[MVRC] Mantium Virtual Racecar Challenge 2020 (Grand Prix Cars)

Post here information about your own engineering projects, including but not limited to building your own car or designing a virtual car through CAD.
BBackhuijs

Re: [MVRC] Mantium Virtual Racecar Challenge 2020 (Grand Prix Cars)

Frontwing: 28%
Rearwing: 25%
Floor: 47%
(Note these numbers can change a bit between fast and long CFD settings)

Very cool to see some big updates by most teams for the last race, should by an interesting fight for the top spots.
Unfortunately we did not manage to bring any to our car and thus we will be running the Japan spec, hopefully its still fast enough to have an edge on the competition but seeing the recent developments of some teams Im not so sure about this..

I would also not mind sharing some more details after the finals race concerning numbers or even some post processing pictures, especially since we move to new regulations next year anyway.
MVRC - GCBBcorse

MaccaRacing

FW 32%
RW 24%
Floor 44%

(without considering body, wheels, suspensions, etc..)

etsmc

how are you guys working out these percentages?

LVDH

etsmc wrote:
18 Nov 2020, 03:49
how are you guys working out these percentages?
Have you never had a look in the reports? There you can see the forces on all parts.

Here are the cars for the final race:
https://mantiumchallenge.com/cars-mvrc-brazil-2020/
Some images of cars that are reruns are missing. They will race though.

Thomas2019

Hi,
slightly off-topic.
If anyone has already started working on a 2022 FIA regulation car or is interested to start, please PM me.
My company is looking for a CFD suitable geometry that resembles 2022 cars for test and demo purposes.

Regards
Thomas

machin

So the final race is almost upon us...

Good luck to everyone, the video will be live on this link at 13:00 CET tomorrow (Sunday 29th November)!

COMPETITION CAR ENGINEERING -Home of VIRTUAL STOPWATCH

CAEdevice

Well, thanks Richard for the video and thanks André for the simulations.

The 2020 challenge is over. Despite the gap from P1 and P2 I have many reasons to be happy with the car and I am confident for the next year. I am sorry for my stupid errors that caused three penalties this year, I could have been on the final podium.

Thanks to the staff and congratulations to everyone, it was amazing to see the evolution of your cars.

BBackhuijs

First a big thank you to Machin and LVDH for organizing this amazing competition and to the sponsers, MantiumCAE and CAEdevice!
Secondly congratulations to Variante who did a mega job with his victory in the overall championship and congratulations to Koldskaal with his second place in the championship!
And last a big thank you to all other competitors who made this such a challenging competition!
We as a team can also be satisfied with our third victory of the season and third place overall in the championship, when beginning this challenge we never expected these results which just shows how much we were able to learn this year and which we will certainly use to build and even faster car next year when we wont settle for an overall third place anymore.
MVRC - GCBBcorse

MaccaRacing

Ahhhhh! Almost got my first podium... As always, I had miscorrelation regarding the balance.. Wonder how I could get rid of it.. In any case, thanks to Richard and André for this opportunity, you made my free time after work very very busy! Congratulations to Variante for the championship, but GCBB deserves the biggest spot! I hope to catch you soon next year...

variante

Congratulations to the guys of GCBB Corse for yet another victory! Probably the best rookie season ever (yeah, we say this every year to someone... It means the the level of this competition keeps rising).
You're also giving me a great excuse to buy a Threadripper or some proper CPU like that, so thank you :P

Congratulations also to all the other guys, who made this challenge highly competitive and technically interesting.
And let's not forget about the hard work of the organizers and judges, Andre' and Richard.
This collective efford has made this competition so unique and special!

\:D/ I'm very happy for conquering my third championship! Makes me proud! \:D/
A nice celebratory livery incoming (to thank the sponsors as well), with a tech review included.

PS: am i looking at 4 Italian teams in the top 5?

etsmc

Well done to all for getting through this season with some challenges along the way.
Congratulations variant for another championship.

Happy I could get a car submitted for this race especially without a penalty. let's see what the next challenge will bring if there is another as I look forward to participating again.

Ft5fTL

Congratulations to GCCBcorse for victory and Variante for the championship. Thanks to everyone that makes this competition this competitive and a special thanks to the organizers for doing something time consuming like this while having daily jobs, families etc.

I'm happy with my last entrance, big leap from the start of the season and with a fully legal car for a change :lol:. If i only switched the concept earlier i think i could be more competetive. Still good experience for next year.
Mantium Challenge - Pure Power Racing

LVDH

Hi guys,
sorry for the late reply.

Big congratulations to Variante!

Also congratulations to GCBB corse. Not only a third victory but also clearly Rookie of the Year.

Big thanks to Richard.

Without him taking care of so many things in the background this year would not have been possible.

Next steps are to complete the certificates for the champ and rookie of this year and unfortunately still I have to finish those of last year.
Also with the championship having been around for so long, we need a hall of fame on the homepage.
For next year, we will work on the future F1 rules. Also on the CFD side, I want to improve MantiumFlow to morph the rear suspension when changing rake. This will make things more realistic and will allow us to take more advantage of this parameter.
And then there is quite a surprise, I have been working on at the end of last season. Richard might remember what I am talking about. I hope you guys will like it...

It should be evident that there is a lot of work that needs to get done, so help is very welcome.

And one more question from me:
What do you guys think about an online conference where we could all get to know each other and possibly have a beer?

MaccaRacing

Beer is always appreciated 😎

CAEdevice

LVDH wrote: Hi guys,
sorry for the late reply.
Big congratulations to Variante!
Also congratulations to GCBB corse. Not only a third victory but also clearly Rookie of the Year.
Big thanks to Richard.

Without him taking care of so many things in the background this year would not have been possible.
Thanks to the staff also on my part, I'm realizing how heavy the work behind the championship is.
LVDH wrote: Next steps are to complete the certificates for the champ and rookie of this year and unfortunately still I have to finish those of last year.
Also with the championship having been around for so long, we need a hall of fame on the homepage.
For next year, we will work on the future F1 rules. Also on the CFD side, I want to improve MantiumFlow to morph the rear suspension when changing rake. This will make things more realistic and will allow us to take more advantage of this parameter.
And then there is quite a surprise, I have been working on at the end of last season. Richard might remember what I am talking about. I hope you guys will like it...
It should be evident that there is a lot of work that needs to get done, so help is very welcome.
I agree with you about everything. I only add this point: in my opinion the axis of rotation for the rake (in order to make it a more advantageous option and a more realistic too) should be placed a little further back respect the axis of the front wheels (maybe near the center of mass). If you look at F1 cars, the T-tray region, when the car has a rake setup, does not rise from the ground, on the contrary it looks lower. Anyway, with F1 2022-like rules, the rake setup should not be so important.
LVDH wrote: And one more question from me:
What do you guys think about an online conference where we could all get to know each other and possibly have a beer?
Fantastic idea! I am available almost every day during European day time.
The meeting could be virtual, but the beer should be real.

Now some considerations on the awards. I apologize to Koldakaal for the delay in last year's prize for first place (of course my team is not considered for the awards). I worked on CAD models and I encountered two problems: one is related to the (bad) quality of the modeling, which can be solved by re-modeling the machine, but the other is unsolvable: all the details that are less than 20mm thick tend to disappear both in scale 1:20 (the typical scale used for F1 models) and 1:18 or 1:16 or 1:12 (most common scale for generic cars).

I can go on with the project of a 3D print this year (if Variante agrees about sending me the 3D geometry of the winning car), with some semplifications (for example: removing the air outlet grilles, in the rear area of ​​the sidepods, remodeling the diffuser stakes, closing the gaps in the diffuser). In that case I need to ask you (sorry again) to be patient, because it is a long job and the inconveniences due to health restrictions are hindering the work in the office.

The other proposal is to send you the equivalent budget (100€ per car) by pay Paypal or Bitcoin transfer (it may be convenient as Christmas is approaching). I can let me know with a private message if you prefer.

FormulaCFD update: the project is still going on. My target is to provide a basic fram with as muco details as possibile, in order to use only a very very simple set of rules, based on volumes. You could do everything you want, considering that some volumes will be simply cut out or filled by an automated process.

In order to avoid any overlap or annoyance for MVRC, the first edition of the race will be quite informal, more test than an overly rigorous organization. A sort of "zero edition", more a training than a race.

Finally: congratulations again to Variante and GCBBs. Your cars were much superior to mine and even if I think I could guess were you found all that downforce, and even if I worked in the right direction, at least for the last race, I could not do a job as good as yours. =D> =D> =D>