not possible.
Show me! If I cant see them I will not buy one

(edit. sorry come over far more bolshi than i intended )

Big Tea

Big Tea wrote:
17 Nov 2020, 00:45
mzso wrote:
17 Nov 2020, 00:27
Big Tea wrote:
Show me! If I cant see them I will not buy one

(edit. sorry come over far more bolshi than i intended )
Having said all that, I was surprised to find how many charging points there are in UK.

https://www.zap-map.com/statistics/#points

However, within 10 miles of me there are 11 including those on the motorway, and those at the dealer.
So very selective.

Mattchu

What I`m hoping to see with regards to charging of electric vehicles in the future is a system a bit like some phones are nowadays, i.e. Wireless charging.

Each car will be registered with a unique ID linked to a charge card of some sort. The charger will then be laid in the ground, driveway, car park, work parking spot, etc, etc, then when you pull over the top the battery will take whatever charge it needs and the card is charged for it.
People wouldn`t need to worry about plugging in and the like, the car would warn if you were getting low and you would just locate the nearest charge pad.

Obviously this is a long way off and would need a big infrastuture change [relaying drives, car parks, etc] but if the ability was there to do it both ways, wouldn`t that be cool...

mzso

Mattchu wrote:
17 Nov 2020, 18:09
What I`m hoping to see with regards to charging of electric vehicles in the future is a system a bit like some phones are nowadays, i.e. Wireless charging.
I think its a humonguous waste. Building all that infrastructure, hauling around all that dead weight, wasting a good portion of electricity even. Just because some are too lazy to plug a plug. Even for them that some auto plugging mechanism would make more sense.