A $1200 Mass Produced Electric Car

Breaking news, useful data or technical highlights or vehicles that are not meant to race. You can post commercial vehicle news or developments here.
Please post topics on racing variants in "other racing categories".
nzjrs

A $1200 Mass Produced Electric Car

Suspension, rack and pinion steering, lights, 1HP motor, batteries, a stereo and heater+fan.

A remarkable piece of engineering for the price.

Big Tea

Re: A $1200 Mass Produced Electric Car

(https://www.youtube.com /watch?v=1Jbf_cIKDe0)
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

Cold Fussion

What can a 1hp electric car do that an electric cargo bike can't do?

NathanE

Keep you dry in the rain?

Fulcrum

Cold Fussion wrote:
03 Dec 2020, 06:48
What can a 1hp electric car do that an electric cargo bike can't do?
Give you an unreasonable sense of safety?

V12-POWER

Its funny how this oversized matchbox toy is a “remarkable piece of engineering” but the moment you swap the electric motor for an ICE, its just a crap box

This double standards on this forum are something I have never seen in my life

nzjrs

V12-POWER wrote:
04 Dec 2020, 12:25
Its funny how this oversized matchbox toy is a “remarkable piece of engineering” but the moment you swap the electric motor for an ICE, its just a crap box

This double standards on this forum are something I have never seen in my life
What?

strad

@V12-POWER .. I understand your message but your delivery leaves something to be desired. :wink:
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

strad

I find it odd that in 2020 the Citroen has drum brakes... I'm sure they probably work just fine most of the time but I would think it would actually be cheaper to use small discs or even outsource them.
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

Greg Locock

Drum brakes are lighter, easier to package, guarantee zero drag, and self-servo. They have some very significant disadvantages of course. If you are using regen then they become emergency brakes.

nzjrs

strad wrote:
06 Dec 2020, 00:49
@V12-POWER .. I understand your message but your delivery leaves something to be desired. :wink:
It was a ridiculous comment by V12 because very little of the video being interesting is contingent on the car being electric. The manufacturing efficiency and design decisions to keep the costs down are the interesting and most discussed part, how it was assembled, how truck-like the suspension is, etc etc.

(BTW: in the video the do defend and remark that it too has drum brakes instead of disk brakes)

Big Tea

Greg Locock wrote:
06 Dec 2020, 07:44
Drum brakes are lighter, easier to package, guarantee zero drag, and self-servo. They have some very significant disadvantages of course. If you are using regen then they become emergency brakes.
The biggest advantage of disks is anti-fade with repeated heavy use. If this car is regen, there will not be much heavy use, and with the intended use there will not be high speed stops either repeated or not.

As an 'eco' aside, the dust is retained in the drum too.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

coaster

Carmakers are dictating what we should drive instead of consulting the public, ikea should sell a knocked down kit of an electric car with an army jeep / mini moke style of minimalism and built to last forever. That could capture a chunk of the market.

gruntguru

V12-POWER wrote:
04 Dec 2020, 12:25
The moment you swap the electric motor for an ICE it becomes unsuitable for the intended purpose. (Think emissions, noise, frequent stop-restart, energy costs etc in a city environment).

Even golf carts are rarely built with ICE any more.
je suis charlie

Greg Locock

"Carmakers are dictating what we should drive instead of consulting the public"
No, one of the reasons an Ikea plywood car could not be sold is regulations. A plywood car that is legal to sell for on-road use in most jurisdictions would cost more than a current car, because, obviously, if plywood was cheaper we'd use that.

You are right in some ways, car manufacturers mostly consult with likely new car buyers when clinicing proposals. So it becomes a self selecting circle. They say they want everything run off a 12" ipad screen, whereas you and I know damn well that in 5 years time a set of traditional knobs and switches are at least fixable, even if not more reliable. We don't want 40 profile tires because we have to pay for replacement tires, and wheels when they buckle. But we don't buy new cars so we don't have much of a say.