General Honda F1 Topic

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Marti_EF3

Re: General Honda F1 Topic

I wear 195/50/15 at the four wheels. I never liked huge rims, less on a 80's or 90's civic. But even with that, the rears are fuc**** cold when the fronts are on the right temperature. I think I need to go more agressive on toe to warm a bit more the rears... I'm using semi-slick tires, and now I'm going 1.9 bar front and 1.7 bar rear with pressures. But it's hard to find a sweet spot :roll:

PlatinumZealot

Try put more load on the rears. Your can readuc the grip in the front. Or soften up the rear roll bar maybe.

I had an EG SiR as a fun car.. I had nothing special in terms of suspension, basically stock but it was such a quick and nimble car. But I felt very unsafe inside of it. It was like paper and it was so small it got ran over by big pick up twice! I sold it because i felt my luck was running out.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Marti_EF3

PlatinumZealot wrote:
23 Nov 2020, 00:27
Try put more load on the rears. Your can readuc the grip in the front. Or soften up the rear roll bar maybe.

I had an EG SiR as a fun car.. I had nothing special in terms of suspension, basically stock but it was such a quick and nimble car. But I felt very unsafe inside of it. It was like paper and it was so small it got ran over by big pick up twice! I sold it because i felt my luck was running out.
It's scary to drive old cars, right?? :lol: But you feel everything, is what I like of it. But you're right, they are smoking paper compared to modern cars if you have a minimum accident :lol:

bigblue

Gorgeous car. I like that generation and the next (5G), the Civic VTi was lovely.

JordanMugen

PlatinumZealot wrote:
23 Nov 2020, 00:27
I don't feel unsafe driving my EG Civic on the road at all.

I feel a little more concerned about the lack of crashworthiness for circuit driving, however the EG's full tubular side-intrusion bars are very impressive, and quite different to the pressed steel items on modern cars.

Anyway Honda could increase their sporty hatch market share by offering a Jazz Si 1.5T for the Fiesta ST crowd, and a black leather/sunroof/optional autobox/no bodykit/maybe SH-AWD Civic Type S 2.0T for the Golf R crowd. I wonder why they don't? :?:
Marti_EF3 wrote:
22 Nov 2020, 01:00
I wear 195/50/15 at the four wheels.
Same as me! :)

Have you considered 205/50 R15 or 195/55 R15?

How aggressively is your chassis setup for oversteer? It's possible to overdo these things so maybe you could reduce rear swaybar size or rear spring rate a little bit?

Marti_EF3

JordanMugen wrote:
23 Nov 2020, 16:00

Same as me! :)

Have you considered 205/50 R15 or 195/55 R15?

How aggressively is your chassis setup for oversteer? It's possible to overdo these things so maybe you could reduce rear swaybar size or rear spring rate a little bit?
Currently I've OEM front sway bar (I think it's 17mm) and a 22mm rear sway bar. Also I've a lot of negative front camber (-4.15) compared to rear (-1.5). Also I've coilovers with 8kg springs rear and front. I've more parts to put in, but because of this pandemic and other things I've stopped working on it. I've an helicoidal LSD from a limited edition CRX from japan, 4.5 final drive, semi-ceramic clutch and a light weight flywheel.

But I'm not sure how to end the chasis setup, because the oversteer helps a LOT in cornering, but have that side effects...

bigblue

Sounds like Button, need the set-up just so, then you're super-fast ;-)

For anyone who's interested there's an article on the hondaracingf1 site about the last time they were in Mugello (2003), with some nice pics to remember the BAR Honda days.

JordanMugen

Marti_EF3 wrote:
23 Nov 2020, 16:22
Currently I've OEM front sway bar (I think it's 17mm) and a 22mm rear sway bar. Also I've a lot of negative front camber (-4.15) compared to rear (-1.5). Also I've coilovers with 8kg springs rear and front. I've more parts to put in, but because of this pandemic and other things I've stopped working on it. I've an helicoidal LSD from a limited edition CRX from japan, 4.5 final drive, semi-ceramic clutch and a light weight flywheel.

But I'm not sure how to end the chasis setup, because the oversteer helps a LOT in cornering, but have that side effects...
Very interesting! :D

Don't FWD race cars normally run the huge -4 deg negative camber on the rear, to reduce rear tyre grip and (perhaps) speed up rear tyre warmup? With, instead, normal amounts of camber (-2, -2.5 deg) up front?

While can having a massively bigger rear sway bar than front cause some handling weirdness? Not just the rear axle wanting to overtake the front, but also causing weirdness and inducing plough understeer in other parts of the corner? :)

My spring rates on the EG are 9kg/mm up front (1.95 Hz by my estimate) and 8kg/mm at the rear (2.6 Hz?), and that already feels plenty pointy to me... I can only imagine what going slightly softer up front and adding a (relatively) huge rear sway bar would do! :shock: :o Sounds like a most exciting setup you have! =D>

Have you considered fitting an aftermarket front sway bar as well, to even the car out? :?:

Marti_EF3 wrote:
I'm using semi-slick tires, and now I'm going 1.9 bar front and 1.7 bar rear with pressures. But it's hard to find a sweet spot :roll:
Then having backed off the amount of oversteer, perhaps you could up the rear tyre pressure and then the rears would warm up faster? :?:

Marti_EF3

JordanMugen wrote:
24 Nov 2020, 04:39
Marti_EF3 wrote:
23 Nov 2020, 16:22

Very interesting! :D

Don't FWD race cars normally run the huge -4 deg negative camber on the rear, to reduce rear tyre grip and (perhaps) speed up rear tyre warmup? With, instead, normal amounts of camber (-2, -2.5 deg) up front?

While can having a massively bigger rear sway bar than front cause some handling weirdness? Not just the rear axle wanting to overtake the front, but also causing weirdness and inducing plough understeer in other parts of the corner? :)

My spring rates on the EG are 9kg/mm up front (1.95 Hz by my estimate) and 8kg/mm at the rear (2.6 Hz?), and that already feels plenty pointy to me... I can only imagine what going slightly softer up front and adding a (relatively) huge rear sway bar would do! :shock: :o Sounds like a most exciting setup you have! =D>

Have you considered fitting an aftermarket front sway bar as well, to even the car out? :?:

Marti_EF3 wrote:
I'm using semi-slick tires, and now I'm going 1.9 bar front and 1.7 bar rear with pressures. But it's hard to find a sweet spot :roll:
Then having backed off the amount of oversteer, perhaps you could up the rear tyre pressure and then the rears would warm up faster? :?:
The Gr.A Civics on Japan were running a similar setup, having a more oversteer behavior. I don't feel any strange handling, I did in a way I'm confortable with it. I like driving with this setup, the rear slide a bit helping to turn. But I'd like the rears to be a bit warm...

I know it's not the usual setup you find in a FWD car, but I like to go with the unusual ways, like the old school Gr.A dangerous setups, also they were running a lot of rear camber, but I need to buy rear adjustable camber arm :lol: The main problem is with slow corners. I've been on Barcelona several times, and the final chicane I did spin two times due too much oversteer

With the pressures, I thought going with a little less pressure would help warm the tires faster
Last edited by Marti_EF3 on 24 Nov 2020, 11:05, edited 1 time in total.

Tommy Cookers

do people use rear-wheel toe ?

Marti_EF3

That's the Gr.A Civic EA-T (3th Gen) with the same engine than mine. Rear camber is also massive. And I love that sound with the agressive cam =P~

And here the EG

And... :twisted:

Wouter

The Power of Dreams!

JordanMugen

MP4-6 is best. :D
Tommy Cookers wrote:
24 Nov 2020, 10:57
do people use rear-wheel toe ?
Yes, these old compact Hondas have adjustable toe on the rear trailing arms. :)

etusch

Wouter

Yuki live on Insta @fiaf2championship at 13.15h local time.

The Power of Dreams!