General Honda F1 Topic

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
ispano6

Re: General Honda F1 Topic

They should have Hachigo step down. The idiot thinks people in the US don't want to buy EVs. And look, the Honda E just won the Car of the Year in Germany, and yet there still is no talk of selling it in the states. Range is not the absolute gauge in whether an EV will sell. And even still, they ought to use packaging that would allow for a battery swap/upgrade when higher range batteries become available from Honda.

Honda should also look for design inspiration for US product outside of the US. The Honda E, Avancier/UR-V, X-NV, Step Wagon design language would be vastly more interesting and appealing. Hopefully Honda's recent restructure will bring Honda's design language back to the designs used in Asia.

JordanMugen

ispano6 wrote:
20 Nov 2020, 18:15
Honda should also look for design inspiration for US product outside of the US. The Honda E, Avancier/UR-V, X-NV, Step Wagon design language would be vastly more interesting and appealing. Hopefully Honda's recent restructure will bring Honda's design language back to the designs used in Asia.
This was designed in the US and looks fine:

Whereas I don't know where the 2022 Civic was designed but it's so bad, it looks like a big slabby blob. It's so boring and out-dated looking, it's just not the crisp & futuristic styling we expect from Honda. It just doesn't look a Japanese car, it looks like a boring German car. :cry:

The Civic should have that nice character-line and flared rear arch like the TLX has, yet it doesn't -- just a boring flat surface. The TLX has much nicer rear lights too, the Civic seems so generic by comparison. :(

Even the Civic sedan from 16 years ago is a nicer design :(, so much more crisp.

The whole point of a new car is that it's supposed to look better than the old one, surely? :cry:

Anyway, this is besides the point, but the 2022 Civic is really the only Honda car design I've particularly disliked. Thankfully everything else is good. Honda e is obviously excellent like you say, new Jazz is a smart little car, N-Box is delightfully boxy etc. :)

Conservative styling is fine for the bigger Accord, Pilot and Ridgeline, but for the new Civic to have so conservative styling is just not right IMO... such a step backward from the previous-gen Civic and ILX. If you parked the three cars side-by-side Mk10 Civic, Mk11 Civic & ILX, people would struggle to pick the Mk11 Civic as the newest model of the three. :|

Marti_EF3

It was a fail when they designed another Civic for Europe, and keeping the FD2 in Japan. Now all Civic designs seems it's European... Also they went worse when decided not to make double wishbone suspension anymore... Lucky I've the first Civic with that suspension setup :roll:

etusch

JordanMugen wrote:
20 Nov 2020, 19:22
ispano6 wrote:
20 Nov 2020, 18:15
https://cnet4.cbsistatic.com/img/CUkEDP ... ec-001.jpg

Whereas I don't know where the 2022 Civic was designed but it's so bad, it looks like a big slabby blob. It's so boring and out-dated looking, it's just not the crisp & futuristic styling we expect from Honda. It just doesn't look a Japanese car, it looks like a boring German car. :cry:
https://cdn.motor1.com/images/mgl/NREp2 ... totype.jpg

The Civic should have that nice character-line and flared rear arch like the TLX has, yet it doesn't -- just a boring flat surface. The TLX has much nicer rear lights too, the Civic seems so generic by comparison. :(

Even the Civic sedan from 16 years ago is a nicer design :(, so much more crisp.
https://www.conceptcarz.com/images/Hond ... 1-1024.jpg

The whole point of a new car is that it's supposed to look better than the old one, surely? :cry:

Anyway, this is besides the point, but the 2022 Civic is really the only Honda car design I've particularly disliked. Thankfully everything else is good. Honda e is obviously excellent like you say, new Jazz is a smart little car, N-Box is delightfully boxy etc. :)

Conservative styling is fine for the bigger Accord, Pilot and Ridgeline, but for the new Civic to have so conservative styling is just not right IMO... such a step backward from the previous-gen Civic and ILX. If you parked the three cars side-by-side Mk10 Civic, Mk11 Civic & ILX, people would struggle to pick the Mk11 Civic as the newest model of the three. :|
I like acuras especially inner designs of them.
I also think that new civic looks like german cars but it is not completely like them. It looks like them from inside and back view but from side and front it is like accord. In the same time it's front has mazda's 3d front design. They just need to work on on front a bit more, I think.
Last edited by etusch on 20 Nov 2020, 23:14, edited 1 time in total.

etusch

Marti_EF3 wrote:
20 Nov 2020, 21:05
It was a fail when they designed another Civic for Europe, and keeping the FD2 in Japan. Now all Civic designs seems it's European... Also they went worse when decided not to make double wishbone suspension anymore... Lucky I've the first Civic with that suspension setup :roll:
Until now there were 21 different type of civic. But Honda decided to make it only one civic for whole world. So they will produce it somewhere in the world and send everywhere same car. They are closing england and turkey factories. This also reduce their development efforts. Current civic has very good suspension even better than upper segment cars. If it has double wishbone it would be overwhelming over rivals.
Last edited by etusch on 20 Nov 2020, 23:14, edited 1 time in total.

PlatinumZealot

I would guess Honda abandonned double wishbone because of cost savings. Less bushings in mcpherson strut and slightly smaller packaging.

This new civic is a slightly smarter looking versions than the swoopy one before it. It looks OK.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Marti_EF3

Yeah, I think it was for cost saving... But the EF, EG and EK versions are really good if setup correctly. I think it was a mistake, but well... They decided to go with a more "comercial" approach, maybe following what Toyota did...

ispano6

JordanMugen wrote:
20 Nov 2020, 19:22
The Acura's can have their own design language, they aren't sold as Hondas. I own the 3G TL still because nothing else has really looked better IMO from Acura worth trading it in for.

I actually like the new 2022 Civic Sedan over the outgoing one. The fake grills looked cheap and ugh, stupid. The Civic Coupe SI looked nice however, but they've killed the coupe. The TYPE-R and SI should have more "flare". The previous gen Civic design language was based on the HSV-010GT, so it was always going to look aggressive and sporty. It's just that one damn LPL who was obsessed with Lamborghini's got his say and added those damn fake vents.

IMO the previous gen Civic looked too silly for mature buyers, except the hatchback and coupes both had a bit of personality that older people could live with. The sedan has an appeal to younger buyers, but I would never want to be seen driving it. The 2022 Civic I could live with.

Funny, that is one of the few I couldn't stand! I had a 1995 Civic Coupe and that was the best looking.

Actually, that isn't Honda's product design philosophy. The way they design cars is to alternate the audience appeal so that the previous gen doesn't suddenly drop in sales. It's to keep the resale value of the previous gens from tanking.

The Honda E is reminiscent of the original Civic, which I like because of the modern+retro look. It also doesn't look anything like a Tesla, or anything else that is a Honda badged offering. The Honda Sports EV may be my next car if it becomes available and I'm currently planning to make my garage EV car ready. Though we will likely always have one petrol car and probably will get the upcoming new MDX to replace our Odyssey, but I actually wouldn't mind something like an N-Box or Step wagon (narrow people hauler).

While I agree the Civic ought to be designed for the younger customer the general assumption is that "younger" people are not "interested" in cars. I find that assumption to be misguided but also that younger buyers probably would start with Electric cars or utility oriented cars like the Fit or HR-V. Rumor is that the Integra is going to be revived, but whether it will be in both sedan and coupe form is still yet to be revealed, but it will likely be an Acura anyway and not within the price-range of the "younger" buyer. I just want to see some technology from the F1 program trickle down into Acura products and then that would get my attention. Even a rectangular steering wheel with paddle shifters shaped like an F1 steering wheel would get me interested. It's just that Honda product planners seem to be so detached from the motorsport fanbase that it's kind of a lost cause.

etusch

Marti_EF3

Also what I hate the most about modern cars is that all of them look like vans. I parked my EF just next to a Civic FK8 and my civic looked like a micromachine :lol:

JordanMugen

Marti_EF3 wrote:
21 Nov 2020, 19:07
Also what I hate the most about modern cars is that all of them look like vans. I parked my EF just next to a Civic FK8 and my civic looked like a micromachine :lol:
The Brio is roughly the equivalent to the Civic EF. :wink:

Cars have grown, what can I say. :P

Big Tea

What strikes me about All new cars is how BIG they are. The world is full of big cars, where are the good small to mid ones gone
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

etusch

Big Tea wrote:
21 Nov 2020, 21:54
What strikes me about All new cars is how BIG they are. The world is full of big cars, where are the good small to mid ones gone
when every segment went upper level size, if you want to have same size with your old one then you need to go a segment down then it is almost ok if only matter is size.
I like typeR's ( more power, bigger engine, more cylinders (until 8') are always my favorite) but they were 3 doors until last 2 gen. If I have 2 car it is not important but if I can have only one 5 door ones are better for me. If I could I would buy a typeR with 5 doors and I wouldn't bother anything comes with it. My current civic is also has very hard suspensions. I have 2 kids and sometimes I want to have a bit more space with the car. But generally I am okey with it. I like suvs but I like grip more than space. D segment is ideal for me and bigger than that is just out of my interest. I am only one of millions of potential buyers and I think they are getting data all the time for this.

Marti_EF3

Well, my Civic is not for going with kids. I've only the front seats, and it's now homologated as a 2 seat car. Less weight, more fun. Now my car is around 880kg. :?

But it's a pain to warm up the rear tires. I've been trying few setups with pressures and toe. Also it's very important because I've an oversteer configuration to help with corner entry. Being a FWD, it's the best way I'm confortable dealing corners without having understeer, and also I can put throttle earlier. But it's not the usual setup people do with a Civic.

P.S. Also I'm going -4.15° camber on front :lol:

Big Tea

Marti_EF3 wrote:
22 Nov 2020, 00:42
Well, my Civic is not for going with kids. I've only the front seats, and it's now homologated as a 2 seat car. Less weight, more fun. Now my car is around 880kg. :?

But it's a pain to warm up the rear tires. I've been trying few setups with pressures and toe. Also it's very important because I've an oversteer configuration to help with corner entry. Being a FWD, it's the best way I'm confortable dealing corners without having understeer, and also I can put throttle earlier. But it's not the usual setup people do with a Civic.

P.S. Also I'm going -4.15° camber on front :lol:
From what I see of Civics, I would assume the tyre problem is not helped by huge rims and tiny rubber band profile tyres. I look at some and wonder this quite often ( not jumping to the conclusion this is in your case )
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.